• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

gotta brag a little

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Chuckie

Reaction score
but not much. this is my pride and joy (other than the kids, and he's a LOT easier to train). for those who've known me for a year or 2, and new ppl i'm not aquainted with so much yet.

come on over and meet him, AKA, Brix:

2339071446_7c51292797.jpg

and then there's this:

2319923414_5977b68bd6.jpg

and last, the goof-ball:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2353/2319923414_5977b68bd6.jpg
2319113075_7ae0bd70be.jpg

he's pretty much good for working livestock (need a bit more control on him), he doesn't work close, pushing chutes, etc., but he's not "skeered" of anything. big balls (he thinks :) ). damn good dog...

Big Muddy rancher said:
My Brix but what big ears you have. :D

Sharp lookin' dog :)

BMR, i was hoping those frickin' ears would help him hear me better--and they do!! he's probably the 2nd smartest dog i've ever had (and the first was a GSDxRottie). which is a challenge in itself :?

no one messes around out here, that's for sure :) when the telephone co man came out last summer to install hi-speed internet (yay!), he called ahead about the dogs cause he'd heard i had a couple of big ones out here. i just told him to come on out--they wouldn't bite him hard :) the GSD sniffed him, then laid down RIGHT behind the chair--phone co man wasn't movin' w/out Brix knowing about it.

anyway, it's good to be back and "see" old friends and make some new ones :)

oh-gcreekrch--GSD just have a different kind of genetic herding style, called "boundary" or "tending" : they'll keep the herd in a specified area by working the boundaries, if an animal tries to cross the boundary, they're put back in place, if everyone cooperates, the dog just trots the line(s) all day. a short/sweet version of their work, anyway!

One of the best cattle dogs we ever had was a GS. He was raised in town and on a chain to boot. A hunter from Ohio brought him to us and he was a mess mentally. Mr. FH loves dogs and he turned this dog loose, cuz he can't stand to confine one (right or wrong, HE just can't stand it). The dog ran steady for a day and never quit. When he finally came back and laid down, he was a different dog. And he turned out to be amazing with cattle.

What a fine handsome dog he is! 8) 8) 8) 8)

My GSD Zelda was a wonderful cattle dog, and we miss her a lot. It's very true about the tending style that they have too. Boy, nothing gets out of the gate! They have a very strong sense of "everything in it's place". :D :D :D

New puppy Elsa shows the same potential. Just like Brix, she's so smart it's a little scary. Keeping me on my toes, that's for sure. Once we survive puppyhood, I'm sure we'll have another good cattle dog.

With Zelda, and Elsa too, we started out with a lot of leash work, especially in the corral. It's the only way to develop a good set of brakes! Once the voice commands were solid, then the leash came off. Working groups was her strong point, and she loved to empty a pen. It was amazing how, as soon as the last animal walked through the gate, it was like you turned off a switch. She came for a pat, and walked away. You could even make her walk slower just by telling her from way across the pen. It was fascinating to watch. She'd walk slower and slower until she was at the right speed for the moment. My husband couldn't believe it.

In the beginning he didn't think Zelda would ever make a cattle dog, but we proved him wrong in a big way. He's not so skeptical with Elsa, having seen how it worked out once before. 8)

hey Chuckie...

just had to comment about the herding instinct of the german breeds after you mentioned the rottiex.
most folks don't realize that Rottweillers were a herding dog in Roman times.The most willing dog I ever trained was a Rottie and the last one would lay at an open gate for days and not let anything out...

its a site watching a 140lb dog herd at a walk using pressure...

German Shephards always get my attention...I used to get to be the "guinea pig/bad guy" when the Air Policemen trained or worked their Security/Attack dogs- which were all Shephards...Wear an arm mitt- or dress up in an attack suit and let them hit you, bite you, and drag you around.....Those are some powerful animals- and could blow my 200+ lbs off my feet like nothing to it....You could feel the jaw power right thru the padding...

And I don't think there was a handler that didn't have a scar or two from an overly ambitous dog getting in an extra nip...But with the Police dogs they could take home when not working and the kids could crawl all over it and it was the gentlest/friendliest things there was....

Brix is a real good looking dog. My shepherd Theda would certainly enjoy meeting him.

Theda has a strong herding instinct.

(I couldn't figure out how to put her picture on this site. It uploaded to the photo gallery.)

He's a beautiful boy Chuckie. Its been quite few years since I've had a GS dog. The ones I've had have been great. :D
I have a Belgian Shepherd now. I'm in the process of adopting another Belgian. :D

kato-i've seen pics of your GSD--a beautiful dog! and you're right: a long line initially for training is the best way to go. you HAVE to have the recall and the "down".

will you post pics of the baby? or have you and i just haven't seen them?

OT--i'm on a forum that includes a couple of ppl that worked MWD in europe before the "Wall" came down--the tracking problems they threw at those dogs were TOUGH--downded (sp?) planes, running aviators, etc.

you had it easy just catching them on bites! :) :)

oh-for the questions re: corgi hair-coats and shedding: just as well get a real dog, ie, GSD, they shed no more than a corgi, have longer legs, can go a mile or two further on 'em...imean, if you have to put up with the hair, might as well have the dog to go with it :) :)

This is Elsa. This one was taken a few weeks ago. She's a lot bigger now, but still working on that left ear! I've got new pictures in the camera, and will post something more current as soon as I get the camera in the same room as the computer. :D :D :D

We start obedience classes next week. That should be a hoot. She's got a pretty short puppy style attention span at the moment. I'm thinking a long sit, stay, or anything is going to be a challenge. :D :D She's smart as can be though, so maybe we'll make it.

elsasears10weeksold.jpg

at her age a "long" anything be a LOT to ask! what is she, about 5 mo old now? don't be surprised if her ears go up and down while she's teething...

she is a gorgeous girl, BTW :) :) didn't you have an older GSD? that's what i was thinking when i mentioned i remembered seeing pics in the past...

and yeah--update the pics, already!!!

Finally found the pics of GS I had 10yrs or so back. He was a stout fellow...from Czechoslovakia...all his commands were in Czech. As gentle as could be...until a command to be different was given...you would of appreciated this fellow OT....he was awesome on bite work and building searches.

flik2_thumb.jpg

flik_thumb.jpg

You can see he's sharp just by the expression on his face. Nice dog!

The European GS dogs are good working dogs. In order to qualify to breed as papered dogs, they have to actually do something besides look pretty. 8) Obedience, plus either Schutzhound or herding. They're bred more like the way border collies are bred here, with intelligence being a priority.

just be aware that the showline GSD in europe that "pass" the bitework phase of the koerung (Schutzhund) often don't show what "working" ppl consider adequate drive or good grips. so just because a dog has a SCH 3 from europe doesn't mean it's a good working dog. and the europeans do NOT sell their best dogs to the US.

tta-now that's a good looking czech dog!! my next GSD is hopefully going to be a black sable like your boy-LOVE that color!

Latest posts