• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Gerald Fry?????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher said:
I wonder why not our climate and area are virtually identical-and I did see your post_I guess I'm cheap enough to be eternally patient when it comes to not spending money on spray lol.

:lol: Believe me, I'm cheap too and would prefer to never have to touch another chemical in my life. I'm not sure what area you're in, but how long ago was the land farmland versus pasture? I'm guessin' that our problems in this area come from too many years of improper farming techniques, or insufficient chemical use (better to use none at all than not enough).

What kind of land you have? We're mostly moss with clay base a few feet down to hold moisture at the surface. My better land is a mile south, which is pretty much solid clay dirt. I don't have near the weed problems with it, but I also run alfalfa on that land.

Rod

Diamond S I'm straight west of you about 300 miles and aways north-our soil types are identical-our thistle problem was on peat moss pasture that had never been farmed-they got bad after a fire went through and we had some burnouts. How is Dale Pocock doing I remember touring his grass plots a few years back.

Northern Rancher said:
Diamond S I'm straight west of you about 300 miles and aways north-our soil types are identical-our thistle problem was on peat moss pasture that had never been farmed-they got bad after a fire went through and we had some burnouts. How is Dale Pocock doing I remember touring his grass plots a few years back.

I don't want to start rumors but didn't Dale pass away?

Yeah, never farmed is a plus. I walked through the community pasture that borders one of my pastures and noticed that it wasn't bad for thistle at all, although it was getting tree-ed in pretty bad.

Dale had himself an accident a couple years ago and was hurt pretty bad. To be honest, I'm not even sure the old boy is still with us. I'll ask my folks tomorrow and see what happened to him.

I know he's not farming anymore though. Its too bad, as I needed some grass seed next year and he had some good stuff.

Rod

MoosominTrip068.jpg

Wonder what Geraldo would think of this non linebred bull-he was Dylan Biggs high gaining bull off his forage test in 1995-pretty good rig and still breeding cows at 11 when this picture taken-he can stay fat on snowballs and promises. We finally got him drawn and are going to use him to try and put some scouth back in these frail poormilking holsteins that pass as Angus these days.

Boys I won't profess to knowing anymore than the next guy, but I've done a fair bit of reading - by my own standards - into Dr. Albrechts' work and numerous 'graziers' since his time, and where there's a plant of any type, desirable or not, you can diagnose what your soil needs. I don't know if you've ever had that 'clay dirt' tested Rod, but it would be interesting to know what the levels were of Ca, Mg, Na, etc. I just got my soil samples back from Brookside Labs - which Dr. Albrecht helped start I believe...Doc Harris? - and my best patch of property is a 5 acre piece that grows nothng but clovers, DANDELIONS, and an unknown grass that's thick as hair on a dog. The kicker is that none of it was seeded, it just came in on its own after my Dad brushed it out 20 years ago. There was always big timber in there, and when he brushed and burnt it up, he never got around to seeding anything.
My point though, is that things grow for a reason, not b/c they're just there. What's growing is an indicator or symptom of unbalanced soil, which can only be understood with a sample and analysis.

As for your thistle gardens, why not try putting your salt blocks/oilers/mineral tubs in them? We moved our blocks and tubs into the buckbrush and spherge patches, and the cows trample everything 'til it looks like a roto-tiller went through. After you give it time to come back, the grass just takes over.

Latest posts