• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Have you read any good books recently?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleArmy

Reaction score
:shock: Shocking to some I do read other then here on ranchers. :wink:
I was just wondering if any of you have any great books you'd recommend.

Here's a few I've read that I'd recommend.

Escape ~ by Caroline Jessop
Evil Obsession ~ not sure of the author it takes place near North Platte Nebraska

My Sisters Keeper ~ Jodi P (Thanks Faster)
While my sister sleeps ~ Barbara Delenski

I'm currently reading The Note and so far it's holding my attention.

I've also been reading some bull sale flyers. It's that time of year again. :)

I just finished "My sisters keeper" as it was given to me for
Christmas. This was a book I would have never gotten for myself;
and yet I loved the book. It is writted by Jodi Picoult.

I have ordered "The Smiling Country" by Elmer Kelton because
I was told it was excellent but I haven't received it yet. I also
ordered "Sprite, A Rescue Dog" written by Mark Levin. When
I ordered these two books from Amazon, I also ordered
"Game Change'. I can hardly wait to read it. I wish they had
been here before the blizzard. That's a good time to read.
Instead I was on ranchers.net most of the day. :shock:

I have read all but one of the books by C.J. Box, author from Cheyenne, Wyoming. He wrote a series involving a Wyoming game warden named Joe Pickett. Murder and conspiracies are the theme of these novels. He also wrote two other novels that are independant of the Joe Pickett series. Both of those are wonderful too. Get your hands on these books, you won't be disappointed. Make sure you read the series in order, that's much more fun

Only problem is that I gobbled those up so fast I'm left looking for something to match them.

HP

You might like Rich Hobson's books, HP.

Grass Beyond the Mountains
Nothing too good for a cowboy
The rancher takes a wife.

They are best read in sequence too.
Thanks for the ones you posted. I'm going to see
about getting them. You can't have too many good books.

On that note, has anyone heard about 'kindle'...
or have you used one? I just found out about it.

High Plains said:
I have read all but one of the books by C.J. Box, author from Cheyenne, Wyoming. He wrote a series involving a Wyoming game warden named Joe Pickett. Murder and conspiracies are the theme of these novels. He also wrote two other novels that are independant of the Joe Pickett series. Both of those are wonderful too. Get your hands on these books, you won't be disappointed. Make sure you read the series in order, that's much more fun

Only problem is that I gobbled those up so fast I'm left looking for something to match them.

HP

HP:

The CJ Box books are very popular here. Almost always checked out at the library. I'll have to try harder to get one on your recomendation.

Thanks!

If any of yall would be interested in fla cattle history, this one would be a good start. It's about a fla cowboy that lived hard and played hard. It's a true story and talks about the early days of the fla cattle ind. Florida cow hunter. The life and times of bone mizell. By jim bob tinsley. www.upf.com. I think anybody interest in cattle would enjoy this book.

Every chemo treatment I hit the used book store-stock up on reading material. My Dad had always talked about reading Peck's Bad Boys novels. I found one called Peck's Bad Boy and the Cowboys written in 1905-pretty funny reading and alot of political satire hidden in there.

I finished the book The Note and it was a good book.

I also took the advice of HP and read a CJ Box book. I read Three Weeks to Say Goodbye and it was excellent. You know the kind of book you stay up later then you planned because you are so into seeing what happens next?

I recommend Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls.

It's her grandmother's story of growing up in West Texas in the early 1900's and it's a great story.

Grudgingly gave $26 bucks for the hardcover at an airport shop so I would have something to read on a flight, and now I am very glad I bought it!

I find Wilbur Smith's stories about the movement from colonialism to present day Africa , particularly Rhodesia, most fascinating. While he writes them as novels, they do have their basis in historical fact.

Smith writes in such a manner as to make one smell the smells, see the scenery, and almost be present in the events he describes. Some of his stuff is pretty graphic, but yet he doesn't write that stuff simply to shock the reader as some do. He is simply portraying the experience in a culturally accurate way.

I just finished reading his "Blue Horizon" a couple of weeks ago. Simply spell-binding for me.

I read a humorous book a few years ago, I'll have to read it again to refresh my memory! But it's about growin' up in Nebraska, called Hay, Hell, Kids and Catttle by Dillard Gates. Good book and I can relate to everything he talks about. 8)

Frank in West Dakota said:
I read a humorous book a few years ago, I'll have to read it again to refresh my memory! But it's about growin' up in Nebraska, called Hay, Hell, Kids and Catttle by Dillard Gates. Good book and I can relate to everything he talks about. 8)

You can read? :lol2: :wink:

Hope your electricity is back on!

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Turkey Track Bar said:
You can read? :lol2: :wink:
Only certain letters :dunce: :lol:

Turkey Track Bar said:
Hope your electricity is back on!

Cheers---

TTB :wink:
We went 214 hrs without, talked to a guy last night, he still doesn't have any, so that would be 312 hrs for him! :shock:

I have a copy of Evil Obsession. Nellie Snyder Yost is the author. This is a true story of Lincoln County Neb. and North Platte. Some of the name have been changed to protect the guilty errrrrr innocent I mean, lol.

salt grass flats said:
I have a copy of Evil Obsession. Nellie Snyder Yost is the author. This is a true story of Lincoln County Neb. and North Platte. Some of the name have been changed to protect the guilty errrrrr innocent I mean, lol.

That name is familiar :? Has she wrote other books?

Who wrote Pinnacle Jake?

Northern Rancher said:
South Dakota baby boom predicted!!!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

NR, I doubt like hell there'll be any boom come 1st part of Nov, tempers were short, tension was high. But, come the middle maybe end of Nov.........after the tensions eased and celebratin' started............there could be some boomin' goin' on!

Latest posts