• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hang on to your hat!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hope you can hang on with one hand because it sounds like you will need a big bottle of water in the other!

We have had it hot hot here too, with no rain and no relief in sight. Chance of showers tomorrow . . . lots of guys starting to feed hay already.

We have had rain only 12 out of the last 90 days but it has come at very good times - - we got 6 ths last night and it drizzled all day today - - - we are still far behind but every little bit helps - - - what hay grows has been able to be put up dry. This rain has really helped the temp as well we were in the low 80s today and upper 60s this morning. The weatherman on TV said we are 19 inches below normal for the year but I have heard of many of you in much worse shape and feel sorry for you.
Possibly the hurricane season will bring relief if you don't get drowned instead

FH- Tomorrow couldn't be as bad as last Sat. was here. 108 degrees and over 45 mph wind gusts. I hope everyone gets off the haying machinery tomorrow if that comes to pass. The whole country might go up in flames.

Of course you are probably still too green to burn up there. :)

You are right. We are too green to burn. But we still don't like the feeling of being next to a blast furnace. That will turn this country around, too. When it dries out, there will be a lot of fuel to burn...I can't remember seeing the grass this good.

I wasn't here last Saturday, but everyone said it was dreadful here, too. My husband said the cows were laying down in water holes. I have seen that before~in Missouri~in summer~in heat and humidity. We have been having a lot of humidity here.

I was in Sheridan, Wyoming and it was 98 degrees there, too, and sticky. Always seems hotter in town because of all the pavement.

George how is the corn out that way? alot of guys here are banking on a crop failure in Indiana/ Illinois. Radio says it is looking bleak, but still may have an average crop.

beans hit $7 again and I am locking in....just like to see the corn hit $3 or better.

Faster horses said:
It is supposed to be 99 degrees here tomorrow with 15-30 mph winds and then gusts up to 45 mph in the afternoon.

YUKKKKKKKKK! I hate it when that happens...

We didn't get the extreme heat you guys south did- only got to about 94-but your 100+ heat built us some doozy thunderstorms-- we definitely got the wind last night--north of us recorded wind speeds of 59 with gusts to 67- south of us had gusts recorded at 90+mph....Little bit of rain here, but it sounds like the Wolf Point, Circle, Sidney area could have got as much as 2+ inchs again......

Wind did not do the hayfields any good, altho they didn't create the havoc with the swaths I thought they would--looks like only 15-20 acres we will have to rerake......Waiting for my bale truck to get done at the shop- had a water leak (timing chain cover- a Dodge trait) so I can start stacking- they thought they would be done by 10AM...

Jigs,
So far we have been very fortuniate - - -we are very short on rain but the good Lord has given it when we needed it. So while the pastures are dry the corn and beans both look good.
The alfalfa still looks good with the deep roots but the grasses have all but stopped growing

I have a good friend working for a fertilizer/ag-chem company in Illinois (halfway between where I-80 hits the west border, and Chicago); oh yeah, just west of Rock Falls. I hear it's really dry for a wide area there. Corn two or three feet tall and dried up already.
As far as the market is concerned, the NE panhandle had abnormally high carryover thru July first. We're usually importing corn from the east for 6-8 weeks by now. But ethanol demand is growing almost daily, however I think feed demand is down some. USDA numbers sound like a good crop.
In our area the corn crop will be around 15% below last year, due to a weird spring, and hail damage.
No, I'm not an analyst, I just do it for a living.

FH- Did you see the pictures in the Billings Gazette of the storm damage over in the Culbertson area? Hard to believe all those grain bins and freight train cars blowed over- they say that some of the gusts were recorded at 107 mph......

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?display=/newgallery/20050714storm/index1.php

Looks like we could get another one tomorrow night- supposed to be 100-110 degrees tomorrow on the eastern prairies....I'd better get the rest of the down hay baled and not cut til this front goes thru...

Kind of had my haying day shot today- Last night a neighbor called and said when he was checking bulls he saw one of my cows that had prolapsed- Got up at 4 this morning-took a trailer north and located her- got her hauled in and sewed up before it got too hot--but by the time I could get back to the hayfield it was 95- so I took a nap instead- see how it cools down this evening... And the worse thing was the cow that prolapsed was my grandkids pet heifer (1/2 hereford) --After I wean off her calf she'll make good eating, but I'll have to be careful about telling the kids what they are eating...... :)

We eat our son's bucket calves all the time. :twisted: The one that is in the freezer now he hated. Never did get it very gentle. Sure taste good now. He has a hiefier now that we will probally keep for him for a cow. She's a sweetheart. :D

I just heard about that Culbertson storm on the radio this afternoon coming home from making a parts run to Bowman, ND. I will look at the Gazette and thanks for mentioning it. We don't get local news on our Dish network. Drives me nuts. I wanted an antenna for Christmas, but Santa never brought me one. I hate not getting local news.

