• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Haying question...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Grandad

Reaction score
I use an HT Pro moisture tester to help determine if I should be wrapping hay up or waiting a while longer to bale. I have always try to keep the moisture content around 15%. Can I get away with a higher moisture content and not have to worry about spoilage in the bale?

I just read that it's not so much the outside moisture that you measure with your tester but if the hay is cured inside. Will it break when you grab a hand full and twist it? If it is cured inside I feel you can get away with a bit higher outside moisture.

BMR,
We must read the same publications. :D Most of this stuff will twist off but there are some spots in the windrows that are still tough. I guess I'm hoping the tough stuff will lay next to some dry stuff and even out. We are having a dry year here (50% of last years crop) but little showers are slowing up the curing process. Was cutting the other day when along comes a downpour. Shutdown, jumped in truck, headed for the yard and was raising dust less than half a mile down the road. Grrr.

If you are baling alfalfa and its cured, which basically means that it has to get below 15%, then ideal baling is between 16 and 18%. Once hay has cured we have baled hay with a dew on it up to 25% and not had any trouble with spoilage.

Latest posts