• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Headed to Denver

Help Support Ranchers.net:

newmexicobound

Reaction score
We decided to make the trip to Denver for the stockshow. Family just bought a small place, only 120 acres out of Canon City so we want to stop and see their place too.
I was just wondering if there is one thing that everyone must see while at the stockshow? Any suggestions?
Hubby has been several times but I never have. He will spend most of his time looking at cows and I'm sure I will look at them too, but I know we will part ways at some point. I know I will shop like crazy but what else should I look for?
Thanks All!

Ankony /44 guys left out today.....you can find them in the Yards and go ck them out.

Shortgrass said:
I'll spend lots of time in the yards, looking at cattle. Just stick to hubby, and you'll see the important stuff :D :D .
Cattle and horses are the #1 and #2 attractions, in that order. :D Kola, where will the Ankony guys be at? Will they have any display stuff up on The Hill? What days will they be there? Thanks.

Thanks you two!
Shortgrass you sound like my hubby! He could look at cattle and tell lies all day long! That's what I call it anyway :D
I have the attention span of a flea so I guess I will have to venture out on my own. Hope I don't get lost in such a big ole place!
We are headed that way sometime next week. Hope the weather isn't too bad.
Thanks again!
Have a good night

The yards to me is the best part of Denver! I love the people and the cattle and just all the activity. Go to the Charlaios Association tent! They are friendly and willing to visit.

I'll agree to go check out Ankony if the Rischels and Tom Hill are there. Nice people and descent :) cattle. If they have the spot they did last year you can't miss them. Right in the front row you walk by them to get to the hill from the yards.

Over where the sales of the carloads is worth seeing too. Plus I enjoyed watching the judging of the various breeds of cattle. Also you have to take in all the merchants up on the hill. There is so much to see and buy in one place! Plus eat!

Have fun. Wear WARM clothing and take shoes you can walk miles in.

Thank ya, CA. Say, maybe we can set up a day where a few of the Ranchers.net folks could get together so's we could put faces with people. I dunno, just a though. Of course, if we did set up a day to meet, the location would be in the yards.

The last time I was to Denver stock show was in 1964 as a member of Kansas State Univ. livestock judging team. I remember we were judging some pens in the carload show and it was so cold in the yards that my ball point pen wouldn't write. Each year I keep saying I am going back but haven't made it yet. I still have a Stetson hat I bought at Miller Stockman on that trip. Maybe next year :(

I leave for my annual weeklong trek to the NWSS on Sunday! Sadly I don't get to spend nearly as much time in the Yards and even on the Hill as I would like.

Here is a link to the NWSS home page...check out the schedule...you will likely never believe all the stuff that goes on there.

http://www.nationalwestern.com/nwss/home/home.php

If you get tired of looking at cattle (I don't... ) and like artwork check out the Coors Western Art Exhibit and Sale. I have never boughten..too rich for my Keystone Light budget, but usually enjoyable to look at.

I always, no matter how little or how much time I have, go to the "Yards Bar" and have a beer and beef burrito. Somehow both taste better in that place. Plus the food and drink is more affordable there! It is in the old Livestock Exchange building. I have a ton of very fond memories of that place (aside from the Yard Bar) as both the Colorado Cattlemen's Assn and Colorado Brand Inspection were both located there when I was a kid. lazy ace likes the scenery of the boot shine girls there too!

Another must see are the horse events in the Coors Event center. Some of the events are a separate admission, but I would do about anything to watch the Grand Prix jumping or Freestyle Reining finals. Both never seem to concur with the schedule while I'm there. :cry: :mad: Last year I spent a relaxing couple of hours watching the prelims of the Grand Prix jumping...now those are athletes!

I also really enjoy the Budweiser Clydesdales, when there are there...quite the display and performance. I also think they have an outstanding rodeo, and would someday like to take in the Mexican Rodeo.

Enjoy your trip to the National Western...and those who recommended you take your most broke in, comfortable shoes, offered great advice. Depending on how much cold you can take, how cold it is, and how much time you plan to spend "in the Yards," I'd dress warm. After several weeks of below zero highs here, 10 above might just feel plumb balmy. But remember, it is a lot nicer to be warm and carry a coat than to be cold without one! Also, if you go on the weekend, take a load of patience in dealing with the crowds of "city" people that seem to take over the place!

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

WOW!!! Thank You all soooo much for the information.
I have already spent a small fortune on Carhartt coats, sweatshirts and socks :oops: I had to order it all online because we don't have any stores within 100 miles that sell heavy winter coats. I have not owned a coat for years, just never needed one here! I know I am going to FREEZE!
I guess this will be money well spent as we plan to relocate to New Mexico or Colorado just as soon as we can and coats are a must there! I'm a desert rat with very thin blood so I guess I better toughen up :D
This is going to be a treat for me. We don't leave this place very often for things like this. We try to go to the finals every year in Las Vegas, it's only 150 miles from us. Hubby usually flys to Denver every year. We didn't go to Vegas last month and saved the money to drive up to Denver. We want to check out some places we found for sale along the way.
I have been trying to get the website to come up for the last couple of days with no luck. Stupid dial-up! I knew you all could give me some insight.
Thanks again everyone!

Wife and I are headed to Denver next week....I enjoy spending the day (on Tuesday) watching them weigh/check in the Angus pen bulls.... I've picked two very good sires in the past following them back to their pen. Generally spend another afternoon on a "Crown Royal" tour of the yards catching up with old friends.

Agree....the old Stockyards Inn Bar has an atmosphere all its own.

It is not always cold....50 degrees is not uncommon in the altitude that's not bad.....when you come from Sub-Zero in Iowa that feels pretty balmy....

You can buy about anything you want in horse or livestock equipment...I bought a new saddle last year...A good place to shop for trailers, waterers, portable corrals etc....

We would be interested in a get together......we'll be there Tuesday thru Friday weather and the Good Lord permitting......

We'll show up either Wednesday or Thursday for the Ranch Horse competition. Prolly also be there this Tuesday for the Angus heifer show.

I'm not going this year as my brother got a new job and won't be there. :cry2:

Stopped at The Yards this afternoon. Cloudy and blustery today, but exhibitors setting up despite the wind.
You must take in the view from the catwalk if you attend the National Western, it's my favorite. I'll try to post more photos once the show opens this weekend.
IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

Big Muddy rancher said:
Thanks for the pictures. Keep'em coming. I can take another winter vacation that way. :wink: :lol:

I agree! And it's probably the only way I'll ever get to see it :?

Clothes....lots of clothes.

Macaroon cookies @ The Brown Palace...A MUST!!!!

My Dad and I are heading out Saturday. I purchased Sunday night Rodeo tickets for him for Christmas. Should be fun as we are right beside the bucking shoots.

We have a bull getting showed on the hill on Monday morning and a part of him sells Monday evening. Hopefully that is fun as well :)

Latest posts