• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Has anyone tried this?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowwrangler

Reaction score
http://hayandforage.com/livestock/beef/on-farm-stover-treatment-cuts-costs-0218

I contacted the research company and they sent me some info. I forwarded it on to my nutritionist to see what he thinks. The research guy told me that it will cost around $20 to every ton of straw/stover. If it does what they say, that is pretty reasonable compared to buying corn, etc. I am curious to see what my nutritionist says about it.

I think several places have it. Home Depot, Menards, and im checking to see if our Coop can get it. I will also be trying this method this winter.

I think several places have it. Home Depot, Menards, and im checking to see if our Coop can get it. I will also be trying this method this winter.

BRG said:
I contacted the research company and they sent me some info. I forwarded it on to my nutritionist to see what he thinks. The research guy told me that it will cost around $20 to every ton of straw/stover. If it does what they say, that is pretty reasonable compared to buying corn, etc. I am curious to see what my nutritionist says about it.

could you let me know what he thinks?i still havent found how much is used or how its put on thanks

I haven't spoke to my nutritionist yet as he will be here on Wednesday. But the guy who I spoke to on the phone said this.

One 50 lbs bag to 1000 lbs of stalks. Bring the moisture up to 50% and let sit for 5 to 7 days. Most people pack like silage unless you will use it all in a few days. The stalks need ground to around 3 inches and it all needs mixed together in a mixer wagon.

I will let you know what I find out.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100350513/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=hydrated+lime&storeId=10051

?????

I looked at the links, probably too quickly, and believe only corn stover was mentioned, which makes me wonder if it would work on cane???

There was a link to the researcher, I believe. The type of lime for making pickles was mentioned in the first link, and I doubt that is the same as the lime for plaster, etc.

I've made so few pickles other than watermelon rind, and not used lime, so no little about that lime and guess it may be either to keep pickles from getting mushy or to enhance crispness of dill pickles, maybe others.

Good luck with trying the process. Feed is so scarce, yet we in west central SD see tons and tons of hay 'going south' and even more in the past month. Some trucks are Canadian licensed, but we have seen many bales springing up on CRP fields even in our severe drought area, all seeming to be for sale. We think we have enough, after buying a little locally. And selling lots more cattle than we want to right now.

mrj

Latest posts