• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

HAY MAKER,hard at work

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:
HAY MAKER 'n nr, I was surprised to see what could be considered a "northern" tool hanging on display so far south. Maybe when you say 'long ago', yer talkin' about the ice age 'cuz I didn't think you would ever have ice where you live. Do ya? :???:

The "Ice Age" down this way was before electric refrigerators. Some people still call the fridge an "Icebox".

The "iceman" would have a tong in each hand carrying a 50 lb. block.

I remember those old ice houses well,now when you hear some one talk about an ice house they are talking about their favorite watering hole. :wink: because in their time they were a favorite gathering place,most sold ice and cold beer............good luck

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Mike said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:
HAY MAKER 'n nr, I was surprised to see what could be considered a "northern" tool hanging on display so far south. Maybe when you say 'long ago', yer talkin' about the ice age 'cuz I didn't think you would ever have ice where you live. Do ya? :???:

The "Ice Age" down this way was before electric refrigerators. Some people still call the fridge an "Icebox".

Mike, thank you for completing my education in the science of ice tongs. You doofus. You are explaining grass to a cow!

What I would like to know is if you guys down in Alabama, S.C. and Texas ever have cold enough weather to make thick ice on a pond, river, lake . . . :???:

I can remember 2-3 inch ice on a pond here when I was a kid. But I was a doofus then too! :wink: North Alabama has a ski slope. 8)

Maple Leaf Angus said:

MLA,tongs may be considered a northern tool to you,but they are as common as dirt around here,was;nt that long ago ,the ole man head to town get ice for mama and a lil cold beer for his self :wink: ......good luck

Guess that shows my ignorance of Southern U.S. climate. I didn't think it got cold enough that far south to make thick enough ice to use tongs.

There ya go HAY MAKER. You post an everyday picture and the rest of the world can learn something.

Now I'm not saying that you sit there with yer feet up everyday, don't go takin' me wrong.

Good picture Haymaker! Your desk resembles mine.

I was at our county fair this afternoon and the two cylinder club was set up with a heck of a line of two bangers. It made my day! I told them guys that my daughter and I were just working ours out yesterday. Them guys acted like they couldn't beleive it, thought every two banger was a collectors item. Hell, here you hear em every direction in the evenings.

Say Hay Maker, you look quite distinguished. Neat pic.

Tom S., haven't visited for a while with you. Did you ever get the book that I gave you the address for? He led quite the life in numerous professions.

How are things going in your neighborhood at the moment? Are you making your pilgrimage out west this year, and a bite at the Olive Hotel? :D I might have to go up there and have some of that Filet Mignon myself one of these days. You suppose if we both went up that rancher and his missus would join us? :wink:

Oh the good ole days on ranchers.net.

Mike said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:

I still get dirty looks :? from the kids and grandkids when I ask them to get something out of the "icebox".... But until I was about 6 years old and we got power, I'd never heard of a refrigerator........

Katrina says,"Man Haymaker, Your hair is whiter than mine...
Do like the digs though...."

Gosh Katrina, from the looks of your picture you have darker hair than you suggest. :!: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Boy, I'm gonna get it for that one, but I couldn't help it.

Maple Leaf Angus said:

I'm in Delaware which is considered a mid-Atlantic state. Can get in the minus temps in the winter.

Back in time they shipped blocks of ice down to the south from the north by ship.

Tom S said:
Good picture Haymaker! Your desk resembles mine.

I was at our county fair this afternoon and the two cylinder club was set up with a heck of a line of two bangers. It made my day! I told them guys that my daughter and I were just working ours out yesterday. Them guys acted like they couldn't beleive it, thought every two banger was a collectors item. Hell, here you hear em every direction in the evenings.

Tom IM glad to hear that that those ole popin johnny's are still workin in you area,I know some times I get carried away trying to hang on to the "old ways" but I will always believe its something speacial to hear an old poppin johnny and see an old man working his fields with an old John deere.....................good luck

I never would of pictured that is what Hay Maker looks like!! I pictured him as a short stocky German looking feller with a seed cap or maybe a John Deere cap.

Hell, he looks a whole lot like my grandpa sitting there in that picture....

I also didn't think you were that old Hay Maker :wink:

BMR,

Dont ya think ole haymaker looks like coloniel sanders? Hey haymaker you been eating lots of KFC lately? :nod: :nod: :lol2: :lol2:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Do you wear those white pants just cause they get dirty easily and makes it look like you really do some work? :roll:

Those aint white pants,they are worn out carhartts,this TX sun can bleach any thing see my hair,damn sun had it good and bleached by the time I was 21 :wink: ...............good luck PS are you caught up on your haying chores?

Manitoba_Rancher said:
BMR,

Dont ya think ole haymaker looks like coloniel sanders? Hey haymaker you been eating lots of KFC lately? :nod: :nod: :lol2: :lol2:

I got very few rules around here,and one of them is I dont eat any thing that has feathers,never could stand em :wink: ...............good luck PS are you drying up any?

TXTibbs said:
I never would of pictured that is what Hay Maker looks like!! I pictured him as a short stocky German looking feller with a seed cap or maybe a John Deere cap.

Hell, he looks a whole lot like my grandpa sitting there in that picture....

I also didn't think you were that old Hay Maker :wink:

Yeah getting long in the tooth,but I still put one or two of these young bucks in place every now and then :wink: ..............good luck

I went baack and looked at the ice tongs.... ICE TONGS HELL!!!!! THAT'S A NAKED LADY NEXT TO THOSE ICE TONGS.....Haymaker....... That's kinky..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Latest posts