• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Head wear?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Ok, I normally wear a ball cap, during the summer, and winter. When its bearable, I wear a felt hat. Never wear a straw hat, cause I can't keepem on, and the ones I own are just as hot and heavy as my felt is. This summer my ears sunburn every time I wear a ball cap. I am a bit more concerned about my ears as I get older, so I need advice as to what to wear. I think the ideal thing would be a RED SOLO cup, split in half, and attached to my ball cap :D. Lisa thinks one of those "crusher" hats might be the way to go. I don't really care what it looks like, as long as my ears are protected, its cool, and doesn't way a bunch.

Gilligan had one that worked... :lol:

we had a decent hat for over in the gulf... it worked fine but is still hot in my opinion...

but it might work better then a red solo cup... which is for drinking beer..

Get ya a nice light straw hat. Not all of them are banana weave and real heavy. Some are pretty light and you stay cool while being protected. I gotta go get some sun spots looked at thanks to my ball cap wearing days.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Headwear/Mens-Fishing-Hats%7C/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/104448780/i/103919580/Cabelas-Yellowstone-Breezer-Hat/725716.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmens-fishing-hats%2F_%2FN-1100895%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103919580%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104797080%253Bcat104448780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080%3Bcat104448780%3Bcat103919580

I wear one similer to this one the one I have must be discontinued. Kind of look like a dufus but covers your ears and can breath a bit on the top of your head. You can get the brim to cover your nose pretty good to. I wear sunglasses all the time and my nose gets fried if I don't have good coverage and a layer of sunscreen. My dad used to poke fun at it, but he recently had some cancer basicly scraped off his nose and off his ears, so he don't say to much any more about it. Get one that has an adjustable headband, cause I ordered two others that didn't fit to good.

You could get yourself one of these. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tobar-Relaxdays-256989-Drinking-Helmet/dp/B002IKFPCS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5/277-1914921-0714804

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I6EO3G/ref=asc_df_B004I6EO3G2575500?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-340-86-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B004I6EO3G

Here is the exact one I have. Works pretty good. I like ned jr's though. :D

Dad had the same problem WP, he wore one of those old Fedora type hats.

I wear felt, straw, cap or earflaps depending on my mood and the weather.

thank's for reminding me to dig mine out WP. it's very similar to 3ML&C only the bass-pro version. work's good and i have 4 or 5 years worth of bug spray invested in it :wink: :wink:

Yep, the hats LM&C posted are what she thinks I need to have, and like I said, I am not against it. I still think my Red Solo cup idea would work, and might improve my hearing some.

I have NEVER had problems burning. Ever before now. Sucks to get OLD!!

During Army National Guard basic training in 1972, at Fort Ord, California, my ears got sunburned very badly wearing the army-issued baseball-type caps. That is the only time in my life I've ever worn a cap that didn't have ear flaps, but it was a requirement at the time. The sunburned ears hurt badly enough that it was a lesson well learned. Since then ranching all the rest of my life, it's been a felt hat most of the time, occasional straw hat in the summer time, or a warm cap with ear flaps during the cold part of the winter. So far this plan has worked fairly well except that no purveyors of bull(s) have been able to advertise using my head for a billboard. :wink:

No one should take chances with skin cancer. With skin exposed to the sun without protection of sun screen or shade, we are doing just that! What we didn't know about that in the past can sure come back and bite us! Both of us have at least one or more pre-cancerous lesions that have to be removed at every six months check-up with the dermatologist.

It is much worse when young people have to lose part of their nose, for instance. It is amazing how well that can be repaired with part of an earlobe, though.

Maybe you haven't found the right shape of straw hat. I'll bet there is someone at Youngs' Western Wear in Valentine who could help you find the right fit. I do fault western straw hats for not having enough ventilation. But you can get additional metal grommets put into them. At least I was able to 'retrofit' my old hat, found in a second hand store in Tombstone, with them. Got it done in one of the booths at Cheyenne Frontier Days a couple of years ago. Also had a stampede string put in so I wouldn't lose it in our SD winds. I use it mostly for yard work, and the rare outdoor event where we are not under a grandstand. Styles with ventilation woven into the crown look like they would be the least hot.

Or, you could go the way I saw a guy a few days ago: it appeared to be a terrycloth kitchen dish towel under his baseball cap hanging down all around the sides and back covering his ears and back of his neck. I'll bet it soaked up the sweat that would otherwise have been running down his neck, too.

Seriously, I sure hope you find some tolerable shade soon.

mrj

Maybe you could get a Pith helmet for those times your feeling "Pithy". :wink: :lol: :lol:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/pith_helmet.html?mkwid=sVtFgQibA&crid=14110670541&mp_kw=pith%20helmet&mp_mt=b&gclid=CJTNm7qwhLgCFRHhQgodOh4ABw

Well, my temporary fix, was to punch 4 half inch holes in my old straw hat. Kinda looks like I was shot at from 2 directions, but its a whole bunch cooler then it used to be.

Move north lots of trees and tractors with cabs no need to be in that much sun.

I'm always looking for my next straw hat.....have to try on several hats at several different stores.......has to fit right and have a lot of ventilation holes in it

If it doesn't have a bunch of holes in it you just as well wear yer old felt hat.........lot of the straw hats on the market could hold water if not for the 3 itty bitty grimmet holes on each side

I don't use a stampeed string,but would be handy at times......

I have always used a bandana wrapped around the back of my head, with a ball cap holding it in place.

I've worn a ball cap for too many years so about 10 or 12 years ago I started wearing a straw hat during the summer. Took a while to find the right kind, but there is a vendor at a big farmer's market that we visit every year while at the cottage. Best 20 dollar hats I've spent.

He has a big selection of felts and straws - big weave, tight weave, most with a nice soft, stretchy band sewn in so it keeps that hat secure in a fairly stiff breeze. But it will blow off on the 4-wheeler...

Once I got one with too coarse a weave, nice and breezy but ohmygoodness did I ever get a sunburn through it! :oops: Didn't keep it too long.

pups and bucks said:
I'm always looking for my next straw hat.....have to try on several hats at several different stores.......has to fit right and have a lot of ventilation holes in it

If it doesn't have a bunch of holes in it you just as well wear yer old felt hat.........lot of the straw hats on the market could hold water if not for the 3 itty bitty grimmet holes on each side

I don't use a stampeed string,but would be handy at times......

I'm on the American kick right now...nothing but American straws or felt for me. That being said, Resistol makes a damn good straw in their 10x USTRC Wildfire hat. It has enough ventilation AND a Dri-Lex sweatband, which practically eliminates the need for a stampede string...it WILL stay on your head, comfortably. The only downside is the Dri-lex will begin to stink during the 2nd season. I got almost 2 full summers out of mine until my wife made me get rid of it due to the smell. I will admit, even with Febreezing it, it was pretty damn rank. Right now I wear a 5525 American straw. NRS carries them both.

Latest posts