• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hauling Water!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We will be hauling water for around 60 head and just during the dry months. Once the monsoon rains come our dirt tanks will all fill back up and last us most the year. My biggest concern is the weight of 660 gallons on a 90 dodge 250 cummins 4x4 flatbed. I may start with one full tank and see how it handles on the road. The road is a gentle climb with lots of rocks. If it handles it fine then I will move up to 2 then 3 tanks as I get comfortable.

I've got 3 steel tanks I haul distillers syrup in they hold 1500 gallons total and I've hauled 100's of loads on a triple axel flatbed and that stuff weigh's 11#s to the gallon it's 90 miles round trip.

rynophiliac said:
We will be hauling water for around 60 head and just during the dry months. Once the monsoon rains come our dirt tanks will all fill back up and last us most the year. My biggest concern is the weight of 660 gallons on a 90 dodge 250 cummins 4x4 flatbed. I may start with one full tank and see how it handles on the road. The road is a gentle climb with lots of rocks. If it handles it fine then I will move up to 2 then 3 tanks as I get comfortable.

660 gallons equals 5511 pounds of water plus the tanks weight. :shock: I'd start small and be easier on equipment. 60 head of lactating cows will drink between 12-20 gallons each per day. At 12 gallons that is 720 per day and at 20 gallons that will be 1200 gallons. Plus calves will drink some. You probably know all that already but i like to point out the obvious. :lol: :wink: How far ya gotta haul the H2o?

leanin' H said:
rynophiliac said:

660 gallons equals 5511 pounds of water plus the tanks weight. :shock: I'd start small and be easier on equipment. 60 head of lactating cows will drink between 12-20 gallons each per day. At 12 gallons that is 720 per day and at 20 gallons that will be 1200 gallons. Plus calves will drink some. You probably know all that already but i like to point out the obvious. :lol: :wink: How far ya gotta haul the H2o?

Yea I calculated 5500 lbs also. Not sure if that is too much for a 3/4 ton diesel truck or not.

rynophiliac said:
leanin' H said:
rynophiliac said:

Yea I calculated 5500 lbs also. Not sure if that is too much for a 3/4 ton diesel truck or not.

If the front tires come off the ground, then yeah! :shock: :lol: :lol: Almost 3 tons on rough ground might make a guy pucker a little. Take your camera when ya go and let us tag along. :wink:

Back in the day we used to load 2 full grown simmie bulls in a set of stock racks on the back of an old 1/2 ton Ford and head for the auction mart a couple hundred miles away! And I'm pretty sure those old half tons weren't rated for what todays trucks are!

leanin' H said:
rynophiliac said:
leanin' H said:

If the front tires come off the ground, then yeah! :shock: :lol: :lol: Almost 3 tons on rough ground might make a guy pucker a little. Take your camera when ya go and let us tag along. :wink:

Haha yeah, the good news is that we will be emptying the water into multiple troughs as we go up the hill so when we get to the really rocky part more than 1/2 the water will already be unloaded off the truck.

If I was in a position where we had to haul water daily for a good group of cows, I think I would go find an old Milk or fuel type trailer and an old semi to pull it. Then I would use it to rotate cows to different areas of the pasture so the cows graze the pastures, especially the areas they don't like to get to. Put a float on it and stay in that spot for a few days, then next time you need to fill, move them to a knew area of the pasture that hasn't yet been grazed.

A bigger trailer to hold more is what I would want, that way you can get other work done instead of just hauling water back and forth.

What would a person have to do to clean out a fuel tank to haul water. Have a chance to purchase an old fuel hauler for a reasonable price and wondered if i could haul water to cows with it.

I can use my "Water Wagon" for cattle - - - holds 2,000 gal so it is a load for the 10 ton running gear but I just pull with a tractor when full so it works fine.

WaterWagonfront_zps52d70748.jpg

With the wings folded in it is only 8' wide for transport. I have a "boiler valve" under the rear that I can attach a garden hose to so that I can run a pressure washer in the field or put a float on a cattle tank.

When my foster son waters his pumpkin patch he folds the wings in backwards and straddles the rows to really drench the pumpkins. Folded out it covers 16' for keeping dust down on the gravel pit roads. 1,000 gals covers 1/2 mile well at 5 MPH and then about 4 hours later do it again.

This was a fuel oil tank and I used it for the roads many times before I used it for cattle water - - - the pump I put on the back will fill it from the creek in under 20 minutes.

