• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

First Ride after rehabilitation

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Yesterday was a monumental day for my daughter. About 6 months ago a friend of ours had a horse that just wasn't recovering from a broken front leg and was debating putting the horse down. This fella has helped us work cows now for goin on 10 years. Well long story short, and a lotta tears from a lil blonde, he ended up giving the horse to our daughter. I told her from the beginning, I wasn't spending alot of money on him.
This is what happened yesterday while we were working on our catch pens, my hubby elbowed me and pointed out towards the pasture. This is what I saw.........................
2005-09-11-Wildman-Amanda.jpg

Here she is again
2005-09-11-Wildman-Amanda-2.jpg

Here she is afterward......just hadda git on the cell phone and call her best friend to tell her allllll about it.
2005-09-11-Cellphone-amanda.jpg

She's put alotta hard work into getting this horse where he is today. When we got him he was in terrible shape. I think from just bein in pain. We gave him bute pills in his feed for a couple weeks and she would work his leg, stretching it and making him walk on it. Basically the only thing we've invested in him is a few bags of feed, the bute tablets (whice were cheap), a little bit of ivomec and the farrier. Along with a big ole chunk of her heart. She loves this horse almost as much as she loves her barrel horse.

Give her a big "atta girl" from me!

Good built horse. Ni9ce short cannonbones. Ask your daughter if he's for sale! :oops:

Sure looks to be in good shape now.

The leg was broken while the horse was in his stall. Freak accident durin a bad lightenin storm last october. He was taken to a Equine hospital, and I'm sure the bill was outrageous because he stayed there for almost a month. The vet had said then, with lots of work he'd probably come out 85%. I think he's still a little weak in his front left leg, but not where the break was. it was way up high almost where his leg connects with his body. Standing at rest for so long and not putting any weight on the leg let all the tendons and stuff get really short. I need to see if I have any pictures of him before and post them too. She's hoping she can just ride him in the pasture....maybe push cows to the corral when we pen. But he was an awsome ropin horse in his day. I'm sure that'll be next lol.
03-13-05-Wildman-bad-leg-2.jpg

Found it!!! This is the day he was given to her.

Ohhhhhhh, in that last photo, you can just see the pain he was in. Poor guy. I'm so glad things turned out better for him, and for her, too. That might have been a real heart breaker.

I'm sure she wouldn't try to rope on him, would she? I doubt if he could stand up to that, even now. They really have to reach out with that left front leg to turn a steer off.

I'd call just being able to ride him good. Especially knowing that he could travel because of me. What a satisfaction that must be for her.

Yup,you done good Lilly,with the horse and the girl,the differnce in those two horse picture's is like nite and day.It sure is nice to see kids brought up the right way too,that lil lady will make a fine woman,thanks to mama..............good luck

Oh she won't be doin any serious ropin on him, maybe rope calves and drag em in the lot when we work. She's wanted to try break away ropin, tho not off him. but he'd at least let her get a start at swingin a rope. She has a 6 year old that she's workin with for barrels and he'd make a decent ropin horse I think. Thats her plan anyway.

Thanks for the complements on my daughter, we are awful proud of her. She's always busy and keeps us runnin but I wouldnt trade nothin in the world for her. She refers to this horse as her "project". She wants to be a vet. So this has just more or less cemented that goal. So Ya'll look out, in another 10 years or so she just might be the one that shows up when ya hafta call the vet out. hehe

Awwwww what a nice ending to a crappy beginning. What a great job your young lady has done. :D

We will be working cows Friday Mornin and the fella that gave her the horse will be there helpin us. She absolutely possitively CANNOT WAIT to show him what she's done with this horse.
The FFA Ag class that she is in is coming out also to "observe" so she'll get to be there. She's tried to convince me to let her totally miss school altogether. (Normally we work cows on Saturday mornins) but the sale starts at 11 am and it's just pushin too hard to get em worked and loaded and hauled in that amount of time. She'll get to help but I'm still "thinkin" about the missin school part, if they aren't there for 1st class they are counted absent.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
We will be working cows Friday Mornin and the fella that gave her the horse will be there helpin us. She absolutely possitively CANNOT WAIT to show him what she's done with this horse.
The FFA Ag class that she is in is coming out also to "observe" so she'll get to be there. She's tried to convince me to let her totally miss school altogether. (Normally we work cows on Saturday mornins) but the sale starts at 11 am and it's just pushin too hard to get em worked and loaded and hauled in that amount of time. She'll get to help but I'm still "thinkin" about the missin school part, if they aren't there for 1st class they are counted absent.

Most of the time the education they learn at home is more valueble than what those teachers preach.Remember those who can do and those who can't teach....Let her stay home....

My duaghter brought home a paper from her home room yeasterday they wanted to know her hobbies or what she liked to do.

1.Ride Horse

2.Work Cows

I said are you sure thats what I should put down on the list.She said YEESSSSS its Fun.....

Naw, she went ahead and went to school since she also had a volley ball game that evening and she was afraid that if she didn't go ahead and be counted as present she might not get to play. But I tell ya what, it was really interesting having a bunch of kiddo's out there that had never seen a "cow workin" before. HaHa, mine went back to school with cow poop all over her, and they were standin back sayin "ewwwww" She promptly informed them that "the green stuff", smells like money. hehehe

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Naw, she went ahead and went to school since she also had a volley ball game that evening and she was afraid that if she didn't go ahead and be counted as present she might not get to play. But I tell ya what, it was really interesting having a bunch of kiddo's out there that had never seen a "cow workin" before. HaHa, mine went back to school with cow poop all over her, and they were standin back sayin "ewwwww" She promptly informed them that "the green stuff", smells like money. hehehe

Well its alot better than grease...

Latest posts