• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Give an inch they take a mile

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
I lease different parcel's of land some I'm in charge of nothing other's quite abit.
This one parcel the owner lives in Denver so he leave's everything up to me as far as farming and HUNTING. Well last year I let some guy's hunt the parcel It was to be a father and son went there last year and was about 12 people hmmmmm. The gate's are all steel and kept locked I lent them my key's to put up a stand first thing they did was run to town and make some new key's next they cut down tree's and built a bunch of deer stand's (they were just going to put up a couple portables)well the land owner was'nt amused so I had to refrain from letting in hunter's now this group think's they own all right's to this land I have spent my evening on the phone listening to them whine cause they got no where to hunt when it was their action's that brought on the circumstances.Deer Hunting the sport where asshole's shine sure glad it's only 9 day's....

I hear you denny.
It's mule deer season here and I post for" hunting on foot only". That's retrieving as well as If you let them in to pick up a deer they just keep driving around hunting. The old "Give a inch Take a mile" routine. Most guys don't have a problem even tho it is big country they make sure it's a big buck if they have to pack it out. Well the biggest complainers are the locals. One fellow called the other night and when told of the rules said it was "OK for me to chase cattle across his land but not for him to hunt with a truck on my land." Well yes we did trail cattle 6 miles down the hiway and for half a mile instead of taking them right up a hill in the middle of the road we move them off to a wheat stubble field . His field so that justified his demands to hunt in his mind. This is the same fellow that has walked his cat across our pasture and his dad used to let his cows in our pasture for water and graze in the fall after we had our cattle out.

Guy comes down here from Mighigan to hunt. He is here most the whole early part of bow season and all of gun season.

He was given permission to hunt a small 30 acre section the past few years. Well, he took it upon him self to streach him and his 4 buddies across the whole 300+ acres this year. He was tought his lesson and I didn't have to say a word...

He walks out of the woods into the winter pasture where the cows are. He isn't supposed to be anywhere near the cattle. Anyhow, he is covered in fox urine, musta bought it in town. Couple old cows took after him like he was a yote. Then the horned herf bull shows up and the guy climbs in his truck and heads out, scared out of his mind. I noticed this morning when I went out with the gun to see where he was at that he was in his 30 acre "allowed" place and came in off the back side away from the cattle.

As a rancher and a hunter it pees me off when idiots ruin it for everybody-I'm surrounded by big time truck hunters-they drive my fencelines every morning. They were pissing and moaning the other day because I hunt on foot so they can't just shoot wherever. The sad part is they could get a monster deer if they'd just hunt their land that adjoins me right. I had three bucks from 150-175 walk right down my fenceline on their side within 15 feet of me one morning-just after their drive by lol. Geeze BMR if I ever hunt your place-I'll be quartering my deer out-not one for trying to drag mulies out of coulees.

Years ago we had so many deer on our irrigated meadows (when we lived in Wyoming). I mean like 500 came out every evening. We let the old and disabled hunt them but they weren't keeping up. So a family from Minnesota stopped and they wanted to hunt does for meat. We let them hook up to our electricity, park their camper, etc. We charged them $10 per person and let them hunt. My husband told them if they shot a buck it was going to cost them a lot of money because he guided hunters and they usually were after the big bucks. These people ASSURED us they wanted the meat. We trusted them to hunt the creek by themselves. They all filled out, paid us the $10 each and was on their way. The next day my husband went across the creek to check things out and he found a real mess. Wounded deer everywhere, a couple of dead bucks, just a real mess. I could not believe it when the next year they called up wanting to hunt again! I said, "I can't believe you have the gall to call here after what you did last year." He said, "what do you mean?" As I proceeded to tell him, he hung up on me. I think they didn't think we would know what they had done. GRRRRRR!!! I'm not very fond of hunters as a species!!!

Like I said it doesn't take many bad apples to spoil the barrel-my son and I and a couple friends we hunt with have permission pretty much any where we want because we hunt on foot and follow the game laws to a 'T'. It's actually kinda funny Ty shed hunts like crazy and we've got rrecord book sheds he's found but we never get around to hunting those deer cause we've got others closer to home. Faster Horses you hating all hunters would be like me hating every Montanian because of R-Calf and that wouldn't be right now would it lol.