I used this at several tractor pulls and "Mudd bogs" each year so I have SMV emblems and reflective tape - - - with three garden hoses at one of the tractors pulls it still takes about 1 1/2 hours to fill but no more often than we have to apply water it still keeps up as we rarely put on more that 500 gals at a time.

WaterWagonrear_zpse0ec3e15.jpg

Front spread 16'

WaterWagon16spread_zps219188cb.jpg

Double watering for pumpkins

WaterWagonfoldeddouble_zps3124ed59.jpg

A local "Public Park" borrowed it to keep dust down on their roads and the tongue came back badly bent and they don't have a clue as to how it happened - - - they will not get to borrow it again!

The old fire truck in the first picture will hold 2,400 gal but we haul fertilizer in it and as such I would not trust it for cattle water.

Since it takes 27,000 gallons to wet 1 acre with 1" of water, hope he don't have 40-50 acres of pumpkins! :lol:

Mike said:
We use the 500 gallon "Tote Tanks" that paint or other liquids come in. Get 'em used for $25 bucks each and 4 will fit on a flatbed or trailer. Or move them with tractor/loader forks

They have a 2" outlet valve and a large filling inlet on top.

Mike, that's exactly what we use here when we have to haul water......and since this pueblo has been without running water since last August (REVOLUCION!), you can imagine how much water we haul.

Whitewing said:
Mike said:
We use the 500 gallon "Tote Tanks" that paint or other liquids come in. Get 'em used for $25 bucks each and 4 will fit on a flatbed or trailer. Or move them with tractor/loader forks

Mike, that's exactly what we use here when we have to haul water......and since this pueblo has been without running water since last August (REVOLUCION!), you can imagine how much water we haul.

Where and how far do you have to go to get water?

Mike said:
Since it takes 27,000 gallons to wet 1 acre with 1" of water, hope he don't have 40-50 acres of pumpkins! :lol:

Quite right so we fold the wings in and only cover the row and about 4' on each side - - - he plants 12' rows and only about 2 acres - - - last year in the drought we were the only ones around with pumpkins but large stores like WalMart hauled in from out of state.

I require my foster son to give 1/3 of the money into my grand children's college fund - - - I started out at 1/2 but when I saw how much work he was putting in I cut him some slack I never knew that many pumpkins could come from 1 acre!

We put 8 tanker loads on then waited a week and did it again and they took off and never stopped growing, we just had to get them started!

Mike said:
Whitewing said:
Mike said:

Where and how far do you have to go to get water?

At the ranch I haul water from a couple of my ponds over to the house for the corrals and to wash and water the few sow hogs I've got with piglets. I use a small, gasoline-powered water pump to load the tank.

In the pueblo, and near the pueblo, there are several wells (some private, one owned by PDVSA the national oil company) where we can fill up the tank on most days. And yes, it's a tank of 1000 liters or roughly 400 gallons. I like the size and weight because two guys can easily load/unload it off the bed of my Ford Triton.

The water I haul for the house is used mainly to wash up my chicken slaughtering and provide water for the birds I have on hand. I've got an underground tank that's about 4,000 gallons but it still seems to go quickly. Oh, same water is used for the crapper.

Drinking/cooking water is purely bottled water.

15,000 people or so in this pueblo and NO RUNNING WATER! I tell folks all the time that if this were the States the people would be in the streets with pitch forks and torches. Here? No big deal. Just another day in paradise. :mad:

gcreekrch said:
The day I've got to haul water for cows is they day before they all go on the truck! :wink:

Your just spoiled! :p :D I have a cousin down in southern utah that has to haul 3-5000 gallon loads a day all summer. They move thier cows across their ranch and allotment by moving the troughs. The railroad had to cross thier place years ago with a spur line to haul ballast for the railroad grades and tracks, so they cut a deal for them to drill a well and pay the pump bill for them. It opened up lots more range for them to utilize. They spend all winter out there too, but have live water on the winter range. So the trade off is hauling water instead of hay. Guess it depends on where ya ranch and what you are willing to do. :wink:

gcreekrch said:
The day I've got to haul water for cows is they day before they all go on the truck! :wink:

I'm with you I won't rent a pasture unless it has a creek or stockponds. Did that one time and the land owner kept watering the lawn with the hose to the tank then didn't hook it back up.

Latest posts