• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

FUNNEL BUTTS & GREED! - It' a CATCH 22!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

www.angus.org/performance/index.html

The adjustments chart did not come out too well. Follow this link.

When I was holding my bull sale on the farm I would post actual weights and the date. I had a couple guys want the adjusted 205, and I asked them in the real world who sells their calves on an adjusted weight?

Weight the calves younger and the adjusted 205 will be higher, weight them later and it will be lower for the reason FH posted, rate of gain declines as the calves age.

Elwapo,

I'm beginning to thik Bone Ossification done by USDA graders is a more exact science than Preg Checking. I had two butcher cows at the sale I suspected tobe bred checked on Oct 4.......They were called 3 and 4 months. Nov. 29 I took them back to sell as Bred Cows. Same Vet (He owns a genetic service company, so should be as talented as any) Preged them. Nearly two months later, he called one 4 months and the other 8 months,

PPRM

FH, why would you want to know an adjusted 205 day weight, rather than just an in herd ratio? For a commercial operation, I couldn't see much advantage to knowing that statistic. I would think you could adjust each calves weight to 205 days, or whatever magic number, by figuring the average gain in EACH age group of your cows. For example compare all 6 year olds cows steers against each other, etc. That would tell you all you wanted to know as far as gain for that class of cow, for culling reasons of course. Otherwise it would just be an exercise of your mind. :lol:

That is IF you wanted to know that badly. :wink:

Heck be really scientific-sort your soundness culls off-then take the 5 or 10 percent of your sorriest calves and pen them. Sort the cows that come up and bawl. Saves lots of weighing and praying.

Northern Rancher said:
Heck be really scientific-sort your soundness culls off-then take the 5 or 10 percent of your sorriest calves and pen them. Sort the cows that come up and bawl. Saves lots of weighing and praying.
If you read these posts regularly, you will ultimately come across something that will save you BIG TIME and BIG DOLLARS! NR- this is one of the most unique ideas I have heard in some time! Simple, practical, effective, and you kill two birds with one rock! You win the "DH-DGMS" (DOC HARRIS-DON'T GET ME STARTED) Award for 2005!

DOC HARRIS

Oh, no, I like numbers and what they tell me. I can do this on a cold winter day. Warms me right up.

And it doesn't matter the age of the cow. I list them according to what the calves gain per head per day and look at it that way. The last ones on the list gain the least. It's just a fun thing for your mind to do.
Works better'n a crossword puzzle.

But it's probably a woman thing. :wink:

Cuz my husband would do just what NR suggested. 'Cept our calves are all tagged and we don't have to do that even. We only had to cull one cow this year for raising a too-small calf. I had my eye on her anyway, because she fell through the cracks last year.

NR, I like that cowboy logic. That is what we basically do too. Either turn them back out on the cow to pair 'em up at weaning, or look at the cow they are paired up with before we wean and write her number down if she still has a tag. One neighbor has one of those handy paint ball guns and he marks the cow by shooting her with a paintball. It lasts a long time too.

I use them heat detecting big bunches-NOTE-All horses don't like a paint ball gun getting shot over their ears. Note 2-If your going to shoot the bosses border collie use red paint he'll think he just got kicked hard. Note 3-Shoot boss after he pays you lol.

Latest posts