• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Forage Kochia

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
I have been thinking about trying some forage kochia on some pasture ground i graze. There have been several studies done about it that i have found. It sounds like it is pretty drought tolerant and would be a good fall/winter feed. Wondering if any of ya'll have used it and your thoughts about it? :D Thanks!

Link to a U of Wyo study in beef magazine
http://beefmagazine.com/feed/university-wyoming-research-eyes-forage-kochia-feed-reclamation-efforts

Here's another link to Utah State University and some more grazing kochia research. Click on the studies towards the bottom. The Rush Valley study was done about 5 miles from where i summer my cows.

http://extension.usu.edu/rangelands/htm/grazing-management

Sounds interesting. Don't know anything about but I would find out how to get rid of it if it invades your other forage. If other chemicals don't work well and you have to roundup it I would think that would be a disaster.

A lot of kochia is starting to become resistant to glysophate chemical, so you might have a hard time getting rid of it when you don't want it. Probably in your area the use of chemical to contain it hasn't been used enough to allow kochia to become resistant. You will find when cut at the right time it will have close to the same feed value as alfalfa, but make sure you test it for nitrates if it gets stressed during its growing stage it can be high in nitrates. You will see cows go after it over alfalfa so it can make a great cheap feed.

I've fed lots of kochia weed in the past. It's hard to cure, can be high in nitrates just a friggin' nusence . But it has pull some cattle through the winter. :?

When the fire came though our desert permit five years ago that is what the blm planted back. It seems to be working really well for the cows. When you come out and ride with us i will show you some.

Latest posts