• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

GET OUT YOUR CRYSTAL BALL AGMAN

Help Support Ranchers.net:

How many of these 900,000 head of OTM,s do packers own out right or have total control over with this two bit shell game called"strategic Alliance'',I call this "captive supply" and I say test every damn one of them .....................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
How many of these 900,000 head of OTM,s do packers own out right or have total control over with this two bit shell game called"strategic Alliance'',I call this "captive supply" and I say test every damn one of them .....................good luck

Haymaker that 900,000 came from a phone survey done at random. about that time everybody was ready to cull the whole herd.

It was cold this morning and mohair woolies would have been real nice.

By the way what were you doing out in the corral full of goats in your underwear. :cowboy:

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:

Haymaker that 900,000 came from a phone survey done at random. about that time everybody was ready to cull the whole herd.

By the way what were you doing out in the corral full of goats in your underwear. :cowboy:

Nope it's 900,000 OTM's that are in canada looking for a home,and I believe packers own the majority of them :wink: ...........good luck PS way I see it I can believe a woolie wearing politician from big beaver or canadian statistics.

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:

Nope it's 900,000 OTM's that are in canada looking for a home,and I believe packers own the majority of them :wink: ...........good luck PS way I see it I can believe a woolie wearing politician from big beaver or canadian statistics.

Goatshaker you really believe Stats Canada must be why your a R-CALF memeber your gullible.

Oh yea you can add to the end of your signature "And Proud of it."

Thats an old story Haymaker, since it was written more plants are killing OTM cattle.

Many of those 900,000 estimated cattle(as at July 2004), are/ were old cows still in people's herds. They would cull them if they could get 50 cents but will try to get another calf if they can only get 20 cents. Another year passes and they are happy to get the 20 cents as many of these cows are dry.

Proof of supplies of older cows starting to fall is the price for them has advanced. They hit into the 40 cent range last week, and that brough a few more to town that were otherwise destined for another calf. That in turn has backed the price down this week to the 30 cent range.

The other thing that happens in places where we get winter is old cows will up and die. I bet lots disappeared that way.

With just over 300,000 head of young cattle having moved into the States, you can see the trucking issue will hold back these OTM, they are bigger so need more trucks for the same number of cattle.

The cattle industry is like a pond with ripples. One thing can affect many others.

Jason said:
Thats an old story Haymaker, since it was written more plants are killing OTM cattle.

Many of those 900,000 estimated cattle(as at July 2004), are/ were old cows still in people's herds. They would cull them if they could get 50 cents but will try to get another calf if they can only get 20 cents. Another year passes and they are happy to get the 20 cents as many of these cows are dry.

Proof of supplies of older cows starting to fall is the price for them has advanced. They hit into the 40 cent range last week, and that brough a few more to town that were otherwise destined for another calf. That in turn has backed the price down this week to the 30 cent range.

The other thing that happens in places where we get winter is old cows will up and die. I bet lots disappeared that way.

With just over 300,000 head of young cattle having moved into the States, you can see the trucking issue will hold back these OTM, they are bigger so need more trucks for the same number of cattle.

The cattle industry is like a pond with ripples. One thing can affect many others.

You're painting a pretty picture, but I believe we are talking about July 2005................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Jason said:

You're painting a pretty picture, but I believe we are talking about July 2005................good luck

There were more than 900,000 surplus OTM cattle across the country as of last July, according to Statistics Canada. While some of those will be processed by Canadian meat plants, aging animals will swell the national herd.

About 900,000 head as of July,waiting to go south ,was what I heard..................good luck
PS that's alot of breeding cattle

See the problem with reading between the lines Haymaker you go back and quote where you got the information and it doesn't match what you said. Where in the Canadian press write up does it say those animals were waiting to go south?????

And where does it say they are "breeding cattle'

Haymaker, you also forget that Mexico, wants a lot of our dairy cattle! Why can't we truck them "through"?

They have not been able to get them the last couple of years, because the US does not think that they can control the re-importation of them into the US.

I say, brand them with a big "CAN" and watch which ones are the last to leave the herd for slaughter!

How is this border closure affecting the dairy business in the US anyway?

Tam said:
HAY MAKER said:
Jason said:

There were more than 900,000 surplus OTM cattle across the country as of last July, according to Statistics Canada. While some of those will be processed by Canadian meat plants, aging animals will swell the national herd.

About 900,000 head as of July,waiting to go south ,was what I heard..................good luck
PS that's alot of breeding cattle

See the problem with reading between the lines Haymaker you go back and quote where you got the information and it doesn't match what you said.
Where in the Canadian press write up does it say those animals were waiting to go south?????

Yes I see what you mean LOL,now tell me where I stated my info source was this article.
looks like you are the one reading betweens lines as usual you and Mr Tam are half informed :wink: ................good luck

agman said:
HAY MAKER said:
And tell me when OTM cattle are crossing the border,and how it will effect the markets..................good luck

I do not know the answer to that question. But I do have serious reservations about OTM cattle. The science is not as clear as it is on UTM in my opinion. I have stated at meetings and to my clients I would oppose the importation of OTM's unless more evidence of safety is provided. Sorry that I did not get to your question sooner.

I am still waiting for Agman to explain his concerns about canadian OTM. I know Fedup thinks I am picking on Agman but Contrary to popular belief I question both side of a story.

