• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

FOUR TIMES!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
4 flipping times,
Sue and I got some cull cows and bull into the loading chute corral this morning then we got some pairs into the back corral we hear a big bang and the old barn is shaking. I look out front and there are 2 bulls they took out a Powder River gate and a rail road tie. I had the tractor there that we used a bale on back to get the pairs in (snowed all night) I pulled the tractor up and pushed the tie back up and wired it to the tractor. We got the bull we were keeping worked out into another big lot. Then an Angus bull back in with the cull cows. We get the cows sorted off and then work the big polled Hereford back into the back corral We roped him earlier to put a green tag in his right ear (we live in a DSA county or area)he was too big to get down the alley way. Well a couple hours later the semi get there we load 5 cows on the nose, Sue yells the cull angus bull just went over the 6 1/2 foot corral fence over into the big lot. We load 30 calves into the top then get the Angus bull back in front of the barn but he will not go into the loading chute corral. Next thing he jump the corral into the pasture with the cows. We got him back with some quick foot work and let the bull in the back corral in with the calves .Then put the jumping bull in the back corral. Tell Sue to stand out side the gate so he wouldn't jump out. Me and the Truck driver load the Hereford bull a cow and 30 calves in the bottom. We go back to get the Jumper he goes over the side of the corral into an Alfalfa field. Well get him chased thru 4 gates and he with the last 5 calves to go on the back….. he almost made it out under the tail gate…. Then the trucker calls up an hour later he over weight but they told him to go except for the Snake River bridge at Hoback Jct, So he had to go on the forest service road over Fall creek to Wilson then to Jackson on to Riverton, Figure he be there maybe by 10 PM tonight…. Sue and I even found time this afternoon to slaughter a lamb.

we have big sq bales of straw. i find them great to make a pen or wall to hold stock. If i had a difficult animal like your bull i would put a big square bale on the loader and push nudge him into the trailer. safe too.

jodywy

The next time you have one like that give him a pan of feed with 50 or a 100 Bayer aspirin mixed in. It will calm him down within a ½ hr.
It takes 52 Bayer Aspirin to equal one Bolus for cattle.
SL

Sir Loin said:
jodywy

The next time you have one like that give him a pan of feed with 50 or a 100 Bayer aspirin mixed in. It will calm him down within a ½ hr.
SL

That sounds like info I can put to good use next week when we work cows - - - I have one nut that is going to get 100 asprin before the vet shows ( I'm going to check with him first ) she is about 2,100# and if I am the only one around has calmed a bunch but when others come around she alternates between being a fighting bull and being a jumping cow!

well being a Black Angus it understanable, but to give creidit the big polled Herefored lifted him into the Powder River Gate and lifted and push him thru it so really he only jumped 3 Pole Corral fences :D

jodywy said:
well being a Black Angus it understanable, but to give creidit the big polled Herefored lifted him into the Powder River Gate and lifted and push him thru it so really he only jumped 3 Pole Corral fences :D

danged Herefords. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A couple of Benedral (sp) sure calmed down my daughter 80 pound dog when we had to pull quills. :D

I have a crazy big blk witch ,she is not mean just spooky as heck when corralled. Every second year I end up just letting her out instead of preg checking/vaccs and running through the chute. Funny thing is ,if she is out in the open or it is just me alone with her she is as calm as lap dog. She even let me assist her with twins last calving, out in the middle of the pasture.

Next year for herd health, she is getting a little thing called Ace :wink:

What is really the strange part is that I have AI'd her quite a few times and never a problem running her through the system .. :?

George said:
Sir Loin said:
jodywy

SL

That sounds like info I can put to good use next week when we work cows - - -
Could you also use a good used car? How about some ocean front property in your county? Try a cc of ACE per 400lbs and you'll get along a lot better.

redrobin said:
George said:
Sir Loin said:
jodywy

SL

Could you also use a good used car? How about some ocean front property in your county? Try a cc of ACE per 400lbs and you'll get along a lot better.

Aren't all cows supposed to be a little "active"? :lol:

Have to say, I've never had a cow make it out of our corrals other than through a gate. A lot have tried. :D

By Ace I assume you mean Acepromazine.

Two problems with Ace.
First it is not approved and therefore you don't know the with holding time, whereas aspirin is approved and you do know the with holding time..
Second you have to get the animal in the chute to give the injection whereas aspirin can be given any where.
And two point five, you most likely have aspirin on sight and it has no expiration date as does Ace.

IMO aspirin is safer, cheaper, and a lot easier.
SL

gcreekrch said:
redrobin said:
George said:

Aren't all cows supposed to be a little "active"? :lol:

Have to say, I've never had a cow make it out of our corrals other than through a gate. A lot have tried. :D
tis bull if he could get his nose over he was going over, true the one time the Hereford gave him a bit of a lift..... :D

Sir Loin said:
By Ace I assume you mean Acepromazine.

Two problems with Ace.
First it is not approved and therefore you don't know the with holding time, whereas aspirin is approved and you do know the with holding time..
Second you have to get the animal in the chute to give the injection whereas aspirin can be given any where.
And two point five, you most likely have aspirin on sight and it has no expiration date as does Ace.

IMO aspirin is safer, cheaper, and a lot easier.
SL

We dont have any cows that will come up and eat out of a pan. I guess if we did, we wouldnt need to give'em aspirin. If one does ever need calmed down with meds, the dart gun seems to work just fine. Although we work ours off of horses and after a couple of kicks to the head a honky cow seems to wanna just get along. Im not sure why but the cows seem to work better when we are horseback rather than on foot.

Just because aomething isnt approved doesnt mean it wont work. We use lota of things around here for other than approved purposes. They seem to work, but if something happens, I reckon it will be our fault and we will take responsibilty. Dont use Ropmpum on cows though. I made that mistake once and put some into.what seemed lile a coma. Took'em about 8 hours to come out of it.

George did I read correctly that you had a cow that weighed 2100# ?

As far as ace is concerned if I had her in to give it I would not need it!

Yes I can feed her a pile of corn before anyone else is around so that will be easy.

Yes she is one of 15 Charolis I bought about 10 years ago ( only 2 left in the herd and the other is a model to work ) and as I have culled them off they are all 2,100# or more. She does not get out but the corral is 4 guard rails high and she will jump and bounce off the top one. I keep thinking she will get herself broken or learn but she doesn't seem to learn.

I had another that you could walk out to and put baling twine on and lead anywhere but if a trailer showed up she would bounce over the guard rail , two more hotwire fences and go to the next road, next day she would be back with her buddies. I finally parked a 24' trailer in the corral and fed hay in the nose of it for a week. One of our local barns sells Monday evening. On Monday afternoon I got her in the trailer and shipped her. I warned the sale barn about her , she got over 3 bull pens before she got tired enough to stay - - -she weighed 2,350#

The reason I'm getting rid of the Charolis is they eat to much and still wean calves about the same size as off my 1,200# Angus.

They keep looking great as they are producing a much smaller percentage of calf. Most have been very easy to handle ( that is a blessing as big as they are ) but I feel I can keep 2 Angus on the same ground as 1 of them.

Texn,
Re
Just because aomething isnt approved doesnt mean it wont work.
How true. I use to use a lead pipe years ago.
But my point was: If you are loading him for slaughter, with all this age and source thingee, If you don't watch your with holding time you could very well be back charger for him, if they find it in the meat.

If he/she stays on the ranch, no problem, use what ever gets the job done.
SL

Latest posts