• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

First One In A Long Time

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
We had a heifer get bred out of season and she calved today-about half mile from the yard out in the bale grazing. Ty caught Hank and packed it in on him and the heifer followed good. First time the old buckskin has ever carried a calf but didn't bother him a bit. First winter calf in almost twenty years here.

Its great to hear from you. Also kinda amazing what a horse will do if asked. I think all 3 of my horses would allow me to pack a calf on them if I could get one lifted up that high. Lisa's horses, now that is a totally different story.

LazyWP said that their horses would do that but we've got 18 horses on this outfit and I don't think one of them would tolerate a calf on them. Hell they are half goofy about calf selds. And 7 of them cost us right around 100,000 from Bill Smith in Wyoming. They are good horses but not as ranchy as a person would like.

Ty has 7 geldings in the pen that are for sale-when he gets done with them they are pretty well rounded ranch horses-he riides them about once in the arena and then they head out to the great outdoors. We run our horses and cattle together so they don't have any cow chasing vices. Any time I packed a calf I just hoisted it up there and hoped for the best lol. Six of those geldings are from Leachman's dispersal this spring they seem pretty level headed so far. Not sure if he'll ride them over the railway bridge like he did with the big buckskin we got from BMR. I garantee they'll cost you less than at Smith's-Jim Smith was the one who helped me sort through the few hundred they had at the sale-heck of a nice guy.

Longrope said:
LazyWP said that their horses would do that but we've got 18 horses on this outfit and I don't think one of them would tolerate a calf on them. Hell they are half goofy about calf selds. And 7 of them cost us right around 100,000 from Bill Smith in Wyoming. They are good horses but not as ranchy as a person would like.

This one used to pack calves all the time, 17 years ago.

Horses018-1.jpg

If I can haul a dog on him I should be able to pack a calf. I don't think there is anything, within reason, that this horse won't do.

NickandCinch.jpg

And this one is willing enough to do anything. I just am not sure I could lift a calf high enough to get it on him. He's 16+ hands tall

Horses015-1.jpg

All together I spent $800 for the 3, but I have also put many, many miles and hours on all 3 of them.

Yeah horses are great until they scrape the paint off the hood of the good truck and tear open bags of feed as you are packing them into the barn.

broke them of that this morning. they stayed away from the truck.

Ol' Red has never complained about anything I've hauled on it. :wink:

When we did use horses for exclusively I carried pretty much anything on them once they were well started. The only one that had an aversion to a load was my old Dollar horse. He would carry any load I put on him but a coyote. Every time I caught one when I was trapping it was a 5 star bronc ride. Sometimes he won but we always came home together with our catch of the day. :lol:
Wolves he carried without a fuss but when I had to load a coyote my coat came off for a blind and then I would tie one front foot up. He could still cow-kick with that rigging on if you didn't pay attention. By the rollers in his nostrils and the quiver in his whole body he gave the impression that it was the first time he had ever been saddled.
Once the load was tied down I would mount up, remove the blind and put it back on, take a deep seat and let his foot down again. At times he would step right out and try to catch me unaware but most times he would shake the kinks out of both of us immediately.
He was 17 when I loaded the last coyote on him and the performance was no less spectacular than any other.
Dollar was raised by Conrad Berg of Neidpath Sask. and I bought him from a fellow who had made trade with the Gang Ranch and then couldn't handle him. He was a 4 year old when he became mine and I shot the old boy for bear bait when he was 27. He performed his last job as well as he did the rest of the tasks he was given. :wink:

Congratulations on the successful calving NR, our LAST calf of 2011 was born Dec. 28 to a cow that we bought as a pair last May. Looks like one more to come early from that bunch and then we can sleep til' April.

Latest posts