• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hauling Water!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rynophiliac

Reaction score
Does anyone else have to haul water? I'm looking for a good cost effective solution like a tank on my flatbed or something. What have you guys tried?

We use the 500 gallon "Tote Tanks" that paint or other liquids come in. Get 'em used for $25 bucks each and 4 will fit on a flatbed or trailer. Or move them with tractor/loader forks

They have a 2" outlet valve and a large filling inlet on top.

Mike said:
We use the 500 gallon "Tote Tanks" that paint or other liquids come in. Get 'em used for $25 bucks each and 4 will fit on a flatbed or trailer.

We were thinking the exact same thing. I have found tote tanks in my area but they are only 330 gallons each and the cheapest I can find them for is $125 used! We were planning on putting two of them on our 1990 cummins 4x4 with a flatbed but wasn't sure how much weight the truck could handle because we have some hills to go up and are place is pretty rocky and bumpy!

How much consideration of your time costs is needed to decide if it is even feasible to haul water for cows?

I've seen numbers of 40 to 50 gallons per day per cow in our climate of western SD. It seems like the hotter and drier the area, the more they will need. Distance of haul, quality and cost of water, amount of time it will be needed. Unless it is for just a few very special cattle, it seems awfully costly in both time and money, but I know a lot of people do it even for some pretty big herds and they must feel it either worth it, or unavoidable.

mrj

We have a full time ranch hand that is going to be doing the hauling of the water, so they are getting paid whether they are hauling water or just looking around for something productive to do :) And the distance is not far. Just up to the higher elevation parts of our ranch (about 6 miles).

If we had a low desert ranch and had to haul water across long distances and didn't have a ranch hand on site then it would probably not be worth it at all, unless it was for just a brief period of time like in the spring months only waiting for the monsoon rains.

Mike said:
We use the 500 gallon "Tote Tanks" that paint or other liquids come in. Get 'em used for $25 bucks each and 4 will fit on a flatbed or trailer. Or move them with tractor/loader forks

just a note, the "cage" around the tank makes excellent square bale sheep feeders, am able to put 8 or so bales in each one, curbs the waste asmuch as possible with sheep. :wink: :lol: sorry to take it off topic . as you were

Old 250 gallon and 500 gallon fuel tanks chained to a big wagon and hauled with the tractor. I had 750 gallons capacity with the ability to add two more tanks for a total of 1250. At least then your making good use of your travel time.

I'd get an 0ld milk truck they sold one near here this sping for $3500 5000 gallon capacity. Sure glad I live where I do water is everywhere.

Those totes will become brittle and crack if left out in the sun, should cover them up with a UV resistant tarp or put inside when not in use.

I picked a few of those mini-tots free from the local ferilizer dealer. I'm using them as rain barrels. Power washer with detergent and they are good. Just talk to the ferilizer reps and they might give them to you. I was told that they couldn't return them.

rynophiliac said:
Mike said:
We use the 500 gallon "Tote Tanks" that paint or other liquids come in. Get 'em used for $25 bucks each and 4 will fit on a flatbed or trailer.

We were thinking the exact same thing. I have found tote tanks in my area but they are only 330 gallons each and the cheapest I can find them for is $125 used! We were planning on putting two of them on our 1990 cummins 4x4 with a flatbed but wasn't sure how much weight the truck could handle because we have some hills to go up and are place is pretty rocky and bumpy!

For that kind of money, wouldn't you be better off to get a new tank? Just asking.

When hauling water to cows on stalk fields in the winter I either use a 1000 gallon trailer or put 550 gallon tank on back of pickup.

LazyWP said:
rynophiliac said:
Mike said:

For that kind of money, wouldn't you be better off to get a new tank? Just asking.

Doubtful that anybody here has bought more tanks than I have. My rule of thumb is a blem tank, in the smaller sizes, is gonna run about a buck a gallon to buy. The 2500-3000 gallon tanks aren't that way, but the 200-500 gallon sizes usually do. I buy all my tanks as blems from Snyder Industries in Lincoln. Blems carry the same guarantee as firsts but don't cost near as much.

The trailer thing is fine, but it can and will get you in trouble in rough or hilly country. That's why I use a 550 Ford with 1-300 gallon tank and 2-200 gallon tanks mounted on skids on the flatbed of the 550.

loomixguy said:
LazyWP said:
rynophiliac said:

Doubtful that anybody here has bought more tanks than I have. My rule of thumb is a blem tank, in the smaller sizes, is gonna run about a buck a gallon to buy. The 2500-3000 gallon tanks aren't that way, but the 200-500 gallon sizes usually do. I buy all my tanks as blems from Snyder Industries in Lincoln. Blems carry the same guarantee as firsts but don't cost near as much.

The trailer thing is fine, but it can and will get you in trouble in rough or hilly country. That's why I use a 550 Ford with 1-300 gallon tank and 2-200 gallon tanks mounted on skids on the flatbed of the 550.

I couldn't come up with Snyder in my brain. Its been to many years to remember all the names, but Snyder is a good tank. Can you buy direct from Snyder?

We bought a used 1000 gallon anhydrous ammonia trailer. Pull it with a tractor since they have no brakes. Were going to use for fire-fighting, but then found a used fire truck for not much more.

Guess that anhydrous trailer is still sitting there unused.

CP

LazyWP said:
loomixguy said:
LazyWP said:

I couldn't come up with Snyder in my brain. Its been to many years to remember all the names, but Snyder is a good tank. Can you buy direct from Snyder?

Don't know about the firsts, but you can sure buy the blems direct. Snyder Factory Outlet. They used to be out on west O, but several years they moved east. Exit 80 on 56th & head south...can't remember the name of the street, but it's north of Superior and back east 5 or 6 blocks. You want to talk to Stan.

I had to haul water to cows on stalks this winter so I rigged of what we call the Blue Buffalo. It's a 56 international truck that I pulled out of a tree row and mounted a 3200 gallon tank. At first I thought hauling water was no big deal, but when your hauling water for 400 head it becomes a full time job. We soon found ways to get water to most of the fields.

Latest posts