• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Free Ranching Advice from an Old Pro

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Neruda

Reaction score
Short Version: For free advice from a newly retired 90-year-old cattle rancher, email [email protected]..

Long version: My grandpa is a 90-year-old newly retired cattle rancher who spent all of his professional life in ranching. When I say he's retired, I mean that he's no longer physically able to do much in the field, and has had to sell off his cattle as a result. He's been a productive guy his whole life, and the fact he's no longer making a difference is pretty hard for him. You can only spend so many hours sitting around watching westerns without going stir crazy.

Anyway, I was thinking, perhaps his expertise could be of use to others in the industry. I asked him if he would be up for answering questions from the internet, and got an enthusiastic "sure enough". So help a great older guy who still has all his marbles to remain involved in ranching, and help yourself to his expertise. His email address is [email protected]. and he's ready to help anyone and everyone!

well if he has an email address he obviously knows how to run a computer, why don't you turn him on to this site, He would probably enjoy all the "chatter" on here I know this is the first web site I visit every evening when I get on the computer, he might really enjoy it.

Well, I was trying to spare you the gory details, but he actually dislikes computers quite a bit. My grandmother has graciously volunteered to read him the questions and type out his responses. So unfortunately, email is still probably the best way to make use of him.

I hate to say it but even if you guys felt like throwing a few unnecessary questions his way just to help keep him busy (and give him and my grandmother something to collaborate on), that'd be no bad thing. I would fabricate a question here and there, but I don't know enough to come up with anything plausible.

I think I will email the old coot and ask him few questons where is he located ?
good luck

No offense but a 90 year old Texas rancher reminded me of this.

> An 80-year-old rancher from
> West Texas goes to
> Houston Medical Center for a check-up.
>
> The doctor is amazed at what good shape the guy is in and
> asks,
> "How do you stay in such great physical condition?"
>
> ... "I'm from West Texas and in my spare time I like to hunt
> and
> fish" says the old guy, "and that's why I'm in such good
> shape.
> I'm up well before daylight riding herd and mending fences
> and
> when I'm not doing that, I'm out hunting or fishing. In the
>
> evening, I have a beer, a shot of whiskey and all is well."
>
> "Well," says the doctor, "I'm sure that helps, but there's
> got to
> be more to it. How old was your father when he died?"
>
> "Who said my father's dead?"
>
> The doctor is amazed. "You mean you're 80 years old and
> your
> father's still alive? How old is he?"
>
> "He's 100 years old," says the old cowboy. "In fact he worked
> and
> hunted with me this morning, and had a little beer and that's
> why
> he's still alive. He's a West River rancher and he hunts and
>
> fishes too!"
>
> "Well," the doctor says, "that's great, but I'm sure there's
> more
> to it than that. How about your father's father? How old was
> he
> when he died?"
>
> "Who said my grandpa's dead?"
>
> Stunned, the doctor asks, "You mean you're 80 years old and
> your
> grandfather's still alive?"
>
> "He's 118 years old," says the man.
>
> The doctor is getting frustrated at this point, "So, I guess
> he
> went hunting with you this morning too?"
>
> "No, Grandpa couldn't go this morning because he's getting
> married
> today."
>
> At this point the doctor is close to losing it. "Getting
> Married??? Why would a 118 year-old guy want to get married?"
>
> "Who said he wanted to...?
>

A lot of the reason those old guys live so long is they worked hard all their lives, they enjoyed what they did for a living, most of them did it as a family unit and they dang near lived on straight meat.

I hope it's not too rude to bump this thread once in a while. Grandpa's really enjoyed the questions he's had so far, and could definitely use more.

Latest posts