• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fightless Friday, How 'bout some good recipes??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

fh, we got a recipe book from some friends in Texas, he is originally a Pennsylvania Dutchman and the book has some very old recipes. He loved Scrapple from his youth and highlighted the recipe. Have never had it, but it is different than the one you posted. I'll post it just as written in the book.

Scrapple
Boil 3 lbs Pork sausage meat, broken into fine bits, in 3 qts. water. Add 1 lb. beef liver if desired. Cook until meat is very well done. (DO NOT TASTE PORK MIXTURE UNTIL FINISHED COOKING). Add Dried corn meal into meat broth until you have very thick mixture. Spoon into five loaf pans. When cold, slice in thin slices and put on baking sheet in 375 degree oven, turn once. Bake to delicate crispness. Serve with syrup. Can also be fried.

The book is dated 1987 but the recipes were the authors' grandmothers and the pictures have wood cook stoves and all of the women have on their bonnets. There is stuff in the book that I would never put in my mouth :eek: Also, they used very little in the form of spices, alot of vinegar and whatever they could raise, interesting

sw, to my thinking there is nothing as delectable as seeing a capable man cooking in the kitchen in his stocking feet. :D yum!

Scrapple: we like scrapple best when it is seasoned well with pepper and sage, fried crisp on the outside and served with eggs and bottle of ketchup.

The mention of taco soup reminded me of a Canadian recipe for
Pizza Soup which we like:
Saute chopped small onion, 1/4 cup green pepper and 1/2 c sliced mushrooms til softened.
Add 1 can 28 oz plum tomatoes (don't drain)
Add 1 cup beef stock
1 c sliced pepperoni (about 5 oz)
1/2 tsp dried basil. Heat thoroughly. Ladle into 4 bowls and sprinkle on shredded mozzarella cheese. Broil or nuke for 1-1/2 min. til cheese melts and is bubbly. Serve with crusty bread.

Ranchwife,

Right now, we are simmering your yummy sounding potato soup recipe. This morning, got up, glaze of ice on all our windows (on the outside), take daughter to the bus, glaze of ice on the dirt road (Boy, was THAT fun - NOT) 6 mi round trip, been 20 degrees all day, wind blowing, snowing. We're COLD so we decided to copy all these wonderful recipes and put them in our green cookbook. Spousie and I put together the soup (I love working in the kitchen with that man), talked politics, etc, and now we're letting the soup simmer. We'll let ya know!!! Thanks so much for the yummy recipes!!! I might get another thread started for this summer, for grillin' and chillin'. Not now, it's COLD outside!!

ranchwife,
how did the meatballs go over? Did Jesse like his dinner? did he get another birthday Present? :wink: :wink:

Just thought of another thing we do that is not in the books that is nothing special but kids ask for it. My mom made these when I was little and we were going fishing so that she did not have to take along all of the fixin's. seems that all of the flavors cook into the meat and blend.

Stuffed Burgers
make hamburger patties about 1/4 inch thick, two for every serving.
Put ketchup, mustard, cheese, pickles, onions, mushrooms, whatever your diners prefer, on one of the patties. Cover that patty with another one and seal the edges by pinching them together. Fry, grill or whatever is convenient, throw on a bun, eat like a steak, do whatever and it is very good. My daughter prefers large ones like a steak, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese, and mushrooms, sprinkle with italian seasoning, pizza sauce or ketchup, we have a winner!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

another favorite...

Orange-Glazed Flank Steaks

Marinade:

2/3 C dry red wine
1/2 C orange juice
1/3 C lime juice
1/2 C honey
1/4 C cider vinegar
1/4 C soy sauce, preferable Kikkoman
2 T mild olive oil
1 1/2 t minced garlic
1 t finely grated orange zest
1 t tabasco sauce
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t ground thyme
1/4 t ground black pepper

2 - 2lb flank steaks,

To make the marinade, combine all ingredients in a shallow 14" glass baking dish and stir until honey is dissolved. Add the flank steaks, turn to coat, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Bring the steaks to room temperature, prepare coals for grilling, or preheat broiler in oven. Drain the steaks, reserving the marinade. Place the marinade in a large skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue boiling until marinade is syrupy and mahogany colored, about 10 min. Remove from heat and let cool. Brush the glaze on both sides of the steaks, grill or broil 4" from heat until nicely glazed, about 5 min. Turn and grill 5 min longer for med rare steaks. Let the meat rest 5 min before carving. Transfer steaks to cutting board, holding a sharp knife at a 45 degree angle, cut the steaks across the grain in thin slices. Transfer the meat to a warm platter, top with remaining glaze, serve immediately.

