• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Goodlatte(HC) levels harsh words for BSE testing FOR PACKERS

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PORKER

Reaction score
Goodlatte levels harsh words at BSE testing critics

Agriculture Online Story clip

6/27/2005, 4:54 PM CDT

There were harsh words for critics of USDA's BSE testing scheme today from the Chair of the House Agriculture Committee. "I would discourage the grandstanding that has led some people to make inaccurate and groundless assertions about the threat of mad cow disease and the ability of USDA to guarantee the safety of the nation's food supply," Chairman Bob Goodlatte said in a statement.

Sandhusker said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Sandhusker did you not read the part about "Inaccurate and groundless"

Fine. What has R-CALF said that was inaccurate and groundless?

If you need me to tell you , you would not believe me anyways. Just read some posts. Oh what about "GENUINE RISK OF DEATH" from eating Canadian beef.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Sandhusker said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Sandhusker did you not read the part about "Inaccurate and groundless"

If you need me to tell you , you would not believe me anyways. Just read some posts. Oh what about "GENUINE RISK OF DEATH" from eating Canadian beef.

If there is no risk of death from BSE, why isn't most of the world taking your beef? If there is no risk of death, why isn't CANADA taking beef from England, France, Italy, etc....?

Head-in-the-Sand-husker.... that's funny. Not really laughing at your expense Sandhusker, but that was funny! So is your statement about what has R-calf ever said that lacked credibility. I'm not sure either why we "aren't" takeing beef from England, France, Italy, etc. either but I will venture out on a limb by saying ain't no one selling the cattle that make the beef as cheaply as we are these days! We even got Brazil beat for the worlds cheapest cows! Probably ain't cost feasible to buy beef from other countries when the packers can get 'em right here for nothing! Have a good day all and thanks for reading from Canada!

Sandhusker said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Sandhusker said:

If there is no risk of death from BSE, why isn't most of the world taking your beef? If there is no risk of death, why isn't CANADA taking beef from England, France, Italy, etc....?

Quite abit of the world is taking some beef from us. I think it is around 40 countries. How many import US beef now? Just like oil we also export beef. Do you have a problem with that. We just have more beef then we can process at the moment and R-CALF is tieing the USDA's hands with the court system . I can see with the new OIE rules being adopted the counties that meet the requirements will be able to export post BSE but only if the meet those requirements.
Didn't R-Calf say that US producers should not sell cattle over 20 months if BSE is found in the US?

You'll have to excuse Sandhusker and co.; they've swallowed a fatal dose of R-cult "lemonade" and they're desperately trying to maintain their flawed position before their organization implodes :!: :!:

Big Muddy: "...R-CALF is tieing the USDA's hands with the court system ."

The Law is tying the USDA's hands...R-CALF is using the court system to make sure that USDA follows the law. R-CALF has no power to close the border...the border is closed because of laws.

You side stepped Sandhusker's question...If Canada isn't taking beef and cattle from other countries with confirmed BSE cases, why should you demand that the USA take your beef and cattle? Or why should Canada take USA beef and cattle?

To answer a question you posed earlier...I think the export of all cattle, beef, and beef by-products from countries with confirmed BSE should stop except for tested products until we get our hands around the throat of this BSE problem.

You side stepped Sandhusker's question...If Canada isn't taking beef and cattle from other countries with confirmed BSE cases, why should you demand that the USA take your beef and cattle? Or why should Canada take USA beef and cattle?

The Canadian border is open to US beef and cattle and you've found two cases of BSE so far so we are accepting cattle from some countries that have confirmed cases of BSE. Our borders were actually less restricted before we aligned our import requirements with the US and Mexico at the US's request.

The Canadian border is open to US beef and cattle and you've found two cases of BSE so far so we are accepting cattle from some countries that have confirmed cases of BSE. Our borders were actually less restricted before we aligned our import requirements with the US and Mexico at the US's request

We are also following the recomendations of the OIE, that trade should not be limited with a country with minimal risk. The countries we are not trading with fall into the higher categories of risk.

RobertMac said:
Big Muddy: "...R-CALF is tieing the USDA's hands with the court system ."

The Law is tying the USDA's hands...R-CALF is using the court system to make sure that USDA follows the law. R-CALF has no power to close the border...the border is closed because of laws.

To answer a question you posed earlier...I think the export of all cattle, beef, and beef by-products from countries with confirmed BSE should stop except for tested products until we get our hands around the throat of this BSE problem.

Using whos testing system? The US's, looks to me as if maybe that could be a problem for other countries to swallow right now. As it took how many times at bat for the USDA to find this postive Texas cow? And I can ask you the same thing RobertMac why is the US threatening Japan with trade sanctions on behalf of the US beef industry when they aren't taking beef from a country that is in the same minimal risk catagory as you are. And I may add has a transparent handling of the BSE problem in this country unlike the hinding of the truth the US beef industry has been doing?

One more thing RobertMac you said
To answer a question you posed earlier...I think the export of all cattle, beef, and beef by-products from countries with confirmed BSE should stop except for tested products until we get our hands around the throat of this BSE problem
. If the Beef is not safe to export without a test then what about the poor domestic consumer should he/she stop eatting beef too? It has been said by the OIE and other experts that the test itself is not for food safety the removal of the SRM's is for food safety. So you are willing to lose all your export markets for a test that the rest of the world feels is not for food safety and can be wrong repeatly as the US just proved.

Tam said:
One more thing RobertMac you said
To answer a question you posed earlier...I think the export of all cattle, beef, and beef by-products from countries with confirmed BSE should stop except for tested products until we get our hands around the throat of this BSE problem
. If the Beef is not safe to export without a test then what about the poor domestic consumer should he/she stop eatting beef too? It has been said by the OIE and other experts that the test itself is not for food safety the removal of the SRM's is for food safety. So you are willing to lose all your export markets for a test that the rest of the world feels is not for food safety and can be wrong repeatly as the US just proved.

Tam, Testing is a "Food Safety" factor in Europe and treat it as such. Many countries test everything 24 months and over. Up until just recently everything over 30 months in England was incinerated. Read Prusiner's brief to the court - he said SRM removal is insufficient without testing. If HE is not an expert......nobody is.
Tell the Japs testing is not about food safety.

Mike, are you sure of this, I read that now the UK is only testing animals that are over 30 months?

Latest posts