• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

fire in nw nebraska

Help Support Ranchers.net:

strawking

Reaction score
A lighting storm came thru here tuesday night and started at least 15 fires across the northern panhandle. Still 2 burning today i think and with this 30 mph wind they are covering ground fast. Well over 100,000 acres and several homes have burnt. Seems like just when we start getting it contained the wind swicthes and it jumps the lines and all we can do is get out of its way.

I think there are actually 3 big ones still going aren't there? Pretty scary when they have 3 different towns evacuated at one time!! I am pretty sure that both Kilgore and Cody have at least 1 truck apiece out at Rushville.

3 large fires..in the area..they are starting to get them contained. Has been a crazy time last 3-4 days,,fighting fire and trying to get cattle gathered and moved out of the way of where they think the fires are headed. The landscape of the pine ridge has changed greatly in the last few days.

Any fires in (or near) Ellsworth, Ne ? I was looking at a job-offer there earlier...just wondering if anyone there was affected.

ltdumbear2 said:
Any fires in (or near) Ellsworth, Ne ? I was looking at a job-offer there earlier...just wondering if anyone there was affected.

Everything is north of Ellsworth.

A week after the beginning... Douthit Fire, nw of Crawford NE and north-northeast of Harrison,Ne; nearly contained at about 30,000 acres. West Ash Fire, between southeast of Crawford,NE and south of Whitney, and southwest of Chadron, Ne; 65-70 percent contained at 50,000 ish acres. Wellnitz Fire northeast of Hay Springs,Ne, Northwest of Rushville,Ne, and just south of Oglala, South Dakota about 44,000 Nebraska acres and 33,000 in South Dakota about 50 percent contained.
I know those acres sound average to some of our western friends, but around here they are making for some large runs at area salebarns. Add in a "few" smaller fires last Tuesday and Wednesday in surrounding areas; more cows to town...

Latest posts