Side note: This turns a very unpopular cut into something totally AWESOME!!! We've done this with round steak, the citric acid tenderizes and gives a great flavor! :D

Boy, gotta outdo sw;

Navajo Fry Bread

4 C all purpose flour
1 T Baking Powder
1 t salt
2 T nonfat dry milk powder
1-1/2 C warm water
1-2 C solid shortening or lard, for frying

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and dry milk powder in a large mixing bowl. Gradually stir in warm water. Mix until dough forms a ball and comes clean from edge of bowl. You may need to add a little additional water. Knead dough with your hands until well mixed and dough is elastic. Divide dough into 6 large pieces and roll into balls. Using palms of your hands, pat out dough into circles that are about 1/2 inch thick.

Melt shortening in a large skillet. You will need about 3/4 inch of melted fat. Heat to 400 degrees. Slip a rounded, flat piece of dough into the hot fat - it will start to rise to the top. When the underside is brown, turn over and brown the other side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough. (For a snack, divide dough into small portions to make 2 inch balls. After cooking and draining, sprinkle with confectioners sugar or drizzle with honey). Yields 6 large portions or 8-10 snack portions.

We use the smaller portions, make honey butter and WOW!!

Taken from "The Best Basic & Easy Recipes of CHUCK WAGON COOKING"

OK, here goes!
Best strawberry pie

Get some good fresh strawberries and cut them into small pieces. In a pinch you can use frozen strawberries.

Pour lots of sugar over strawberries.

Mix a whole bunch.

Pour into premade pie crust.

Chill.

Serve.

Eat strawberries and throw the damn crust away! :lol:

Sourdough bread is such a treat!!! Here are several recipes to get your "starter" started.

Sourdough starter (This came from Alaska in the 1900's)

Wash, peel and cube 4 potatoes. Boil in unsalted water, about 5 pints (10 C) with a lid on. When the potatoes are well done, remove them and let the water cool. Add to potato water 1 T salt. Stir in enough flour to make a thin batter. Pour this into a crock, cover it with a cheese cloth. Put in a warm place 2-3 days until it has fermented. Now transfer it to a glass jar. Can be kept in the refrigerator indefinitely.

Replenish this with equal amts of milk and flour plus 1/8 C sugar.

Another one:

Wild Yeast Starter (this is what I am using today, this starter is several years old, I think of it as a "pet", put in fridge when I don't use it (summer) bring it back out in the fall, bring to room temp, add a little flour, sugar, milk to get it bubbling again. I found a large crock w/lid at a 2nd hand store. Works GREAT!!

Place 1 C milk in a glass jar or crock and allow to stand at room temperature for 24 hrs. Stir in 1 C flour. (To speed process, cover jar with cheesecloth and place outside for several hours to expose dough to the wild yeast floating in the wind).

Leave uncovered in a warm place for 2 to 5 days, depending upon how long it takes to bubble and sour. If it starts to dry out, stir in enough tepid water to bring is back to original consistency. Once it has a good sour aroma, and is full of bubles, it is ready to use. Each time you use part of the starter, replenish it with a mixture of equal parts of flour and milk.

I've been doing sourdough for over 20 years. My family LOVES IT! I think that little "extra" effort is very much worth it, those of you who have never had "homemade" sourdough biscuits are missing out BIG TIME!! If any of you would like to get something started, I have no problems helping you out. Just ask, however you want and I will be so glad to reply. Just pulled 2 awesome sourdough "french bread" out of the oven. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

I will also be glad in sharing sourdough pancakes recipe MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!! etc, etc. This sourdough stuff is a "dying breed" so to speak, I would love to get it back into the families!!!

All this food talk makes me think a Ranchers.net road trip is in order to visit all these great cooks. :cowboy: But it will halfto wait until after calving and haying ..........

you're welcome anytime, BMR, same with the rest of you. We love to cook yummy meals (however, we don't weigh 300 lbs as you would probably think - we might be 10 lb overweight) would like to get acquainted with our northern neighbors, you are no different than us, we are all concerned producers. Snow outside, a big help for our droughthy conditions, some more snow predicted for next week. We'll take it as it comes, in whatever shape or form. :p :D :D :) :)

OK, here's something from hubby's Polish grandma. I don't even know what they are really called, but we call them Beet Buns. I promise you've never heard of them, but they are fantastic. There aren't a lot of 'measurements' in this recipe. It's one of those "a bit of this and a bit of that ones" where you just eyeball them when they are ready to bake and take out of the oven.

Wash young beet leaves straight from the garden.
Make (or buy, if you prefer) some dough such as bun or bread dough. It doesn't really matter which, because it always tastes good.

