• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Finally, a politician with gonads

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the chief

Reaction score
A state senator has fired off a letter to the CEO of Tyson Foods asking
the company to give a little something back after its decision to leave
Norfolk on a moment's notice: $2 million.

"We've made a lot of changes to try and accommodate our new citizens,"
said Sen. Mike Flood of Norfolk, who sent the letter directly to John
Tyson, CEO of Tyson Foods.

The company cut 1,300 jobs when it closed the Norfolk meat-processing
plant last month. Another 365 jobs were lost in West Point, outside
Flood's legislative district, when Tyson closed a slaughterhouse.

"Tyson asked for a lot of incentives to come to town, and I'm just
asking them to continue providing services now that they've left
,"
Flood said.

Like others in the city of about 24,000, Flood's anger over Tyson's
decision is exacerbated by how the company handled it. Flood said he
got a phone call at 7:58 a.m. the day Tyson announced its decision.

Two minutes later, the company made it public. And two days later, it
was stripping the Norfolk plant.

Flood believes Tyson should pay to ease the expected budget crunch on
groups that created new services to meet the needs of Tyson employees,
many of which are new immigrants. The groups must continue providing
the services even after the company has left
, Flood says.

"The City of Norfolk and Madison County have made significant changes
in the way they do business following your company's decision to locate
in Norfolk," Flood says in the letter.

"Our schools have developed programs for English language learners, our
health care system has implemented programming to serve Latino, Somali
and Sudanese communities and our law enforcement has implemented
changes to provide high quality public safety services."

About $900,000 of Flood's $2 million request is tied specifically to a
health care clinic created in large part to cater to Tyson employees.
Another $450,000 is for a new center that helps immigrants obtain basic
services, and $210,000 is for the United Way.

The figures represent estimated budget losses for the groups over the
next three years. Flood is also asking for $500,000 to help the area
with economic development and marketing.

Flood's letter may be a first for the company.

"I've worked here about 15 years," Tyson spokesman Archie Schaffer III
said. "During that time period, I'm just guessing, we've closed less
than 10 plants. As far as I know this is the first request like this
I've received."

"I am not prepared to respond substantively to Senator Flood. We
received the letter this morning. It is something I'll discuss with
senior management."

Schaffer said Tyson is "very mindful" of the impact its decision had on
Norfolk and West Point.

The company's departure thus far hasn't caused a mass exodus of former
Tyson employees out of Norfolk, Flood said.

The company's intentions for the building remain unclear. The Norfolk
plant isn't up for sale, Flood said, and Tyson officials have refused
to discuss their plans for it.

"Nobody knows what they're doing," Flood said.

Schaffer said the company has not decided what to do with that plant or
the West Point facility.

Gosh, that's quite a contrast from how Mike Callicrate describes Tyson communities.

Wonder which argument will carry more weight with the packer blamers?

That Tyson's ruins communities with their presence or that Tyson ruins communities when they leave??? Hmmmm??? Such a dilema?

Just one more of a never ending list of conflicting arguments from the blamer's camp.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Gosh, that's quite a contrast from how Mike Callicrate describes Tyson communities.

Wonder which argument will carry more weight with the packer blamers?

That Tyson's ruins communities with their presence or that Tyson ruins communities when they leave??? Hmmmm??? Such a dilema?

Just one more of a never ending list of conflicting arguments from the blamer's camp.

~SH~

Perhaps you didn't read the story correctly, Scott. This politician is saying that Tyson came in, got ALL the freebies from the city and is now leaving, and the CITY GETS TO PAY FOR ALL THE THINGS NEEDED TO SATISFY TYSON'S NEEDS.

I'll bet you will see how crime statistics in this town escalated during Tyson's presence as well.

So, Scooter, there is no conflicting argument from Mike or anyone with a little common sense. Packers do NOT care about their environment in which they reside nor the people whose lives they reach. Greed driving a system is not a good system.

Gosh all right. Chief simply posted an article - or did he write it? Was there a blamer in sight - no - But there certainly was a packer super hero waiting in the wings to sport his defensinve opinion now wasn't there.

Do you think that ther should be any compensation paid back for the concessions given to Tyson Scotty?

