• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Forage Raised Red Angus Bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mill Iron A

Reaction score
Hello, I have always red a lot on this site but haven't posted much. This link http://www.cattleinmotion.com/lots/gallery/140108Mill will take you to some videos of forage raised 18 month old bulls. They haven't had hay just winter grazing and dry mineral. They look a little tough but I'm confident that they will last a long time. Here is my question, are they so tough looking that you would be hard presses to buy one? Or is it worth it knowing their potential longevity?

I would think it would be easier to pick the better bulls when they are'nt pushed so hard.The one who will lose money is the guy selling them normally. Most people want bulls that are'nt pushed until you bring them some then they either don't bid or don't bid much. My bulls are on Accuration this year.

You can send R7!

For the most part, that's a nice pen of bulls. Wish you the best in finding buyers that realize they are seeing the real package without the corn wrapping.

Tuff... Not tough. You are giving those bulls no reason to look back when they are at their new home. I'd be curious as to how long you've raised and offered them like that. Good luck on them.

A bull's index within his "Contemporary Group" is what is important. The cream will rise to the top whether fed grain, dry lotted on hay, or developed on grazing pasture. But not on the same plane.

A few years ago I randomly separated two weaning groups of bulls, development fed one group and grazed the other group.

When sale time came, the grazed bulls brought significantly less money than the fed bulls even though genetics were very similar. (Many were half siblings paternally and some were 2 generations down maternally.) The profits from the fed bulls made up for the losses of the grazed bulls.

Taught me to visually divide groups of bulls developed different ways from buyers. They will pay more for the fatter, more finished bulls every time. Even though the genetics are basically the same.

Plus, cost of development of all bulls was about equal money.

My question is, and it is semi-rhetorical since the record bears out that it really must not matter at all since Angus/Red Angus are so popular, but does it not bother anybody to see Angus after Angus after Angus strutting around with those lazy ass peckers? How come that defect has become so acceptable?

And I am sorry to ask on this thread, I am not trying to pick on this breeder, just ALL POLLED cattle seem to have this issue and no one seems to give a hoot?!?!?!?!?!?

You mean lazy ass pecker syndrome? They have an EPD for that now I've heard. :roll: What the hell are you talking about nortexsook? I get 94% conception every year. My Angus bulls don't have lazy ass peckers.

Big Swede said:
You mean lazy ass pecker syndrome? They have an EPD for that now I've heard. :roll:

How does the EPD work? The higher the epd the more the pecker hangs out and a negative epd means just the head hangs out???

Oh now I see what you mean. I had never heard that term before. I guess I've never seen that happen much in my herd, can't speak for anyone else. Does it affect the bull's ability to breed?

Fat bulls wil tend to have a number of problems. Bad feet, poorer fertility for the rest of their lives, but also in some cases more penis problems because it just ain't their tongues hanging out when it gets hot. :eek:

Fat bulls wil tend to have a number of problems. Bad feet, poorer fertility for the rest of their lives, but also in some cases more penis problems because it just ain't their tongues hanging out when it gets hot. :eek:

Big Swede said:
Oh now I see what you mean. I had never heard that term before. I guess I've never seen that happen much in my herd, can't speak for anyone else. Does it affect the bull's ability to breed?

It can certainly shorten the useful life of a bull. More apt to get infected. Especially when in tall grass with seed heads or even in dusty/sandy pasture. Lots of pathogens in dust/sand/soil.

With what bulls cost these days, I'd sure like to get my money's worth

Bulls can be FIT without being FAT, for sure. If you think they are on a hot ration, just look at their behinds. Usually if the ration is too hot they will exhibit a very dirty behind...acidosis...from not being able to digest the ration. FWIW

We have bought plenty of black angus bulls with tight sheaths. Just something you watch for. Not all of them are loose sheathed. :roll:

I have to agree with Denny. Stockmen talk about buying bulls that aren't fat, but when it gets right down to it, they like 'em fat and that's what they pay for...fat can cover up a lot of faults.......

Mill Iron, I'd like to see your bulls in a little better flesh, but that's just me.
I think they are a body condition score of no more than 5, and I'd like to see them at a 6 at least. FWIW.

Personally I would want 100lb more weight on them, as most people here put 25 or 30 cows with a two yrold. They would be pretty wore down by the end of the season. I am a bit more concerned with the shallow rib and high tailheads that several of them have. My question is how you expect to make any money off them at 2500$. Your customers are culling mature bulls and getting more than that in some cases. 800$ over fat price is not much payback for all the work, risk and expense involved.

I see some useful bulls in the group. I would think their condition would especially work for those who calve and turn bulls out later. At that point they would really look shiny after 30-60+ days on green grass with the benefit of never being pushed hard on feed.

Good luck with your bulls :D .

Thank you everyone for your comments. I do agree they will be more ready for a little later turn out, I have never had problems with them being too lazy in their prepoose but I agree it's something to watch. Battle T I think you pose a good question, being an unknown breeder I have them priced and was trying to develop them to build a grass root customer base. Solid customers that came back because the bulls worked for them. It was a way of diversifying the operation. Their rib is adequate the fill is what's throwing them off, totally agree on higher tail set than desired but we are a work in progress. Thanks again.

I sell off the farm in much the same format as you, I run an open house sale with all info posted as well as prices. I find that decent people and breeders are willing to pay you for your efforts, do not sell yourself short. I take what the auction sales are going in my area for equivalent cattle, and deduct the commission paid and other auction expenses I do not incur, therefore I pass these savings on. In my area this year two year olds will be selling in the 3500-3800$ range. I also found that if you cannot get the prices you want, do two things, get some better cows, and ignore price shoppers.

Latest posts