• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ground tieing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Muratic

Reaction score
I have, it seems, allowed my 5 yr old gelding to get away with something bad. He will no longer ground tie. It is a nusience for me, most times I'm not anywhere that he can be tied when I dismount.

Any suggestions for re-training him to ground tie?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I would use a refresher course, with real stout reins and an anchor of some sort. Set up your tie off when he isn't looking, and stop and get off by coincidence there.
May or not work, but I'll bet it won't hurt anything. Or else start hobble training. There's probably 50 or so ideas on RFD-Tv, I'm not sure as I don't watch that much.
Be prepared for some better suggestions.

Thanks Haytrucker, I'll give it a try

only get 3 channels here...RFD-TV isn't an option :(

I really feel inferior, if you live out of sattelite range.
I'll tell you straight up, every horse is different, obviuosly, but I "like" the sound of of the theory, even if I repeated it from somewhere.
It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on this bronc; I'd bet you can break him to tie again real quick.
Where are you from Muratic?

Haytrucker said:
I really feel inferior, if you live out of sattelite range.

Where are you from Muratic?

No need for that, now. I'm probably a lot closer to town than most you folks.
Country is kinda rough and we set in a draw. So for the satalite to work bettern the antenne it would have to be set pretty far away from the house. Besides, other than CSI, what is there to watch? And I reckon I'm just too cheap to pay for the satalite anyhow.
When I have time the computer is on, not the tv.

Geez Muratic a bunch of us put our faces on the net for all to poke fun at and you can't even tells us what area you from. What's took you so long to start posting you have been a member since the new board started and you have just started posting. What's with that. :roll: :cowboy:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Geez Muratic a bunch of us put our faces on the net for all to poke fun at and you can't even tells us what area you from. What's took you so long to start posting you have been a member since the new board started and you have just started posting. What's with that. :roll: :cowboy:

Well Big Muddy, I've just been lurking. Been around since way before the new format. Guess I just got a burrdock up my butt and decided to start talking. How bout a quick picture of a piece of my place, will that ease the eye rolling for a little? Most of my southern friends lke to call me a yankee.
RHcalves014.jpg

RHcalves013.jpg

katrina said:
Nice pictures and it's green!!!!!
Thanks,
Pretty good sized creek that runs thru that holler. But, that was a July picture. Was starting to get dry then. Got real dry reat fast after that.

I'll see if I can get ya'll a picture of me and my troublesome gelding. That way Big Muddy won't be mad at me anymore. :oops:

katrina said:
Always like seeing the pictures and don't worry about Big Muddy .. :wink:

katrina--Where is your picture? I have a hard time visualizing you past your monkey face........ :lol: :lol:

Ot, I was going to take some pictures of packing silage and since that is a disaster, just put some gray hair on that monkey and that's me.. I do like jokes, and laughter is good for what ails you...We have a digital camera, so maybe I can get some pictures on... :lol: :lol:

Your hair can't be getting any grayer than mine- Saturday morning I broke a u joint on the sickle pitman on the swather- no parts til Tues if they have them :???: Then combined flax- still too green- the last inch of rain means we may be combining in Oct.- then yesterday the igniton switch (?) on the old Dodge feed truck went to a hit and miss operation on whether it will work.....I'm afraid to touch any machinery or do anything until the weekend is over- nothing going right-- shouldn't even probably be around the computer- It may blow up :wink: :lol:

Good luck with your tractor- because I know the feeling :(

Muratic said:
katrina said:
Nice pictures and it's green!!!!!
Thanks,
Pretty good sized creek that runs thru that holler. But, that was a July picture. Was starting to get dry then. Got real dry reat fast after that.

I'll see if I can get ya'll a picture of me and my troublesome gelding. That way Big Muddy won't be mad at me anymore. :oops:

Great Pics. Real pretty country where ever it is. :? I'm not mad just like to see different country and find out where people are from as i find it interesting to hear from different areas and how things are done. :cowboy:

OK Big Muddy. Here it is. I'm not very photogenic This was taken in early march just before we rode out to gather the cattle to AI. Seems I carry a good bit of extra flesh comming off winter pasture. Mr. Muratic says I look good in the saddle, It is just the parts that hang off the side he don't care for.

This is the horse that refuses to ground tie, Rebel.
Bottom pic is the other half's horse and his brand spankin' new circle Y. He doesn't ride much but I'm not allowed ot use the saddle. :cry:
I like the old hereford anyhow.
Enjoy and don't poke too much fun at me. I'm still not telling where I at though. :p
IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

what's to poke fun at? Good lookin outfit. Nice trailer, horses ,saddles and rider. Pretty country. I would say your quite abit farther south then I am as we don't green up until late April usually. I live north of you and my wife gets called a Yankee. :cowboy:

Any feller who don't like the looks of that lady...............well, he sure ain't too sharp!

I have no idea how to train a horse to ground tie in the first place, so have no advice to give on how to re-train. Looks like you got lots of trees to tie to. I'd sure have one trained to hobble.

I ride with a maecate a lot and it lets you have a get down rope that goes under your belt which leaves your hands free to doctor or tag a calf. if I need to leave a horse for a spell, I hobble them. If you keep 'em hingry enough, and there is grass to graze, they seem to stay pretty good! :shock: :eek: :lol:

Or if you chase something as far as I do, when your tryin' to rope one, he's usually tired enough to stick around! :lol:

Good luck with the trainin' and let us kn ow how it turns out. :)

Nice outfit!!

I'm going to try to guess where you live. The 'holler' that you mentioned is a little of a give-away. My first guess would be Tennessee.

How'd I do?

BTW, does your back cinch have a hobble strap to the front cinch? It looks like it might be a little 'fur back' and I'd hate for you to have a bucking strap someday, because you didn't have a hobble strap in place. Just a thought.

Latest posts