Or did they do so much good while they were there that they should simply leave?

No opinions but yours on the thread so far Scotty, care to continue?

Some of our politicians that cater to businesses by giving these tax incentives are going to start to realize that the tax incentives come out of the pockets of regular people and go into the pockets of corporate management and corporate profits. This realization is coming a little late for most.

This issue is at the Supreme Court right now with legal arguments heard today. We will see if the Justices on the Supreme Court see this or if they are color blind to the obvious fleecing of the common good for the rich.

I approached my state rep one time and told him how these "Tax free" inducements were wrong. He stated they were "the lesser of two evils. If we didn't give them everything for free, they wouldn't build here."

My comment was "the lesser of two evils is still EVIL!"

He could NOT argue with logic!

Sometimes, facts do not truly tell a person the whole story. I know, I know. Some people on this site will say that "Facts are everything." In fact, the facts are so important to some people, they will construct the truth in various forms to make it look like facts to support their story.

The facts of this story are evident. Yet someone is stretching the facts to support their argument. Sorry, it is clearly untruthful and biased in favor of "big business" to support their own agenda. It sure is a shame some people live with big blinders on their eyes.

Hahaha! Amazing how any "STATEMENT" or "OPINION" that supports the packer blamer's bias becomes FACT!

Hahaha! Too funny!

This is the typical anti corporate victim mentality of the liberal democrats who have found their voice in R-CULT.

"Listen, they're crying our song"!

They "bwame da packah" when they don't age beef. They "bwame da packah" when they enhance the color of meat through the aging process. They "bwame da packah" when they bring hispanics to the community. They "bwame da packah" when they leave the community.

To summarize, they just "BWAME DA PACKAH" for everything.

~SH~

the chief: "Packers do NOT care about their environment in which they reside nor the people whose lives they reach. Greed driving a system is not a good system."

Greed can be harnessed and capitalism does it. It is unbridled greed that is the problem. The recent reports on GIPSA and the AMS, and the BSEconomics show that we now have a run away horse and no one at the reins but big business.

Tyson is taking its cases up to the Supreme Court so the legal tax kills the little guy that just wants a little justice and they can get away with their crimes.

So.....do you anti-big business guys believe it is better or worse for a community to have a company come in that provides hundreds of jobs, some to area people, and some "imported" workers?

I would like to see accurate figures on the increases in activity of existing businesses in those communities, additional taxes paid by both the company and the employees new to the community, increases in services demanded, like school costs, police, medical, etc.

It seems like real life facts on such situations would be helpful to other communities, and to show the locals who have been through it whether their practices in enticing such businesses have a negative or a positive effect overall. Surely that would serve the communities better than they type of anti-business negativity spewed on this site ever could.

MRJ

MRJ,

It doesn't matter what a large corporation does, these anti corporate liberal types will complain about it. That's all they know.

~SH~

SH, "To summarize, they just "BWAME DA PACKAH" for everything."

And a summary of all your posts; "BACK DA PACKAH" for everything.

MRJ said:
So.....do you anti-big business guys believe it is better or worse for a community to have a company come in that provides hundreds of jobs, some to area people, and some "imported" workers?

I would like to see accurate figures on the increases in activity of existing businesses in those communities, additional taxes paid by both the company and the employees new to the community, increases in services demanded, like school costs, police, medical, etc.

It seems like real life facts on such situations would be helpful to other communities, and to show the locals who have been through it whether their practices in enticing such businesses have a negative or a positive effect overall. Surely that would serve the communities better than they type of anti-business negativity spewed on this site ever could.

MRJ

MRJ, there are a LOT of good copanies out there. It is too bad they have to compete with the "cheaters". There area a lot of good people in the cattle business. Too bad they have to put up with you.

Econ101 said:
MRJ said:

MRJ

MRJ, there are a LOT of good copanies out there. It is too bad they have to compete with the "cheaters". There area a lot of good people in the cattle business. Too bad they have to put up with you.

Thankfully, the work and good will MRJ and her family have done for the beef industry help reinforce consumer confidence in our product. For every MRJ type out there, their efforts neutralize 100 cranially challenged couch potato complainers such as you.