I am to go to Billings to pick up our grandson tomorrw at noon. Now I wonder if I should wait it out before I come home. He is anxious to get here. Guess I will play it by ear. I should be home by 4 pm, maybe that will be early enough.

100_0519.jpg

I was just looking thru some pictures the wife has on the computer and came across these of two winters ago-- Tomorrow when its 100+, I'll remember this to keep cool :lol: :lol:

100_0516.jpg

100_0523.jpg

Thanks for the photos, Oldtimer. They are just plumb refreshing today, to say the least. With the Chinook we have going at the present time, those snow drifts wouldn't last long.

At the moment, the thermometer registers an even one hundred degrees, with at least a forty mile per hour breeze. As boss (which is SOB spelled backwards :wink: ) of this here outfit, I declared a "non-hay-day" for the rest of the afternoon. Darn sure don't want a baler bearing to go out and set the whole countrside on fire. Besides, the windrows wouldn't stay put long enough to get them baled anyway. That is one advantage of our hay that has been mowed. We mow with bar mowers, so it doesn't blow until it gets raked.

As the title of this thread so aptly proclaims, "Hang on to your hat!"

Kind of Chinooking here today, too-- Was retrieving bales until the temp in the truck showed 103- Decided I'll take a rest until it cools off this evening...At least we got all the down hay reraked and baled early this morning, because it appears to be a lot of thunderheads building again...

This country has looked real good up until here just lately. The hay is piling up good, but the pastures are starting to look a bit stressed. A nice rain anytime would be wonderful.

Well we were very short on water , just getting enough to keep us out of trouble - - - untill this morning :!: - - - 3 inches in 2 hours and we are getting another downpour as I type :? . I put in a pond this spring and they were concerned it would not fill - - - I always tell the customer not to expect a pond to seal for two years :shock: and to stock it with channel catfish as soon as it maintains 6 feet of water as they will seal the bottom quickly :!: - - - make sure you put in fathead minnows for food. With the rain we are getting now they might get a full pond this fall :(

We had 104%, and no one looked at the thermometer till after the "heat of the day" should have passed its prime! The wind was terrific, but has eased considerably. Think we are getting some cooling benefits from T Storms to the west and north of us.

The baler broke down big time just before noon, so guys have been in the shop all afternoon. Think they got it fixed after a trip to get some parts. Tomorrow some of them get to go pick up bulls out of our hiefers EARLY in the morning while it is cool.

Guess it's pretty typical July, but I remember being so hopeful that an early spring forecast by some weather guy for a cool summer would be accurate!

MRJ

103 degrees here today, with the blast furnace wind. Finished baleing my tame=cool season grass hay yesterday, started June 1st, but didn't get much done the first 3 weeks. Started on 2nd cutting alfalfa, thought with the heat it would be ready this afternoon but it hadn't cured enough. couldn't have kept it in a windrow anyway. Usually I don't get a 2nd cutting, the heat usually gets it, but this year the week of night freezes delayed it some.

Hay produced fairly good, best it has for several years, but my fields are old and should be rotated, haven't because I hate to start farming again. Did plow up one field and planted it to millet, after we took the hay off.

I use a 2550 NH swather, rake two windrows together with a rake like Soapweeds only mine only has 14 wheels. Some this year was to heavy to do that though. Works fairly good for a 2 man crew, especially where we have an alfalfa grass mixture.

We have used about every method of puttin up hay here except the little square bales. Used an overshot stacke, a Farmhand loader, Heston stackwagns, had one John deere Stackwagon, had a NH chain type baler, and now a Vermeer. Mowed with a single bar mower, a mower and trail mower, on this the rear mower was driven with a long PTO shaft. My brother built 2 mowers on a single frame, something like a Rowse. I think this was before Rowse even thought about their mower. An implement dealer here had built some like that using Ford Mowers, Lyle used JD mowers, and gear boxes from M&M square balers.

That cool front hit last night-few showers is about all we got, but the temp sure dropped...Temp was down to 72 when I quit hauling bales at dark- this morning it is 62 with a little breeze...What a change......Predicting a high of 75 for today and 83 for tomorrow- then back into the 90's....

Hope this cool air gets to everyone for a little relief..

Latest posts