Oh good, bad hunter stories, I have lots of them but here is a real winner. I had two kids come out to the house and ask if they could shoot a doe or two. I told them they could go down to the river place and shoot does only as there were way too many of them down there and they needed to be thinned out. Walk in only, no shooting from the road. they drove all over the fields shot anything that moved. Got a phone call from a neighbor down there wanting to know who had permission to be hunting and I told him, he wanted me to come down right away, his mare was gut shot. Went down there and started looking around at things. We found a doe shot and stuffed into a culvert, and a buck laying dead in the field, another buck on the side of the road and another neighbor found a buck laying in his field. Took us awhile, but when it was all said and done, we got the one kid for 21 deer, four antelope and tresspass on four ranches. His buddy who caved and ratted on him, got it for 17 deer. But this is a happy story, they can never have a hunting license for the rest of their lives, can never own a gun, they can never fish and if they are caught doing anything they are in prison for 20 years. The judge was in a very bad mood that day. We did not ever get them for the horse but we know they did it.

Wow, sw, that was a doozy of a story.

We had geese when we were in Wyoming, and they swam in the creek. Some hunters were crossing the creek in their Suburban and the geese were right there. They were mostly tame geese, but one wild goose had taken up with them and she could fly. Apparently, when they crossed, she took flight and they shot her and all the rest of them RIGHT FROM THE SUBURBAN.

Then to top it off, they took the geese to town and was showing them around when someone tipped them off that those were tame geese. So they went to the locker plant and the folks there verified they were tame. We found out about it, and they paid dearly for shooting all my geese.

IMAGINE! They didn't even get out of the vehicle. Still makes me mad to think of it.

I own a half section of river land that hunters beg to get into, my only rules are use respect and WALK.I'm a hunter,if I go on others land I use respect,thats what a TRUE hunter does.To be honest I've really never had a problam with anyone whos used my land,and asked for permission,a story like s.w wouldn't happen here tooo many fish cops hangin around come hunting season :!: And for that I'm grateful,if your gonna hunt follow the rules of the owner and the hunting laws.I only denied acsess once to a local guide I didn't trust... and would definatly deny acsess if anyone abused it.

we had a lot of trouble with road hunters, so the fish and game set up a robotic deer. two guys come down the road, lock up the brakes and start shooting. three shots later the deer is still standing, and the one is yelling to "get him" then the warden steps out from the blind on the other side of the road and tells them "he ain't going to die, so stop shooting"

took all the guns and a hefty fine, but the point was made.

they had the right to revoke hunting privilages for life and take the vehicle, but lucky for him ...he was a neighbor, so he was let off easy.

Probably 10-12 years ago, we had a ranch that was 40 miles N. of here that we summered on. During hunting season it was about impossible to regulate hunting up there, as we had our hands full on our home ranch. Some #ss$ole thought it would be funny to head shoot one of our cows with a low powered rifle. We managed to get the cow gathered up and hauled her off to a packing house another 100 miles south of here hoping they didn't condemn her. It was a bad gesture that took a lot of our time (and money).

Our antelope and deer herds are such that if we let anyone that asked to hunt on, that we still couldn't see a noticeable difference in the herds. A tough winter is about all that does much to thin them out. We have a lot of antelope that winter on us, and plenty that summer here too. This is a natural winter area for them I have been told, and I believe it. I am not against hunting either, but we do a lot more for them than they ever do for us. We don't charge either, but hunters look at you like a sheep eating coyote if you do charge for hunting. I think it is fine for those who charge, as it is a profit center for the ranch, and they run the state's game all year, so should get something for it. Everyone doesn't have the time to do it though.

Hunting season used to be my favorite time of the year, still get excited but so many of these not nice people make it a pain in the neck. I'm excited for the daughter though as this is her first year and she is an Annie Oakley. Here's another good story. Three years ago, I had two guys from Minnesota come out here and ask to hunt. They said they have been here before and hunted on another guys place upriver from our place. I had them fill out the FWP permission slips, told them the rules, walk in only, does only, let me know what you shoot. Got a call from the game warden about 11 oclock wanting to know who had permission. He could see the permission slips on their dash after I told him but he said he was going to hang around for awhile and see what they were doing. He callled me that night. What they were doing come to find out was shooting a deer, boning it out on the spot, putting it in coolers in their camper, and then going back out to shoot another one, while never tagging any of them because there was no deer carcass to put it on. We found 5 deer gut piles and bones and one deer stuffed under a downfall tree. These Einsteins thought we were that stupid that they could get away with it. Why drive 1200 miles to poach mule deer when they could hunt in their own state? We checked it out, the reason that they could not hunt on the guys place upriver was they got caught doing the same thing 5 years before, this was their first year of hunting since their license suspension and they did it again. They could not hunt in their home state for the same reason. Now they can't hunt anywhere. Guess I get all of the real jim dandies out here and have to take them out for the rest of you! BTW, our warden used to play defensive end for the Grizzlies, he is 6'5" and has kind of an intimidating look about him so sometimes these guys doing the bad stuff roll over real easy :!:

We used to have 2 wardens that rode horse so we were covered pretty well for mule deer season. One transfered out and the other has retired so we don't see much help thatway anymore. The retired one does come to help with fall gather .

I had a feller walk into the house one day during hunting season. He asked if I could go down south and pull his pickup out of a draw he was stuck in. We hop in my pickup and head south. Find his pickup and his buddy. Stuck deep in drifted packed frozen snow. In my pasture!

I pull him out and ask why he was hunting on my land. "Oh we though it belonged to so and so". I told him it didn't and he hopped in and took off. Never even said thanks. That and a whole bunch of other stories I could relate about gut shooting, worthles sob's is why it is easy to deny hyunters. For every good one, there must be at least 100 poor ones! I'd rather put up with the deer.

As for fee hunting, I have stated to many hunters that if they want to come hunt, they pay me per hour what they make per hour and I'll do my best to find them the deer they want. They all claim that that would be real fair, but so far, none have taken me up on the offer. Pretty typical. Why pay when you can drive over some other poor fool for free. Too many think hunting is a right instead of a priveledge.

And I have never denied any hunter who just wanted does. But most want horns. Even itty bitty tiny ones! :lol:

Yes, I hear you. Give the hunters a priviledge and talk about take advantage of a person! Not to say there are still a few good genuine hunters out there,but lots of no good ones too. Last yr. during pheasant season(which open next Sat.) a supposed friend wanted to hunt withhis son in law--well ok saw them and there were 4 vehicals and 12 guys-so that went over really well-no hunting this year. One hunter asked when we would have fall prs. out to one section - before or after deer season-yea we are going to move cattle for the hunter benefit-I DO NOT THINK SO! THen we tell them they will have to walk in certain areas due to starting fires-well this cuts a few out. I love this time of year -rounding up cattle,the beautiful scenery,ect. but the hunters make it miserable sometimes.

When we lived southeast of Valentine, next to a wildlife refuge , you can get the dumbest city people for hunting....like the one from Omaha, who just had to buy that brand new butterfly knife and tried to flip it around, he didn't know when he was doing and cut off the end of he little finger, then he wrapped a hanky around it and called it a scratch . He said that it would stop bleeding , when he and his 2 buddied took off walking. Withing 10 min. they were seen carrying him back and they took off for the hospital. They never came back, duh. Or how about the hunter who wanted to "pet" a weaned calf, and got more then he wanted.. For she was a tame heifer who slimed him good when he went to give her a peice of cotton-seed cake, she even sucked his hand into her mouth!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: He was so pee-ood, it was funny, we did set him up on that one. The guy was from Florida and had pulled something on my hubby the year before. he,he,he.

I really enjoyed reading all the stories!!! I wish hunters would respect the landowners rights. We need hunters to keep the wild game population from exploding but I'm ready to not permit any more hunting on our ground. I request no vehicles but that hasn't worked either. I was combining the other day and a pickup drove the length of the end rows to ask me if he could hunt. All he had to do was park on the shoulder of the road and walk 100 feet to me but he drove a quarter mile along the field. I told him he could hunt but no driving in the fields. He looked at me like "duh". I would have felt very stupid if I had just driven on someone's land and the owner told me no driving, an apology would have been offered. He just drove away. I did enjoy the geese. There were hunters set up for the geese to fly over, but the geese were smart and landed in my field less than a 1/4 mile from them. They weren't afraid of my tractor. I kept doing my work and got very close to them before they finally flew away.

feeder said:
We need hunters to keep the wild game population from exploding but I'm ready to not permit any more hunting on our ground.

I don't need hunters to control wildlife on my property. Like praire dogs. I can and do do it myself. Just wish all wildlife were treated the same. Then it wouldn't be illegal to cut down the deer numbers, if I didn't want to put up with slob hunters.

Latest posts