How far do you live from Waco? I saw a show on the CMT network that was filmed on Ted Nugent's ranch. The "Motor City Madman" hosts contestants that compete for a $100K prize. His version of a reality based show.

You should look into it. A dose of Ted's capitalism and conservatism would do you good.

Beefman said:
Econ101 said:
MRJ said:

MRJ

Thankfully, the work and good will MRJ and her family have done for the beef industry help reinforce consumer confidence in our product. For every MRJ type out there, their efforts neutralize 100 cranially challenged couch potato complainers such as you.

How far do you live from Waco? I saw a show on the CMT network that was filmed on Ted Nugent's ranch. The "Motor City Madman" hosts contestants that compete for a $100K prize. His version of a reality based show.

You should look into it. A dose of Ted's capitalism and conservatism would do you good.

Beefman, how could anyone in this business be for a process that undermines the sight test for freshness in beef wit no other freshness test in its place? This one has gone too far. The further the beef industry leaders go in making these type policies, the more places like Kroger, McDonalds, and others will shy away from beef sold in these venues.

Econ101 said:
MRJ said:

MRJ

Yes there are a lot of good people in the cattle business and MRJ is one of them.
I agree with Beefman.
For every MRJ type out there, their efforts neutralize 100 cranially challenged couch potato complainers such as you.

Why did you change signatures Econ when your old one was quite fitting?
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." PLATO

Bill said:
Econ101 said:
MRJ said:

MRJ

Yes there are a lot of good people in the cattle business and MRJ is one of them.
I agree with Beefman.
For every MRJ type out there, their efforts neutralize 100 cranially challenged couch potato complainers such as you.

Why did you change signatures Econ when your old one was quite fitting?
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." PLATO

Bill, maybe you should import her up to Canada.

Hahaha! Amazing how any "STATEMENT" or "OPINION" that supports the packer blamer's bias becomes FACT!

Hahaha! Too funny!

Scooter, you will notice "If YOU ACTUALLY READ WHAT EVERYONE POSTED" is that I NEVER said these were facts. I said that to some people, "like you, scooter," that you are so obsessed with facts that you can't see common sense.

What a shame! No I know why you go off on such tangents. You are so hell-bent on proving yourself right that you can't see the reality of the situation.

I'll treat you like a sick friend and offer my compassion.

Econ101 said:
MRJ said:

It seems like real life facts on such situations would be helpful to other communities, and to show the locals who have been through it whether their practices in enticing such businesses have a negative or a positive effect overall. Surely that would serve the communities better than they type of anti-business negativity spewed on this site eve
MRJ

Please don't take yourself so seriously! You absolutely CANNOT know all that you claim to know about me, others in the cattle business, and you demonstrate that fact daily on this site.

Strangely enough, and quite contrary to your claims, very often when I meet someone for the first time, they will indicate they have heard me speak on radio, or read what I wrote here or elsewhere, and they very kindly thank me for what I do for the cattle industry. Many say while change isn't always easy, it is going to happen and we cattle producers need to position our selves and our attitudes so that we can benefit and thrive with it.

MRJ

While I don't always agree with MRJ's idea's I do appreciate that she is willing to take a lot of time to try and help our industry. Not too many are willing to do that and it's a part of our business that needs to be attended to. Those who show up get to decide. Thats why I always am amazed at all of the people in this great nation who won't go vote, but want to bitch when things go different than what they want.

And MRJ has very rarely, if ever, stooped to name calling.

I know here husband and I can't imagine him not marrying a good woman!
:wink:

He likes good horses too! :lol:

Jinglebob said:
While I don't always agree with MRJ's idea's I do appreciate that she is willing to take a lot of time to try and help our industry. Not too many are willing to do that and it's a part of our business that needs to be attended to. Those who show up get to decide. Thats why I always am amazed at all of the people in this great nation who won't go vote, but want to bitch when things go different than what they want.

And MRJ has very rarely, if ever, stooped to name calling.

I know here husband and I can't imagine him not marrying a good woman!
:wink:

He likes good horses too! :lol:

Point well taken, Jinglebob. Someday I will apologize to MRJ in person. I think she will understand. Lets leave it at that.

Latest posts