Roll each beet leaf up into a tube with about a tablespoon of dough in it. Layer them in a buttered pan or roaster and let them rise for about an hour. Drizzle them with melted butter and bake in a 350 degree oven for about a half hour to 45 minutes. Let them cool in the pan.

Now comes the good part....

Melt some butter in a big frying pan. Put the buns in it, and heat them up, stirring so they don't burn. When they are hot, sprinkle them with finely chopped green dill leaves. Next, pour cream over them, and stir for a minute while it sizzles, and soaks into the buns.

Eat them with sour cream.

They will make you famous. :D

WOW! Can't wait to try your recipe out! Just a simple question, when rolling the beet leaf into a tube, what do you mean by "a tablespoon of dough in it? Is the dough actually in it or does it surround the leaf of beet greens? I might seem dumb, but I like to get my recipes straight. Thanks :)

sw said:
ranchwife,
how did the meatballs go over? Did Jesse like his dinner? did he get another birthday Present? :wink: :wink:

not only did jesse love the meatballs, but so did the other 18 guests who came over that night....also, YES, jesse did get another birthday presents...i got impatient waiting for the other guests to leave so i put a big bow on my backside and told jesse that he got to unwrap "this" when everyone left...sure worked well!! :shock: :shock: :wink:

alright already....my printer is down and i am getting writers cramp from copying down all these absolutely delicious recipes....i am predicting a change in my jean size by the time i get done sampling all these yummies!!! :lol: :wink: :shock:

The beet leaves are wrapped around the dough. When it rises, it kind of sticks out the ends because it has nowhere else to go.

You can make them any size you like. With this recipe it doesn't seem to matter how you make them they always turn out! :D

Hope you get with it SOON, reader 2, those all sound great to me! I'm imagining what you put into all three of those........so will be interesting to see how far I miss it.

Your grandson must be about same age as our first grandchild, who will be 21 on my 65th birthday, July 24. He is in second year at our state Ag U.

MRJ

Please share, Reader. Been testing some of these recipes all week. YUUUUMMMMM! Ole sw's got some pretty good 'uns, too. Here is a recipe for Kraut Burgers, they're like a "pocket bread" been around a long time. My family LOVES these things as you can throw them in the saddle bag with a bottle of water when you know you are going to be gone all day...

2 Lbs ground beef
1/2 head cabbage, sliced thinly and cut so pieces are approx 1"long
1 onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste.

Brown ground beef, add cabbage and onion, cook till cabbage and onion are tender. Add salt and pepper.

Meanwhile:

Make bread dough according to manuf directions (if you are a bread maker user) otherwise make bread dough, let rise til double, press out air bubbles. Roll this dough til 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 5" X 5" pieces. Place a couple tablespoons of meat mixture on the dough, fold over, seal the 3 edges. Let rise til double. Bake at 350 till browned just the way you like 'em. Let cool, these things freeze well. We usually take them right out of the freezer, put them in the saddle bag and by lunch time they are thawed out.

I've done this with ground beef and barbeque sauce (YUUMM!) I imagine you can use anything your heart desires (within reason!)

THis is what I make when its cold, and its cold here.

Call it hot pork or red pork or carnitas, whatever somebody will always correct you.

Sear 3 or 4 pounds trimmed pork - buy the cheap stuff if you're up to trimming it

Then put the pork and a half onion and 6 or 8 or 10 jalapinoes into a crock pot with barely enough water to cover it and cook completely.

When the pork is close to falling apart, add as much tomato sauce as there is water so that the tomato sauce + water will be about like tomato juice. Use more or less water or tomato sauce or tomato juice to find a tomatoness to your likeing.

Add about 3 tablespoons garlic and 1 tbs salt, a little cumin if you like. I use cumin in rice so I keep it out of the pork.

The only caution is scalding the tomato sauce/juice so keep the heat down and don't overcook after the tomato stuff is added.

Pretty good rice to go with the hot pork

*brown til you almost think its burnt 2 cups bleached white rice
*when the rice is almost browned add 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
*add 2 cups hot water - better yet use some of the pork stock from cooking the pork
*add 2 cups tomato sauce
*2 tbs garlic, 1 tbs salt, 1 tsp cumin 3 or 4 tbs ground up jalapinoes
simmer with a lid until almost done, then turn off stove and it will finish cooking if you leave the lid on it.

Plain old pinto beans
put a pound ina crock pot with a bunch of water and a little salt some garlic an onion and a few jalapinoes.

My wife says my mexican cooking is a bum magnate, all my rodeo bum friends know when I've been cooking.

Latest posts