• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Haying has started.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Finally! :D

August 5, a nice -8 morning to start a nice day.
P8050535.jpg

Attack!
P8070538.jpg

Crop circles, got about 20 acres cut around the outside of this 80 acre patch. The center is a touch boggy still.
P8080539.jpg

Collision course?
P8090540.jpg

Started the field known as "That rough SOB above the ditch" yesterday. Looking west.
P8090541.jpg

Easterly towards the home place.
P8090542.jpg

A spoiled ranch wife, air conditioning and a new Sirius radio. :D
P8100543.jpg

Finished that rough patch. 13 hours at 2.7 mph. Glad the second worst field is behind the cutter.
P8100544.jpg

With any luck there will be some in round form tommorow.

At least those freezing temps will freeze dry the hay. The paddock doesn't look that rough. 8)

not seeing alot of hay cut here in the moutain meadows, sub still high from all the snow and run off, but most everybody cutting the high spot and still have water running off thier wheels. will find out next week when I get the swather scab back together

Glad it is finally working out for you to get some hay baled. One thing about it, with all the moisture this summer the volume should be very high. May you have some good hay days ahead, with minimal breakdowns. Have fun.

per said:
Hey gcreek are you rollin yet?
http://youtu.be/qCRae5mRoRE

:lol:

Got 35 bales made this afternoon and trained an old skidderman to run a baler. He should work out until payday. :lol:

Might have to give him small draws and a big cheque when we're done, he is an exceptional worker but can be undependable to be at work for a few days if he has much money in his pocket.

gcreekrch said:
per said:

Got 35 bales made this afternoon and trained an old skidderman to run a baler. He should work out until payday. :lol:

Might have to give him small draws and a big cheque when we're done, he is an exceptional worker but can be undependable to be at work for a few days if he has much money in his pocket.

Burnt made it out there? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:
per said:

:mad:

I'll have you know that I was a cutter back in the day. Only drove skidder when the regular driver couldn't keep up.

burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:

:mad:

I'll have you know that I was a cutter back in the day. Only drove skidder when the regular driver couldn't keep up.

No skidder experience then. :wink: A pto and draw bar on a skidder would have made them a useful cross over for small woodlot farmers.

before FWA tractors became popular, i thought that an ag type front end loader mounted on a skidder would be very useful, along with PTO and a drawbar :D

hey PER -i've got the rig for you it's a john deere 440 has a drawbar hydraulic remotes & can be rigged for a pto as the winch is 540 rpm plus it has achieved ANTIQUE status i believe it is 40 -45 years old i have owned it fo about 18 years prior to that another rancher had it.they even plow snow

I've seen skidders rigged up for farm work, but folks tell me they need to be the old standard transmission variety because the powerhift types can't hack the straight ahead go while under load all day.

miocene said:
hey PER -i've got the rig for you it's a john deere 440 has a drawbar hydraulic remotes & can be rigged for a pto as the winch is 540 rpm plus it has achieved ANTIQUE status i believe it is 40 -45 years old i have owned it fo about 18 years prior to that another rancher had it.they even plow snow
Sounds like the ultimate rig. :)

I have finished cutting my home place it looks like the crop will be double last years on the same acreage.approx 5 bales /acre of 4x5 bales over 220 acres next stop is 4 miles up the road to share crop 6o acres of good upland grass hay.then it will be time to pick bales while waiting for the swamp meadow to dry out.and fitting in the local 4H show and sale

the SP disc mower conditioner got here late yesterday, cut a liittle hay last night to get a feel, probally cut more hay on this place that ever been cut in one day...

Latest posts