• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Halloween Storm 2009

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
It has been an interesting few days to say the least :D . Today I could finally get out to look around. I'm hoping to make it up to the bred heifers tomorrow.

Sunrise before the storm.
Fall2009241.jpg

Starting to snow pretty good. The older cows are in the pasture near my house.
Fall2009245.jpg

cow1.jpg

The dogs weren't too happy about this :lol: .
Fall2009265.jpg

The heifer calves weren't exactly thrilled themselves :lol: . I left them in corrals just in case the storm got bad... I'm happy I made that decision :D . They'll be turned out this week.
Fall2009270.jpg

After the storm, the cows started looking for some food. I did give them a bale on the second day of the storm.
Fall2009272.jpg

The wind came up and started clearing the ground open :D . Yesterday and last night the gusts had to have been in the 70+mph range. At least we didn't get the gusts that clock over 100mph like it can do up here.
Fall2009273.jpg

Today I could get around better, and so could the cows :lol: . It was sunny, and a lot of the snow settled or melted.
Fall2009281.jpg

Pretty neat icicles :D .
Fall2009280.jpg

Fall2009291.jpg

A few coming three year olds :D .
Fall2009295.jpg

cow3.jpg

I guess I won't be gathering into these corrals anytime soon, sure glad the calves are long gone :D .
Fall2009319.jpg

The wind kinda drifted the snow up in places :shock: . Okay Gcreek, I guess there will be a little plowing, but most of the drifts can stay until spring for all I care :D .
Fall2009307.jpg

Any wild guesses as to why permanent corrals haven't been built here :D ??? I'm really glad I got the panels taken down last week.
Fall2009297.jpg

I don't know if I should be more concerned that my dogs are on the barn roof, or that I need to duck underneath the power line :shock: :lol: .
Fall2009317.jpg

The heifers were a lot happier today with warmer temps and sunshine :D .
Fall2009323.jpg

Fall2009325.jpg

Fall2009327.jpg

Fall2009328.jpg

It's supposed to warm into the 50's this week!!! :D It has snowed close to 50 inches this month.

you darn sure live in some pretty country, but it is much prettier without the snow :wink: in some of your earlier pics, i thought to myself...i would like to live in country like that....now i'm not so sure :? :wink:

Justin said:
you darn sure live in some pretty country, but it is much prettier without the Al Gore effect :wink: in some of your earlier pics, i thought to myself...i would like to live in country like that....now i'm not so sure :? :wink:

fixed :wink:

hypocritexposer said:
Justin said:
you darn sure live in some pretty country, but it is much prettier without the Al Gore effect :wink: in some of your earlier pics, i thought to myself...i would like to live in country like that....now i'm not so sure :? :wink:

fixed :wink:

yep, i'm cured :D

Thanks for the pictures...I hope I don't see drifts that big here for atleast a couple more months. :) .

Those are some really nice cattle you pictured.

Wowie Zowie! Keep those drifts over there if you don't mind. Hate to brag but it was 60 here yesterday. Your girls look like they weathered the storm just fine. Just don't let the dogs on the barn roof on a warm day...they'll slide right off :D

Justin said:
you darn sure live in some pretty country, but it is much prettier without the snow :wink: in some of your earlier pics, i thought to myself...i would like to live in country like that....now i'm not so sure :? :wink:

Oh come on Justin, it's fun up here!!! :lol: Actually, you and your family should come visit during the summer. I'll let you know when the snow is all melted :lol: :D .

I guess we all try to play the hand we're dealt the best we can. Each ranch has its strengths and weaknesses. Luckily natural shelter is this place's biggest asset. My neighbors east of here don't have much shelter, and this type of storm really takes a toll on them. I'm actually very fortunate.

Latest posts