BMR writes: "am still waiting for Agman to explain his concerns about canadian OTM. I know Fedup thinks I am picking on Agman but Contrary to popular belief I question both side of a story."
--------------------

When I thanked Agman for giving his honest opinion, (after he was burnt by both sides once before) you 'assumed' that I agreed with every word he said. No where did I write or say anything like that.

Now due to the fact that my post fell after yours, you 'assume' that I was pointing a finger at you. You 'assume' way to much BMR! I am not about to put a disclaimer on every sentence I write saying this does not imply that I agree or disagree, nor am I pointing at anyone in particular, I apologize for not being an expert, sorry for the stupid question, etc.! :shock:

As far as picking on Agman, he is a big boy and doesn't need me to protect him. As I stated before, giving an opinion without providing the reasoning behind that opinion means nothing! You have every right to ask about his reasoning. He can respond or ignore. His choice.

SH, in an earlier post asked me if I graduated from ref to sheriff. If I was a sheriff, after reading some of his responses, I would arrest him for being a public nuisance! :) And after your last posts 'assuming' everything I wrote, I would also be giving you a breathalizer test right now! :lol: (just good natured ribbing, please don't 'assume it was meant to be anything else!) :p

Big Muddy rancher said:
agman said:
HAY MAKER said:
And tell me when OTM cattle are crossing the border,and how it will effect the markets..................good luck

I do not know the answer to that question. But I do have serious reservations about OTM cattle. The science is not as clear as it is on UTM in my opinion. I have stated at meetings and to my clients I would oppose the importation of OTM's unless more evidence of safety is provided. Sorry that I did not get to your question sooner.

Yes agman I would also like to know what evidenve of safety you are talking about.
The US and Canada have the same rateing for risk from the OIE . Are you concerned that the US is not handleing SRM's as carefully as Canada?

This is where I first asked Agman his reason for saying what he said.

Fedup I'm getting fedup as well. I asked a resonable question and you take on the what ever role to keep butting in. I asked if you had a opinion and you said you didn't so let me ask Agman for his reason.

BMR: Writes: "Fedup I'm getting fedup as well. I asked a resonable question and you take on the what ever role to keep butting in. I asked if you had a opinion and you said you didn't so let me ask Agman for his reason. "

BMR, I guess we are even because I don't know what the hell you are talking about. I will answer this the way I'm being responded to. I took the time to post to Agman. Where in the forum rules does it state that I have to clear my posts with you before I post them? Where did I butt in?
I never wrote a post to you except to respond to you when you addressed me! How am I stopping you from asking Agman your question?
Reread the posts BMR, and tell me where I interferred with you in any way except to answer the questions you asked me! I am tired of this also so you can have the last word. Have a nice evening!

So Fedup I asked Agman for his reasoning for his honest reply. Something that I am sure that's what we get from Agman everytime.

You seemed to be chastising me for even questioning Agman .
Since you waded in on this thread I thought you might have a opinion. I asked you said you didn't so be it. I thought you felt left out.
I still would like to know Agmans reason for his thinking wouldn't you.
:cowboy:

Big Muddy rancher said:
So Fedup I asked Agman for his reasoning for his honest reply. Something that I am sure that's what we get from Agman everytime.

Since you waded in on this thread I thought you might have a opinion. I asked you said you didn't so be it. I thought you felt left out.

I have an opinion big dummie,there are alot of unknowns about "bse" and until these unkowns are more understood trade should be limited,its that simple ,now give it a rest .................good luck PS I believe Agmans post was plain enough.

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I have an opinion big dummie,there are alot of unknowns about "bse" and until these unkowns are more understood trade should be limited,its that simple ,now give it a rest .................good luck PS I believe Agmans post was plain enough.

So Haymaker do you agree with Dennis McDonald that the US shouldn't be processing OTM because you have BSE in your domestic herd?

Big Muddy rancher said:

The science is not quite as clear for OTM as it was for UTM. As such, I personally believe all OTM's should be tested until such time that all OTM's will have cleared the feed ban by at least two or three additional years. Additionally, all SRM's should be removed and disposed of. Finally, all product should be boneless through the aforementioned period.

Let's see what the USDA regulations are and see how thorough they are and the rationale behind their decision. I would be surprised if there was no comment period on the proposed regulations. Sorry that I did not get back to your question sooner.

agman said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

The science is not quite as clear for OTM as it was for UTM. As such, I personally believe all OTM's should be tested until such time that all OTM's will have cleared the feed ban by at least two or three additional years. Additionally, all SRM's should be removed and disposed of. Finally, all product should be boneless through the aforementioned period.

Let's see what the USDA regulations are and see how thorough they are and the rationale behind their decision. I would be surprised if there was no comment period on the proposed regulations. Sorry that I did not get back to your question sooner.

Thanks Agman, Don't worry I knew you would answer when you found the post. Some were worried I was picking on you but I knew you were a big boy.
I think the new rule will be well thought out and lots of comment and probably a court challenge by you know who. I still am not so sure about testing all as I see that as a huge bottle neck but all plants US and Canada need the stricest adherence to SRM removal.

agman wrote:

Testing all OTM's makes as much sense as anything you have said, in my opinion, agman. But........I have to disagree with you on the science being more clear on the UTM's than it is on the OTM's being that UTM's might be harboring prions within the animal itself but just haven't developed in the brain matter yet, where the samples are taken for testing. The distal ileum is the first gathering junction for prions in making there way to the brain, as far is known now...........................

Instead of gambling with our industry, spend a few more bucks to assure the public that beef is safe. Same with Japan and Korea.

Latest posts