• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Guess Agman was right!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Murgen said:
As long as it took for all the beef to be gone in one day. How many people were turned away, cause there was none left?

I would guess that if there was twice as much, it would have sold too!

They haven't sent any back to Canada, since we started shipping to them either. They are buying everything that is shipped to them, amazing![/quote

Canada is a different country, Murgen.

Three stores sold 10,000 pounds in a city of 12 Million. I don't have any way of proving this, but I'll bet Baker's Supermarkets in Omaha (pop. 350,000) sold a heck of a lot more than that in the same time period.

Let me know when the Japanese are lining up to get it. Send me a follow up when we sell $1.5 Billion of product again. What is your prediction?

Murgen said:
As long as it took for all the beef to be gone in one day. How many people were turned away, cause there was none left?

I would guess that if there was twice as much, it would have sold too!

They haven't sent any back to Canada, since we started shipping to them either. They are buying everything that is shipped to them, amazing!

Great thoughts! But it counters your original thought of how smart Agman is. They are obviously NOT scrambling to buy AMERICAN beef. They just want beef! Hmmmm.
But at least they know if it's American beef, something agman and SH say is not good for the industry. (Labeling, that is)

They are obviously NOT scrambling to buy AMERICAN beef

I guess you would first have to define scrambling. They are certainly not going to throw out what is already in the counter from Australia.

These things take time. Rebuilding your credibility after years of degrading your country's food safety will take a little more than a day.

Murgen said:

I guess you would first have to define scrambling. They are certainly not going to throw out what is already in the counter from Australia.

These things take time. Rebuilding your credibility after years of degrading your country's food safety will take a little more than a day.

Is it going to take time or are they going to scramble for it? You can't have both! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ever been to a marathon scramble? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sandhusker,

Spare me the sophistry. If 5 ton was vigorously purchased, that's much better than 10 ton being mildly accepted. think of the situation as an IPO.
Sure, let's see the consumption curve in a month, and we'll know more. For now this is pretty good news.

Brad S said:
Sandhusker,

Spare me the sophistry. If 5 ton was vigorously purchased, that's much better than 10 ton being mildly accepted. think of the situation as an IPO.
Sure, let's see the consumption curve in a month, and we'll know more. For now this is pretty good news.

Brad S- I agree with you but I think there is a long row to hoe- and we are going to have to definitely watch our P's & Q's- and make the right moves.....The last few years history with USDA's record has led me to not be optimistic...

As an 85 old Norvegian fellow told me today, from many years experience, there are two types of people when dealing with anything the government has their hands involved in- the optimists promoting it and reallists that know where it will really end up.....

Oldtimer said:
Brad S said:
Sandhusker,

Brad S- I agree with you but I think there is a long row to hoe- and we are going to have to definitely watch our P's & Q's- and make the right moves.....The last few years history with USDA's record has led me to not be optimistic...

As an 85 old Norvegian fellow told me today, from many years experience, there are two types of people when dealing with anything the government has their hands involved in- the optimists promoting it and reallists that know where it will really end up.....

Ole missed the third group. The pessimists who are dissapointed that it does happen in spite of their whining, complaining and predictions of doom.

I like to rail on the guvment as much as the next guy, but I have hope Johanns will get things in order. This new level in food safety is fairly new, but I still have hope that mistakes will pave the way to improvement.

Brad S said:
I like to rail on the guvment as much as the next guy, but I have hope Johanns will get things in order. This new level in food safety is fairly new, but I still have hope that mistakes will pave the way to improvement.

You are referring to the new LOWER levels in food safety? Yeah, I'll agree, there is plenty of room for improvement.

Murgen said:

So then, you admit that agman was NOT right. They are not scrambling for AMERICAN beef, demand is merely "rebuilding". By the way, you haven't answered my question of "How do they know it is American beef? Is it labeled as such?" Since agman is opposed to COOL in AMerica, is he in favor of it in Japan?

Chief, If the US ship reasonable quantitys to Japan, they may still have to "scramble" to get it before it's gone.

It's all in your perspective and opinion. And fortunately opinions cannot be wrong!

TOKYO, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Only one Japanese food firm out of 21 would use American beef that has returned to the market after being withdrawn due to mad cow contamination, a consumer group survey found on Friday.

The Food Safety Citizen Watch said Yoshinoya D&C Co. Ltd. (9861.T: Quote, NEWS, Research) was the only company that said it had decided to use U.S. beef.

Five other firms replied they might use U.S. beef, which sold in Japan this week for the first time in six months, under certain circumstances.

The survey was sent to 24 Japanese supermarket operators and food industry firms, sectors that were major users of U.S. beef before the discovery of mad cow disease in December 2003.

A ban was briefly lifted in January, only to be re-imposed when Japanese inspectors found prohibited material in a veal shipment from a New York firm.

Yoshinoya, which took beef bowls off its menu after the first ban, has said it plans to revive the popular dish.

In the survey, one firm said it would closely track consumer views and the price, quality and import volume of U.S. beef before making a decision about whether to use the meat.

Another firm said it would wait for import volume and price to stabilise, while others said they would wait for the safety of U.S. meat to become widely accepted.

Japan has said it will only import beef from cattle aged up to 20 months.

Industry officials say they are unlikely to be able to secure the same volumes they had prior to the ban.

Seven of the firms said they would not use U.S. beef for the time being.

The consumer group said the remaining eight firms provided other responses, but did not elaborate.

The first shipment of U.S. beef since January, amounting to five tonnes, was imported by the Japanese unit of U.S. warehouse club operator Costco Wholesale Corp. (COST.O: Quote, Profile, Research), which operates five stores in Japan.

The beef sold out in one day.

However, industry officials say sales are likely to be slow at first due to lingering consumer concerns about safety.

Prior to the ban, the United States was one of the top suppliers of beef to Japan.

Japan's U.S. beef imports amounted to 240,000 tonnes, valued at $1.4 billion in 2003.

Rival Australia now dominates Japan's market for imported beef.

http://today.reuters.com/

tss

"Only one Japanese food firm out of 21 would use American beef that has returned to the market after being withdrawn due to mad cow contamination, a consumer group survey found on Friday. "

That's not scrambling by anybody's definition.

Latest posts