• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Funny all the hereford bashing lately

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike said:
Nothing extraordinary to the CAB specs. :roll:

Hey Mike, I guess we had better inform the likes of the Waldorf Astoria and other high-end restaurants that are paying good money for this "less-than-extraordinary product? :roll: :wink: Funny, I would have guessed that they've done a little market research with their clientele? Guess you should give them a call and put a stop to the madness? :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:

Make no mistake, it's the "upper 2/3's of Choice" criterion that sets CAB apart from the rest. The other 9 standards are just to catch the obviously undesirable characteristics. I'm entirely approving of our industry looking toward tenderness and any other factor that improves marketability of beef. If you sell cattle to the packer then you know that Quality Grade (including CAB as a sub-set of that system) is the item that brings the money to the table. Right now the Choice-Select spread is pretty dismal, but this is a short-term market phenomenon.

HP

Yeah I've heard of Lehr's-I'll have to go by there on one of my excursions.U'S Herefords have alot of good cattle that aren't just bred by numbers-all Canadian Herefords aren't intrinsically better just because they are straight Canadian. BMR you have to admit that last one was pretty lame lol. shorthorn my cows don't graze out all year around-we have eight months of winter and four months of poor sledding lol. They do have to get by on hay during that time and the bulls we raise don't ever get any grain. Alot of those straight Hereford pictures are taken at Fraser's where we buy our bulls from.

my point northern ranch if they can survive that and do good they would be easy keepin gotta love them queens down here where i live.lol

I have actually got some Shorthon x Angus cross cows.....They have served me well. I like the depth and thickness of the calves.

PPRM

NR well worth the trip to Lehr's place. He's not one to pamper the cattle they have to work. I well know where cattle are from doesn't effect quality completely there are other factors. But at the Lehr outfit these hereford go back in the family for a few generations and being developed under the same principles in the canadian climate for generations will have an effect. They are also getting into selling baldie replacement females as they run a commercial herd as well as a pb herd. You won't find a straighter shooter that will tell you everything he knows about his cattle even the kind of cows that his bulls will work best on and going as far as saying it sounds like this bull isn't what you need look over there at another breeder's animal that animal might be a better fit for your program.

High Plains said:
Mike said:
Nothing extraordinary to the CAB specs. :roll:

Hey Mike, I guess we had better inform the likes of the Waldorf Astoria and other high-end restaurants that are paying good money for this "less-than-extraordinary product? :roll: :wink: Funny, I would have guessed that they've done a little market research with their clientele? Guess you should give them a call and put a stop to the madness? :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:

Make no mistake, it's the "upper 2/3's of Choice" criterion that sets CAB apart from the rest. The other 9 standards are just to catch the obviously undesirable characteristics. I'm entirely approving of our industry looking toward tenderness and any other factor that improves marketability of beef. If you sell cattle to the packer then you know that Quality Grade (including CAB as a sub-set of that system) is the item that brings the money to the table. Right now the Choice-Select spread is pretty dismal, but this is a short-term market phenomenon.

HP
High Plains, that can't be right...lean beef is the product that NCBA/CBB is promoting to the consumer and that is what we should be producing to regain market share!!! :eek: :shock: :roll: :roll: {sarcasm}

RenFarms said:
To make the system even more attractive to meat packers, the scientists have just added an image-analysis program.

I recently wrote an article for the AGBA (American Galloway Breeders' Assoc) that was based on research in Germany. The Image Analysis System (also known as Computer Image Analysis, CIA) is the real truth detector in the world of beef quality assurance. CIA can view deposits of fat down to the 4 pixel level, whereas the human eye (i.e. the usda grader) can see down to around the 100 pixel level. Research has shown that the distribution of fat, and its form, punctiform or reticular (punctiform are small point like deposits, and are more desirable than reticular, which are larger streaks of fat) most affect eating quality of beef. The distribution of the marbling is also very important for producing a good eating experience. The more evenly distributed the fat, the better. Therefore, a steak with larger, more visible streaks of fat may grade better than a steak with smaller, less detectable parcels of fat distributed more evenly throughout the meat, even though the latter cut will provide the better eating experience.
Judy, Nolan Ryan Tender Aged Beef has been using the Colorado State developed Beef Cam for years...at chain speed! I've only had a few of their steaks(select grade), but they were tender even though over cooked. Problem is that the packers will lose money if they grind these tough steaks. The question is...Are packers willing to do this?

RM, your anti-NCBA bias is over ruling your common sense!

Surely you know that NCBA does not simply promot "lean beef", but to a variety of products to serve consumers desire for a variety of beef products for different 'eating experiences'.

There are MANY consumers who want lean beef for a variety of reasons.

There are MANY consumers who want only the best quality beef.

There are MANY consumers who want low cost beef only.

AND there are many consumers who want one or another of these beef products on a given day!

NCBA works toward pleasing ALL those consumers, contrary to your understanding of the members goals.

mrj

Faster horses said:
Darn. I can't get the "I agree" emoticon to transfer over here.
Getting real tired of that. Anyone know what is wrong?

Maybe someone is telling you you shouldn't agree :wink: :lol: :p

Until the issues of fat are addressed, we are not going to regain market share. Promoting lean beef as more healthy is telling consumers that natural animal fats is unhealthy...or, at the very least, it's blatant hypocrisy because the industry pays more for fatter beef!!!!!
Where are most of the good nutrients you brag about located...in the fat tissue!!!!!! Largely because of the(liberal, anti-meat) news media, eating red meat has become synonymous with bad health...namely heart disease. The scientific theory used to back these claims has never been proven and thanks to new research, the truth is coming out...no thanks to NCBA/CBB!

mrj, your blind-NCBA worship is over ruling your common sense!

I m replying to some of the messages further back were there was some real breed bashing and discussen of fads coming and going .
fads come and go if a manger tried to keep up with fads he would be liquidating his herd all the time instead of raising calves . A old cattleman told me once that the earlybird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese. you can't win playing fads. As for the herefords and angus breeds we need good purebred stock to produce better crossbred stock. the simple scientific fact is crossbreds out perform and grade better on the rail MOST of the time . Personally I am partial to the black/red baldy calves. We use hereford bulls on Angus Simmy composite cows to do this .
there has not been a baldy fad . when herefords were doing good baldys were good, now the angus are doing good and baldys are still good . that is the way I think of it any how.

My dad also had angus crossed with herefords and they were good as well. He tried the shorthorns but had alot of trouble with the bulls, said it wasn't worth it to have them on the place as he had to fixed more fence with them there. (Even had a shorthorn bull that flat-footed over a corral fence 8 ft. high, he when to town. :!: :wink: :!: ) He later had some very good blue roan cows that where some of the best cows he ever had, and the calves they threw were top of the line calves come fall round up. He tried the Texas long-horns too, but they crawled thru every fence on the place and they calves were alittle too wirey and light weight come fall. :? But he did start the angus-hereford cross because he liked what the calves we saw in Montana on a ranch up there. But then trial and error you learn what is best for you and yer herd. :)

Latest posts