• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Guess Agman was right!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Murgen

Reaction score
BEEF NEWS
U.S. beef sells out in one day in Japan

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12211

The Japanese seem to be scrambling to get their hands on it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Agman has been correct far more times than his peanut gallery of detractors on this site and here we see it once again.

They sold 5 tons and that means the Japanese are scrambling to get it? :lol: :lol:

Recent public polls have showed the majority of Japanese consumers are planning to stay away from U.S. beef, and major restaurants and supermarkets have said they have no immediate plans to sell it.

Sandhusker, do you have a copy or link to these polls, or is it just the media again trying to start a controversy?

Or maybe a trade organization against free trade? There seems to be some of that going around too.

Murgen said:
Sandhusker, do you have a copy or link to these polls, or is it just the media again trying to start a controversy?

Or maybe a trade organization against free trade? There seems to be some of that going around too.

Most of them are from Japanese newspapers. Considering all that has transpired, I don't know why anyone would doubt their findings.

What trade organizations are against free trade?

Hign Plains Journal

Survey: 63% of Japanese against U.S. beef deal

TOKYO (AP)--More than 60 percent of Japanese say they don't want to eat U.S. beef because of bovine spongiform encephalopahty fears, even as Tokyo considers lifting a ban on U.S. imports, a Japanese newspaper survey said Oct. 27.

U.S. and Japanese negotiators agreed over the weekend to ease a 10-month-old ban on U.S. beef exports to Japan, a deal that will reopen the U.S. beef industry's biggest overseas market to at least some products.

But the survey by the Asahi newspaper, a major daily, showed many Japanese disapprove of the pact because it allows beef from U.S. cows who are less than 20 months old to be imported without being tested for BSE.

Sixty-three percent surveyed opposed the agreement with the U.S. and 26 percent approved, it said.

Japan prohibited all U.S. beef from entering its market in December, after the discovery of a case of BSE in Washington state.

Tokyo had been demanding that the U.S. test all cattle for the bovine illness, matching a safety standard adopted in Japan. The government relented after studies showed the illness wasn't detectable in cows under 20 months.

The Asahi also found that 63 percent of those polled said they "didn't want to eat" U.S. beef, while 28 percent said they did.

Men were more open to the idea, with 41 percent saying they wanted to eat U.S. beef and 48 percent said they didn't. Among women, only 16 percent said they wanted to eat U.S. beef versus 76 percent who said no.

The bilateral agreement on the beef trade awaits final approval from Tokyo. Japan is also considering relaxing its own domestic testing standards, though regional governments say they will continue blanket testing due to consumer concerns.

The Asahi surveyed 1,823 voters nationwide for the poll via telephone on Oct. 23 and 24. No margin of error was given.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not a new article. Seems as though the longer the USDA bumped heads against the Japs, the feeling of distrust escalated by the them.

Last poll I saw showed that over 70% of the Japs distrusted U.S. beef.
All due to the fact that they didn't trust the USDA. Do you?

What percentage of Japanese citizens purchased U.S. beef before it was banned? That is the relevant question that will put these polls into perspective.

jojo said:
What percentage of Japanese citizens purchased U.S. beef before it was banned? That is the relevant question that will put these polls into perspective.

Don't know if that data was collected pre-ban because of the $1.5+ BILLION the USA sent there in 2003.

We had finally got the $$$$'s up from the big BSE scare in Japan in 2001.

In my opinion, had we let packers test on their own, we would have gotten past the ban years ago, AND, had won their confidence.

The Japs saw the USDA as covering something up.

So you are happy to quote polling numbers that have no historical basis in which a comparison can be made because the assumptions that you are making in Alabama are obviously true in Japan regarding Japanese consumer's perception of USDA.

Interesting.

I would encourage you to try to find the information that I asked about regarding the percentage of Japanese consumers that purchased U.S. beef pre-ban. They may prove your assumptions correct....or they may prove them wrong.

jojo, So you are happy to quote polling numbers that have no historical basis in which a comparison can be made because the assumptions that you are making in Alabama are obviously true in Japan regarding Japanese consumer's perception of USDA."

What assumptions are you talking about jojo? When the Japanese come out and tell you there are issues, there is nothing left to assume.

jojo, could you please tell us how much this 5 tons sold affected U.S. beef prices for producers?

My guess is not much.

Until that number is significant, the smidgen amount quoted means nothing except possibly to a few packer/shippers.

I agree that the small amount sold did not have a huge impact on U.S. beef prices (other than psychologically). However, that is not my point. My point is that these polls that are being tossed about mean nothing unless put into historical perspective.

Once again, what percentage of Japanese consumers purchased U.S. beef pre-ban?

I am not being argumentative; I just think it is important to point out that this information is needed in order to truly understand these polls.

jojo said:
I agree that the small amount sold did not have a huge impact on U.S. beef prices (other than psychologically). However, that is not my point. My point is that these polls that are being tossed about mean nothing unless put into historical perspective.

Once again, what percentage of Japanese consumers purchased U.S. beef pre-ban?

I am not being argumentative; I just think it is important to point out that this information is needed in order to truly understand these polls.

I think a better question would be, how much better off would the producers be if some packers had the option of testing and then selling to Japan.

Based on the polls, more Japanese would have been interested if it was tested credibly and they trusted the beef they were buying.

I know I feel that way with the things I eat.

If the markets do really pick up, how much better is the average consumer in the U.S. if all the good young cattle is going to Japan and they are stuck with more older cattle?

I still think the wagyu politics of Japan weighed up somewhat on this 20 month deal. It only makes sense.

Econ101,

Why did you change the subject?

Regarding your comment:

"If the markets do really pick up, how much better is the average consumer in the U.S. if all the good young cattle is going to Japan and they are stuck with more older cattle?"

Can you tell me what cuts are traditionally sent to Japan?

One SIMPLE question: How do they know it is AMERICAN beef? Is it LABELED?

If the Japanese are that WILD about AMERICAN Beef, maybe AMERICANS would be just as WILD. But alas, the SMART people on this board are against labeling in America.

Oh well, just another lost opportunity for producer profits! :shock: :roll:

The negative thinkers are such a hoot on this site. You complain if you are not shipping beef, and then you complain you are shipping beef.

But those same ones don't believe you should be sending any at all, due to the incompetence of the USDA, and due to the lack of food safety, coming from a BSE country.

Sandhusker said:
They sold 5 tons and that means the Japanese are scrambling to get it? :lol: :lol:

Recent public polls have showed the majority of Japanese consumers are planning to stay away from U.S. beef, and major restaurants and supermarkets have said they have no immediate plans to sell it.

Seems to me like Sandhusker is disappointed the US beef sold at all. You should be happy value has been added to North American product.

5 tons is more than you sold last week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

Seems to me like Sandhusker is disappointed the US beef sold at all. You should be happy value has been added to North American product.

5 tons is more than you sold last week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I'm happy that we're back in the market - we would of been there two years ago if the USDA wasn't earning their "contributions". I'm just saying we've seen nothing to remotely suggest they are "scrambling" for our beef. How long was the line to buy that beef?

As long as it took for all the beef to be gone in one day. How many people were turned away, cause there was none left?

I would guess that if there was twice as much, it would have sold too!

They haven't sent any back to Canada, since we started shipping to them either. They are buying everything that is shipped to them, amazing!

Latest posts