• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fire season is here

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
WILL UPGRADE FIRE WEATHER WATCH TO RFW FOR SUN THRU SUN NIGHT...17Z THRU 09Z. RFW WILL INCLUDE CENTRAL AND EASTERN ZONES. COORDINATED WITH MLS DISPATCH THIS MORNING WHO REPORTED THAT FIRE IN SE MT YESTERDAY SPREAD QUICKLY AND FIRE WAS ONGOING IN CARTER COUNTY TODAY. CONDITIONS ON SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT WILL BE EVEN MORE FAVORABLE FOR WILDFIRES TO SPREAD EASILY. PREFERRED GFS OVER NAM AS GFS INITIALIZED STRONGER THAN NAM WITH SHORTWAVE OFF NW U.S. COAST AND LOOKED REASONABLE. THIS WAVE WILL PUSH SE THROUGH NE MT ON SUNDAY DRIVING A COLD FRONT INTO THE EASTERN ZONES. WARM AND DRY WEATHER WILL CONTINUE OVER THE REGION SUNDAY WITH MINIMUM RH/S PROGGED TO BE NEAR 20 PERCENT. MODEL SOUNDINGS SHOWED GOOD MIXING POTENTIAL BEGINNING AT 17Z AND CONTINUING INTO SUN NIGHT WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 60 MPH POSSIBLE. THESE FACTORS WARRANTED ISSUANCE OF RFW.

I see they have those 60mph wind predictions out for most of the state-- that will really take the last of our snow, but will suck every bit of moisture up too...

I hope the drought dont get to bad.

No Good Deed goes unpunished.

SMS....MEOOOWWW!! pull your claws in there, buddy...tell me...that the hell does this horrific drought have to do with borders!!! EVERYONE, myself included, has been affected by the bse "scare" and by the border closing/opening/closing issue and now we are looking at the worst drought sw montana has seen in decades!!! we don't need YOUR hay as will can always bring in from neighboring states...ya know, sms, i have avoided becoming part of the political anit-canadian/anti-american circus here in bull session, but i logged on because of issues on the drought and i saw your snide comment and felt the over powering need to write back..your comment was completely uncalled for ....GROW UP!!!

ranchwife said:
SMS....MEOOOWWW!! pull your claws in there, buddy...tell me...that the hell does this horrific drought have to do with borders!!! EVERYONE, myself included, has been affected by the bse "scare" and by the border closing/opening/closing issue and now we are looking at the worst drought sw montana has seen in decades!!! we don't need YOUR hay as will can always bring in from neighboring states...ya know, sms, i have avoided becoming part of the political anit-canadian/anti-american circus here in bull session, but i logged on because of issues on the drought and i saw your snide comment and felt the over powering need to write back..your comment was completely uncalled for ....GROW UP!!!

Give em Hell :p

ranchwife & denny,

remember the old Indian proverb: Walk a mile in their shoes.........

".........myself included, has been affected by the bse "scare"..........."

Not like they have in Canada.

ranchwife sorry, but been having a bad day and i know i should not come here when i feel that way. I could blame it on the 26 hours of no sleep, and trying to put a sales cataloge together or even the F''n puters that kept crashing here. But it was just my fustration surfacing...sorry

SMS said:
ranchwife sorry, but been having a bad day and i know i should not come here when i feel that way. I could blame it on the 26 hours of no sleep, and trying to put a sales cataloge together or even the F''n puters that kept crashing here. But it was just my fustration surfacing...sorry

sms....my most sincere apologies to you and every canadian rancher who is living in bse hell!! i can only imagine in my worst nightmares what you are all going through....open/close/open/close!!! i am so tired of the politicians who are not (and never will be) in our shoes making decisions that affect our very livelihood!! my prayers and hopes are with you all that we can come to a PEACEFUL AND UNITED decision!!! god bless!!

rancher- The 35-40 mph winds are here-- and believe it or not-- I had 20 raindrops hit the windshield of the pickup this morning-- I guess we're getting the edge of the storm Manitoba Rancher and Shelly are getting-- Don't look like it will amount to much for moisture tho.....

Hey ranchwife i see you are from around Ennis MOntana and our son in Billings has a freind around there that he goes upi and helps him brand every May.
We are getting the 40-50mph gusts of wind this afternoon and even more at times and it looks like a fire once in awhile here in the yard when the dust goes blowing through.
We will start with our babies in a couple of weeks and vaccianted the ehifers yesterday and they are looking like might be some early.
Will see how we do this year without the grandson to help out as he got a job finally in Billings and we won't take him away from that and he is doing quite well. This is the one i mentioned awhole back had the really bad accident with head injuries and he came out of that really well, just some short term memory once in awhile./ Has a good woman to help him out now so that is something.
Everyone take care and can use the moisture in canada but don't want snow tob bad.\HAs really been a windy Feb and now march almost. Suppsoe to keep upi here tomorrwo but cooler. :oops:

Oldtimer, wished I had your wind, mine is gusting to 60-65 mph every other minute. The sky is full of dirt I can't see the barn at times. This is getting bad when it is this dry with this kind of wind. No hope in the next week of any moisture either. I suppose you have enough ground moisture to grow some grass again this year. The sage brush here is starting to die from lack of water.

Yeh rancher, we're no where near the shape you're in-- we have some subsoil moisture and then with what snow we had you sink into the ground when driving around on the sod or hay meadows-- If this wind don't suck it all out....still about 30-35mph with gusts to 50....Wind is sure cutting down the snowbanks we had left.....

I see the weather boys on all the sites are predicting a pattern change starting about next weekend- cooler temps, snow and rain for the eastern part of the state........might even get far enough south to find you this time, rancher.....

rancher,
could you try to stop our ranch, I think it is headed your way, maybe it is already past.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/jswiley/HPIM0229.jpg

should of downsized that. Now I know better, at least I got it on here :oops:

I tried, but it left with my ranch. Someone, somewhere is getting all my droughted out dirt. Where are you located? Ya I know not many will answer that ? for me. I was reading the Tony Dean site, they ought to see my dog towns. I have been working on them and they just keep moving back in. They compare it to a lawn, well lawns get watered, my prairie dog towns are not on a sprinkler system. They are right about the weeds on dog towns, but my weeds didn't even grow last year.

a. Clipping of forage by prairie dogs and grazing by cattle keep the grasses in a vegetative stage that have greater nutritional qualities (eg. higher digestibility and protein). Look at your backyard as an example. Mowing the grass weekly keeps it nice and green under the same conditions. If we don't mow the grass, it will mature, form seed heads and much of the foliage will turn brown. As a result, lower nutritional quality.

b. Prairie dog towns have many forbs (weeds). They have greater nutrtional qualities than grass. Cattle will eat many of these forbs. Granted, many forbs are not consumed by cattle.

C. Overall, the clipping of vegetation to keep the grass in a lower vegetative stage and the increase in forbs that are consumed by cattle with a higher nutrtional quality, keeps the cows from losing weight, even when the available forage is less.

Now you tell me, the wind went down. That would have been cool.

prairie_dog.thumb.jpg

Latest posts