• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fertilizer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin said:
I am pricing fertilizer. Urea is being quoted at 350 a ton and ammonium nitrate at 345. Looks like it's going to cost something to grow grass in Arkansas this year.

$300 here for nitrogen that is 20% ammonium nitrate and 10% Urea, by the truckload. Plus $25 a day for buggy.

I remember Dad fussing when the price of Nitrate of Soda went to $20. Bagged

We fertilize in the fall after the last hay cuttin, with chicken litter, sits all winter thru the rains......and we dont fertilize again until next fall. Runs about $100 a ton, but we got connections, Mr Lilly's Uncle has 2 Big chicken houses.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
We fertilize in the fall after the last hay cuttin, with chicken litter, sits all winter thru the rains......and we dont fertilize again until next fall. Runs about $100 a ton, but we got connections, Mr Lilly's Uncle has 2 Big chicken houses.

YOU'RE PAYING $100 A TON FOR CHICKEN LITTER?

We get it for $25 Ton here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL and we get it cheap, it sells for twice that to others. Ya'll must have more chicken houses than we do around here lol
He has two trucks, and goes to all the houses for Sanderson Farms, and they run out way before they run outta people wantin it.

Red Robin said:
I am pricing fertilizer. Urea is being quoted at 350 a ton and ammonium nitrate at 345. Looks like it's going to cost something to grow grass in Arkansas this year.

Aint that the truth,I think they sit and watch cattle prices,"hey look at all that money those cattle are bringing we need a piece of it"I have never seen cattle prices good without seed, feed or fertilizer prices rising.............good luck
PS and usually all three.

I only pay for the fuel to haul the chicken litter across the road here in GA!

Last wk 18 HUGE to runnin' over loads cost me $32.00 total!!!!

I LOVE my neighbors and their chickens!!!!

Litter should be between $10 and $20. And if you put it out in the fall you will lose most of the N. I think better to stock pile in the fall and winter and spred in the spring when grouth starts.

We've tried it in the spring, and it is too hot, made our lil 4 1/2 acre hay field by the road go from producin 25 round bales to 5.....and didnt git the normal 4 cuttins, just got two. So we put it out in the fall. And it seems to work great.

Lilly I guess you need rain too?
I put out some at 2 tons to the acre last spring and got good rain. It lasted for two cuttings.
I am trying to find some for this spring but having trouble finding it close to home.

I plowed a new field last Friday. It use to be in cotton years ago and then planted in hay. The guy that owns it just let it go and planted for the doves a few times. It was plowed and left rough then burned a few years. I put the bottom plow on it and plan to disk as soon as I can then plant round up ready corn in early March. It is only 13 acres but I hope to make plenty of ear corn to feed next fall. That should be all I want pull with a JD 120 corn snapper and grind with an old JD feed mill.

bobbyj said:
What's rain?

I use to ask my granddad if it was going to rain. He always said " Yes it always rains sooner or later"
So I guess you all in Texas are due for a wet spring.

We ve got a hogbarn right next to a quarter section we have 2 miles east of here. Last year they injected hog manure out of their lagoon into this field and it grew one heck of a crop of corn, never put a bit of man made fertilizer on it and what they injected didnt cost me a dime!!!!!

Wish we had a few more of those barns in this area.

Heres a picture of the crop of corn....

haying006.jpg

When we used to feed hogs, I had a small tanker with a tool bar and a 3 hole manifold on the back. When the corn was almost 2' high, the starter fertilizer would start to be depleted. Then I would haul the liquid pig manure and run between the rows, put the toolbar in and the corn would almost shoot up right behind the tanker!

Ours was a very simple outfit, just 5 S-tine shanks with 6" sweeps that loosened the soil and let the liquid soak in as it ran out of the 3" drop pipes. The toolbar was run by hydraulics from the tractor and you could see a difference in the height of the corn if you were letting the manure run onto the ground without the teeth loosening the dirt. So that tells me that letting it right into the ground does more good than dumping it on top.

It was a good way to utilize the pig manure, but it was a slow process. Had to drive just the right speed (which wasn't very fast) and I only could do 4 rows at a time. But the corn loved it.

They have a big tanker (12000 gallons) and it has about a 20 ft wide bar behind it with spoke wheels on it. AS the wheel turns the tubes are pushed into the dirt. The unit is equipped with GPS so they know exactly what they are applying and where. It really worked. WE call it "black gold"! :wink:

I don't know what others experience is, but we would agitate it really good in the holding tank and it stayed like that lots long enough to get it spread in the field.

Pig manure might start to separate sooner than cattle manure, but even then we never had any problems with it separating in the liquid spreader.

Now that you mention it, I think that there were two little paddle thingies on the drive shaft on ours. On our's, the shaft ran from the PTO, through the tank, to the spreader/impeller on the back end. We would take the impeller off to put the manifold and toolbar on. The newer tankers don't do that anymore. The bearings and seals didn't like the pig manure too well.

I sold mine years ago, so I don't have a very clear picture of what it looked like anymore. I just remember that the corn seemed to explode upwards when that manure hit the roots.

Latest posts