• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Has BSE changed your Habits?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Since discovery of BSE in North America have you changed your buying or eating habits concerning bee

• 1. No change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Some changes in what I buy or eat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Over the past two years since the first Canadian BSE cow was found I have discussed with many the changes they have made in their purchase and eating habits regarding beef.... These were with both rancher and non-rancher types... Biggest answer I received was guarantees from the butcher of non- Canadian origin and #2 was that more were buying halves and whole beef from local farms and feedlots they knew...

Since I eat my own beef I have changed little except that I have given up two of the things I used to buy--# 1 is tongue- not enough in one beef, so I used to purchase at the store since I love roast tongue, #2 is that I used to eat liver and onions often when I ate out- but now with the question of increased prions in organ meats have quit both- eat only those from what I raised.....

:roll: Are you going to go back and poll the same people who would not eat Canadian beef after the positive American test comes back Oldtimer?

Like you Northern Rancher, When I eat out, I ask if it's Canadian. I have a pretty good handle on the testing and survelance done in this country and trust that the CFIA is being honest.

I eat home grown beef,the steak house that I like grows their own beef too,so not much changes around here..............good luck

Hay maker it is always nice to see a steak house with a corral full of fat beef out back...... :p

Les said:
Hay maker it is always nice to see a steak house with a corral full of fat beef out back...... :p

Went to a "Catfish House" type restaurant back in the early seventies. Big shed in the back with tanks w/aerators full of catfish, sorted in the different tanks according to size. They would give you a net to "catch your own fish", weigh 'em, clean 'em, and cook 'em and charge you by the pound.
That probably wouldn't work with beef. :wink:

Mike said:
Les said:

Went to a "Catfish House" type restaurant back in the early seventies. Big shed in the back with tanks w/aerators full of catfish, sorted in the different tanks according to size. They would give you a net to "catch your own fish", weigh 'em, clean 'em, and cook 'em and charge you by the pound.

What a novel concept! I guess if you'd want to try it with beef, it would require planning your meals ahead a little further.

:D

Les said:

TEXAS home grown and fed beef is good enough for me.............good luck and while he dont have corrals in the back he does raise, feed and slaughter.He has plenty good beef aging and hanging in cold storage in the back and butchers and cooks that are good at what they do,course being a canuckle head you probably never seen a real steak house................good luck PS I would like to show some of you canuckle heads what cattle country looks like but then you wouldnt go back home ,probably be trying to join R CALF and cussin packers.But if you ever get lucky enough to come to TX, this place can be found in Devine TX,carry your branding irons with you and while you are enjoying the best steak you ever ate, he'll heat up your irons and put your brand on the wall along with some good TX cattle men.Add those TX girls with wrangler jeans that look painted on,cold beer...........are you starting to understand Les?

I understand the texas women have to paint their pants on cause they cant find jeans big enough for them :p

Les I have been to many Texas steak houses and most of the women are wearing wranglers 2 sizes to small. They just plumb outgrowed them but are too vain to buy bigger ones.

Texas has the reputation of eating away from home more than any other State, and it also has the distinction of being one of the heaviest States in terms of its people's weight.

The best steaks I ate in Texas were at Saltgrass and were CAB. But if I do a proper job of cooking them, my own steaks are as good or better.

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Mike said:
Les said:

What a novel concept! I guess if you'd want to try it with beef, it would require planning your meals ahead a little further.

:D

We had a steakhouse here that you could pick out your steak from the cooler and grill it yourself or they would grill it for you the YUPPIES really ate it up.....

Latest posts