• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fightless Friday, How 'bout some good recipes??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

wife of our new ranch hand gave me a super easy and absolutely delicious recipe for what she calls "cowboy chili"...gotta go to work in a few minutes, but when i get home will sit down and type it out and have ya'll try it....had to "sample" some lastnight as it simmered the hours away.....MMMMMMMMM :D :D

MsSage said:
Can we get a a sticky?? Please ~~~Thank you

I second that motion!!! Or maybe a seperate section under the index...you know, like the "coffee shop" or "photo contest"...how about it, Macon???? :D

Had to share this southern favorite
Plantation grits
1/2 c uncooked grits
4 c extra sharp cheddar
cheese grated
4 eggs
2 pds sausage
1 c milk
1/2 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp garlic salt

Cook and drainsausage, set aside. Cook grits per package. Mix cheese and grits in a large mixing bowl. Combine eggs,milk, thyme, and garlic salt in med bowl. Add a small amount of hot grits and mix well, then add to grits and cheese. Mix well and pour into 13 x 9 baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let stand 15 mins before baking. Bake at 350 for one hour. serves 8-10

Hoping to keep on top unless can sweet talk macon into a sticky or as ranchwife suggested a catergory of its own :D
1a35a0bc.gif

Maybe this sweet angel might help talk him into it ........ :D

Wow, I got tons of recipes out of this thread. Have to add one of my own now.
I am always frustrated by cookies that look nice and thick when they come out of the oven only to have them go flat as they cool. So these are the solution to that problem. They are what my mom calls;

Cowboy Cookies

Combine:
1cup Shortening (butter flavored if you have it)
1cup Sugar
1/2cup Brown Sugar
1/4cup Milk
1tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Combine first 6 ingredients, then mix in:
2 cups Rolled oats
2 cups Flour
1tsp baking soda
1/2-1 bag of chocolate chips (12 oz bag)

Drop by the spoonful onto a cookie sheet

Bake at 350 on bottom rack for 5 minutes, then 5 minutes on middle rack.

I don't always switch racks during baking, but that's what mom instructed so I figured I had better add it!

I picked the last of this years tomatoes yesterday - - many were small and green - - I put all the samll ones in the Food Prosser and chopped them added Flower - Salt - Pepper and garlic

In a hot skillet I added Olive Oil and fried Pancake size Green Tomatoes - - - Good - Very good

Hanta Yo said:
ranchwife,

the secret about country gravy is getting all the drippins' you can get out of the meat, add a little milk and cornstarch. No WAY can you beat that gravy!!! The secret is the milk. My spouse was surprised when I came up with "country gravy".

Colect Juices
I've taken to Marinating all my meat in a Stainless Steal Bowl before I BBQ - - after I BBQ I put the cooked meat back in the bowl to catch any drippings

My cutting board is on 1/2" legs -- I trimmed them just a little so cut meat juices drain off to the left - - I catch these juices with a plate and ad to SS Bowl - - I set the SS Bowl on a small burner to heat and add "what ever" to the bowl and make grave

I use Flower, Milk, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Power and sometimes Liquid Smoke

Growin up we had Gravy with just about every meal. Flour, salt, pepper, and milk added to the pan after the oil has been drained and all the "crunchies" are left in the pan after fryin, steak, chicken, hamburger steaks........mmmmm mmmm good......
Red Eye gravy is good stuff too, we usually make it for breakfast when havin ham n eggs.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Growin up we had Gravy with just about every meal. Flour, salt, pepper, and milk added to the pan after the oil has been drained and all the "crunchies" are left in the pan after fryin, steak, chicken, hamburger steaks........mmmmm mmmm good......
Red Eye gravy is good stuff too, we usually make it for breakfast when havin ham n eggs.

I am patiently waiting for the recipe for the red eye gravy, lilly!! :wink: :wink:

Here is one of the family favorites
hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes (another super easy)

browned hamburger
sliced mushrooms
diced onion
beef boullion (1 cube or 1 can)
canned or frozen corn and beans (green)
salt and pepper
celery or celery salt (to taste)
flour to thicken into gravy
water as desired for thickness/thinning out!! :D

brown burger, mushrooms and onion together....add water and boullion and simmer til onion is tender.....add corn, beans, celery, salt and pepper and allow to simmer til veggies are done....add flour to thicken and add extra seasonings to your taste ( the hubby likes lots of pepper and some mrs. dash) and serve over your favorite mashed potatoes....super filling supper and a great way to stretch a pound of burger!! :D

YUMMY!! You got it figured out, the kids ALWAYS mixed their corn and whatever veggie they had into their mashed potatoes. Because of you, ranchwife, we've figured out Yukon Golds are our favorite potatoes, we grew lots of them this past year and will grow even more next year. Thank you and please keep the recipes coming!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I see Bar MJ posted a recipe for Cowboy cookies. My wife make great Cowboy cookies but some times she makes Cowgirl cookies.

