• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Glad I did not over seed hay fields with Rye grass.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score
Some of the guys around me over seeded their Bermuda Grass hay fields with Rye Grass last fall hopping for an early cutting this spring. A mild winter with plenty of rain has made some of the best-looking fields of rye grass I have seen in years. The only trouble is they can't get the weather to cut it. They should have cut two weeks ago and now it has gone to seed and been blown over. Although it would still make good hay if cut toady I don't see them getting it dry. Rain today and rain forecast every 3 days for the near future. The ground is saturated and with cool temps I dought if they will get in for several weeks to come. I suspect this will cause damage to the underlying summer grass and will surely delay its growth.
I bush hogged the scattered wild cheat and rye grass that comes up every year yesterday and got my fertilizer out. I put out 16-12-22 at 400 pounds to the acre at a cost of $285 a ton. And with fuel costing $2.00, a gallon I am going to have to go up on my 5 x 5 rolls from $25 to $30 a roll just to cover cost. I guess I get to cut hay for free this year. At least cover the cost to feed hay to my cows for the winter.

Alabama said:
Some of the guys around me over seeded their Bermuda Grass hay fields with Rye Grass last fall hopping for an early cutting this spring. A mild winter with plenty of rain has made some of the best-looking fields of rye grass I have seen in years. The only trouble is they can't get the weather to cut it. They should have cut two weeks ago and now it has gone to seed and been blown over. Although it would still make good hay if cut toady I don't see them getting it dry. Rain today and rain forecast every 3 days for the near future. The ground is saturated and with cool temps I dought if they will get in for several weeks to come. I suspect this will cause damage to the underlying summer grass and will surely delay its growth.
I bush hogged the scattered wild cheat and rye grass that comes up every year yesterday and got my fertilizer out. I put out 16-12-22 at 400 pounds to the acre at a cost of $285 a ton. And with fuel costing $2.00, a gallon I am going to have to go up on my 5 x 5 rolls from $25 to $30 a roll just to cover cost. I guess I get to cut hay for free this year. At least cover the cost to feed hay to my cows for the winter.

Alabama if you are puttin 400lbs of 16-12-22 to the acre and gonna sell 5x5s for $30,I wish you were my neighbor,I would just buy from you and stay on the front porch............good luckPS that dont leave a lot for equipment costs much less labor.

Haymaker, The Montgomery (Alabama) Water and Sewer Board (owned by a big conglomerate) sells 5 X 5's for $18 a roll and have thousands of acres and free fertilizer (sewage sludge). They have had hay prices suppressed for many years around here. I would not feed it but a hell of a lot of them do.
Only reason I put up my own is because I know what I'm getting. I'll have approx. $40 in a 1200 lb. - 6 X 6 roll, not counting labor and equipment costs. I could buy it cheaper but.............................

Mike said:
Haymaker, The Montgomery (Alabama) Water and Sewer Board (owned by a big conglomerate) sells 5 X 5's for $18 a roll and have thousands of acres and free fertilizer (sewage sludge). They have had hay prices suppressed for many years around here. I would not feed it but a hell of a lot of them do.
Only reason I put up my own is because I know what I'm getting. I'll have approx. $40 in a 1200 lb. - 6 X 6 roll, not counting labor and equipment costs. I could buy it cheaper but.............................

IM Damn glad I dont have some one like the waste water treatment board around here putting hay up that cheap.Fertilizer costs are sky rocketing diesel is thru the roof and sippin whiskey is outrageous,this keeps up and ILL go broke,unless I can talk one of those canadian hussies to come down here and work cheap,maybe she'll bring some whiskey ,sit on the front porch after sun down cussin packers lol.............good luck

Texas?!? In the summer time?!? Hell, no!!! I don't think you could sweet talk any of us into coming down there! :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
Alabama said:

Alabama if you are puttin 400lbs of 16-12-22 to the acre and gonna sell 5x5s for $30,I wish you were my neighbor,I would just buy from you and stay on the front porch............good luckPS that dont leave a lot for equipment costs much less labor.
=============

Alabama,

Is the 400 a typo? Surely no condition could be prevelant requireing that amount of ferterlizer!

LOL on being your neighbor... Any room there?

Peston if you do the numbers ALABAMA is putting out 16% of 400lbs =64lbs actual nitrogen to the acre thats pretty common................good luck PS there is some room around here but you better hurry Damn city folks,bycycle riders are every where.I can barely move equipment and hay down the roads around here.

Shelly said:
Texas?!? In the summer time?!? Hell, no!!! I don't think you could sweet talk any of us into coming down there! :wink:

Since when is a hard working girl like you been scared of a lil Texas sun?You come down here and get slim and trim working in these TX hay fields and a tan to boot ,just think of all the fun me and you would have after work skinny dippin in that creek,crystal clear spring water pure enough to mix with whiskey.LOL..............good luck

I'll take this texas heat anyyyy day compared to ya'lls freezin long winters......plus..we git 9 month growin season, sometimes more haha cuz we all know some years in texas all we git is "christmas" n no winter at all. And HayMaker is right...out in the field on a tractor is a great place to git a tan. hehe

HAY MAKER said:
Shelly said:

Since when is a hard working girl like you been scared of a lil Texas sun?You come down here and get slim and trim working in these TX hay fields and a tan to boot ,just think of all the fun me and you would have after work skinny dippin in that creek,crystal clear spring water pure enough to mix with whiskey.LOL..............good luck

I'm already slim and trim, I can get a tan up here too, I can't swim, and WHAT would you wife think??? :wink:

Shelly said:
HAY MAKER said:
Shelly said:

I'm already slim and trim, I can get a tan up here too, I can't swim, and WHAT would you wife think??? :wink:

she would probaly say take him get him out of my hair.Well thats what my wife would say...

No. the 400 # is no typo. 64# of N is still less than recomended. Auburn recomends 100# of N in the spring and then another 100# at mid season. they also recomended 240# K. I only put out 88# but that was all I could afford. At mid season, if we get rain, I will put out another 60# of N and as much K as I can afford. I hope to get 2 to 3 rolls per acer on each of 4 cuttings. That workes out to 10 rolls per acre. With good rain and some dry spells to get it cut I should be able to cover cost and cover my hay needs.

Alabama said:

Why not wrap the Rye for Haylage and sell it in you 500-600 LBS calves at the tune of $1.10-1.40 per LB. McHale bale wrappers
991bfront.jpg

Banner%2002.gif

Latest posts