• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grass Cost!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Dealing on some pasture want to rent it on a cost per lb of gain basis-what are people charging and paying this year-it's irrigated pasture.

Northern Rancher said:
Dealing on some pasture want to rent it on a cost per lb of gain basis-what are people charging and paying this year-it's irrigated pasture.

Down here stockers get paid .35 to .40lb/ gained. Hard to get more than 2 lbs day gain in this heat and humidity. On irrigated land where it's cooler you might get 3-4. Might.

About ten years ago, we rented some grass for yearlings at $10/head. If you do the math of $.35/lb on the gain, at two pounds per day you are paying $21/month. I always liked the idea of paying on the gain, but I think I'll find someone willing to go by the head.

Talked to a lady on some pasture for pairs. I told her I thought $15/ pair a month was good. She said they had been told they cold get 50 cents a day. I said I was glad we could be in agreement and got silence. It took her awhile to do the math, lol

PPRM

PPRM: "Talked to a lady on some pasture for pairs. I told her I thought $15/ pair a month was good. She said they had been told they cold get 50 cents a day. I said I was glad we could be in agreement and got silence. It took her awhile to do the math, lol"

Kinda reminds me of a tool auction I was at about forty years ago. The auctioneer was begging for 75 cents on a pair of pliers without success. He changed his approach and said, "Well, who will give me a dollar and half for two pairs of pliers?" Immediately a bidder's hand shot into the air, and I'm proud to say it wasn't mine. :)

As far as summer pasture goes, I re-negotiated my pasture leases for the same price I paid for the past two years. It is again costing me a dollar per pair per day. The bulls cost the same money.

Ours in non-irrigated. We are getting $16 per/head/month. If the gain is like the past several years, they will gain an average of 2 to 2.5 pouinds a day, depending on quality of cattle.

Steers seem to gain better than spayed heifers or heifers that are gettng bred.

Went on the gain for several years to establish what they were gaining, but it's more time consuming weighing in and out as we don't have scales here and have to truck 20 miles or more to cattle scalles and 15 to truck scales. So this year, just by the hd/month.

I was advised that I could have found yearlings at 20 per/head/month, but I know who I am dealing with and I know that their checks are good and they won't try to pull a fast one on me and leave early and leave me with unused grass that I have to try and sell to someone else.

If I ran pairs, I would have to get $ 30 a month to make it come out the same as yearlings. And I prefer yearlings.

I had a young feller come and wanted me to take 200 plus pairs and he told me he would pay a lot. When I told him I was full, but if I wasn't he would have to pay $30 a month, he never batted an eye, but he did turn kind'a green in the face! :D

I guess I am getting a good price on the land I rent. I pay so much a year for the pasture. I can do with it what I want such as run cows or cut for hay. I do both when I have plenty of rain. I keep my older pairs on it and was just figuring that I am paying about $3.40 a pair a month. I could run more but in dry years, I would have cull. So I just cut it for hay in the fall to clean it up. I thought the price was high but I see now that I am lucky. The normal rate around me is about $10 to $15 an acre per year. Two acres will raise a pair most of the time.

Latest posts