She leaves out the nuts. :cowboy:

Red Eye Gravy (for Ranchwife) and anyone else who wants to try it.

After fryin ham, drain off the grease if there is any, then add a lil dab of water to the hot pan, maybe 1/4 cup just to get the juices offa the bottom goin again. Then in a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup of flour and water till it's fairly thin......pour into the pan and cook till it's gravy thick.

MMMMmmmmm good over biscuits at breakfast time. But also good over rice if you've fried ham for supper.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I see Bar MJ posted a recipe for Cowboy cookies. My wife make great Cowboy cookies but some times she makes Cowgirl cookies.

She leaves out the nuts. :cowboy:

Heheheheh BMR, you're sooooooo good with the words, gotta have all those chocolate "chips" for the cowboys! :wink: :wink: :lol2: :lol2: :nod: :nod:

Looking at the biscuit recipes reminded me of something I discovered by accident that turned out really well.

One time I was making a batch, and found I'd run out of regular flour. All I had in the house was Robin Hood Best For Bread flour. It's the one that's designed especially for bread machines. I used it to make the biscuits and they were amazing! Light as a feather. That inspired me to try it on pancakes, and I got the same result. They were the thickest fluffiest pancakes I'd ever made. :D

If I bake a cake I have to find some place to put it - just two of us and it'ell last for days or I forget it in the oven

Easy Answer:
Waffle Iron - - while I'm doing dishes - Cake Mix, Muffin Mix, Carrot Cake Mix is a favorit, ect. - - add extra oil or spray iron with Pam - - I cut each section in to 1/4's - - then I set a plate of these on the table and their gone

Hint:
'Iceyourown' - set a knife and different kinds of Iceing - Chopped Nuts - Sprinkles, ect. and get outa the way!

OldDog/NewTricks----those waffle cakes sound simply delicious...gonna have to give them a try!!

Does anyone out there have a recipe for "German Pancakes"??? :???: My mom used to make these when we lived in Portland/Vancouver, but was never able to get the recipe "just right" once we moved to a higher altitude!! boy, they were my favorite "treat" breakfast....baked in the oven in a cast iron skillet and lots of fluffy air-type pockets....simply add butter, powdered sugar and lemon juice and DIG IN!!! 8)

found this on food network, sounds good to me

German Pancakes

3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup milk, warmed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
Confectioners' sugar
Marinated Berries or Glazed Apples and Pears, recipes follow
Serving suggestion: Maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter. Whisk in the flour to make a smooth batter. Set aside.

Heat a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and brush the inside with the shortening. Pour in the batter and bake for 15 minutes.

Lower the oven to 350 degrees F. and continue baking until puffed and golden brown, about 13 to 15 minutes more. Run a knife around the edge of the skillet. Sift the confectioners' sugar over the pancake. Serve immediately in the skillet with maple syrup, marinated berries, or glazed apples and pears.

Marinated Berries
2 tablespoons sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, and seeds scraped out with a knife and reserved
Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
Grated zest of 1/2 orange
1 cup water
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 pint raspberries
1/2 pint blueberries, rinsed
1/2 pint strawberries, rinsed, tops trimmed, halved or quartered, if large

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, citrus zests, and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer very gently until syrupy, about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the citrus juices. Combine the berries in a bowl. Strain the warm syrup over the berries and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Serve.
Yield: 6 servings

Glazed Apples and Pears Compote
3 small Granny Smith apples or other tart baking apple (about 1 1/4 pounds)
3 Bosc pears (about 1 1/4 pounds)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons sugar
Grated zest of 2 oranges, plus their juice
Two 3-inch-long cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoons Calvados, Apple Jack, or brandy (optional)

Peel, core, and cut both the apples and pears into 3/4-inch wedges. In a medium bowl, toss the fruit with the lemon juice.
Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sugar, orange zest, and cinnamon sticks and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the fruit, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until glazed, about 10 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the orange juice, and cook until the fruit is easily pierced with a paring knife, about 1 minute more. If desired, add the Calvados. If cooking on a gas burner, carefully tip the pan toward the flame to flambe the alcohol; if cooking over an electric element, hold a long match near the mixture. Swirl the pan over the heat until the flame subsides. Serve warm.

Yield: 6 servings

Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved

Latest posts