• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fire Wood

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
With all the different areas, I was wondering what kinda wood you all burn in your fireplaces/wood heaters.

Here we have tons of lob lolly pine, but we dont use it for firewood, it has too much pine tar in it and will build up in the chiminy causin chiminy fires. So we use red oak, pin oak, post oak, and hickory. The occasional hog pecan tree dies, it's good for either fire wood , bbq, or smokin meat. For kindlin we use a pine knot, but they are sometimes hard to find.

Tamarack and red fir are our favorites, black pine is good. Will be burning ponderosa pine next winter. They logged on the place we lease and left a half load of little crooked trees :) It's knottier, but if you don't have to split it it's ok.

Oh, and we have to get wood cutting permits on the Forest ground. Isn't anything to blow down in our pastures :?

I didnt mention here, if you have a tree fall, ya better git yer behind out there and get it cut up perdy soon, if left layin the bugs get in it and it's what we call....doughty. We have termites and ants both that will eat wood. Good thing if you have a rack that's up off the ground to put your wood on after it's split too, cuz if it's stacked directly on the ground, you'll be totin in fireants along with the wood. Not fun fightin ants inside the house. Much less gettin stung while totin it.

Burn mostly poplar from our pastures Knock it down in the fall and cut it in the spring. Don't envy the fire ants or termites but we took the wood box out of the house because of moths in the spring and late fall.

We burn whatever we buy! Usually poplar or jackpine. We burn about five cords a year, and hubby says he's too old and too fat to cut our own anymore. That's just fine by me! We keep our wood outside, too till it's time to go in the stove. I just bring up onto the deck what we'll burn in a day. I don't need no damn ants in my house.

White ash, hard maple, beech, cherry. Very fortunate to have a good-sized woodlot(s) on our property. Provides us with all of our winter's fuel suply as well as significant cash from occasional timber sales.

Our very favourites are either oak or maple. Both really hard woods that burn a long time. Poplar is next mainly because it's everywhere! It's an endless supply that makes up for the faster burning. :wink:

Mock Orange (Osage Orange, Bois D'Arc, etc.) is the best! It has to be dry and you must have a screen, but it will definitely put out more heat than any other wood I know of and burns longer!

In a pinch we will burn hickory, oak, cherry, any of the hardwoods except poplar or sweet gum. (Burns too fast.)

We use locust. Can't drive a nail in the crap for posts so we burn it. It lasts forever. Couple pieces of wood in the morning and a small piece of coal before bed...not too much to stoking our fire.

If we can get our hands on some good dry standing elm, that's what we use as it is the only wood I know of that burns so hot that it develops a blue flame. Normally though, birch and trembing aspen make up the majority of the woodpile, with white spruce, white ash and balsam fir used to make up some of the bulk on the warmer days.

The drought a couple of years ago killed thousands of oak (called jackknife oak here). It burns great.

Cut a pile a year ago which will last us a couple of winters. Ran an ad in the newpaper letting anyone who wants some to cut it. So far one guy who we call Choppin' John has cut about a dozen cords. And welcome to it.

I burn elm, ash and coal that comes from over in montana. Pick the coal up in belle fourche and haul it home in the pickup. Takes about three ton to heat the house over the winter and has been priced at about 87 dollars a ton in the past. Suppose because of the increase in fuel prices it will be costing more and I will be finding out soon.

ash is probably the hottest wood around here. any hardwood that is down will be burned though. Non descriminatory.

Alot of people round here usta use Bois de'Arc (pernounced Bordark) for fence posts. If you try to cut it with a chainsaw, it literally makes sparks its so hard, it absorbs enuff of the iron in the soil to make this happen...hard hard hard wood.

It's all oak here in the TX Hill country,I used to bring in some mesquite from the river place in south TX, to much work especially with all the oak here. The TX Hill country has been fighting a disease called "oak wilt" it has killed thousands of oak trees and it dont discriminate it has killed some oak trees here on my place that no amount of money could replace,some of them had to be hundreds of years old.It would take three men arm to arm to reach around the trunks,mighty sad to see those old trees die,but plenty of fire wood for the house, and a lil for the smoke house for smokin sausage...................good luck

HayMaker,
Ya better git yer smokehouse all primed and ready to go......
We are gonna hafta do the same, daughter got her hunter safety course under her belt last spring thru the FFA/Ag class and has informed us "she's gonna kill a deer" this season. All 85 lbs of her, I have no idea what we are gonna do to keep her from gittin knocked down by the "kick" when she shoots.

Latest posts