• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

heavy frost

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
hired man almost finished hauling and stacking the last of the meadow yesterday, and I finished cliping off all the 2nd crop alfalfa yesterday. will probally racke it Saturday with the frost on it.

Out in your area on this day in 1971, when I was working for Frome helping with a summer pack trip, we had more than a "heavy frost." We were camped on Trail Creek, north of Turnpin Meadow. On the night of September 1st, we had the darndest lightning storm of my life and at least an inch of hard falling rain. When we awoke the morning of September 2nd, there was six inches of snow on our tents, and another six inches of snow fell throughout that day. It was a cold wet project packing up our camp and making the twelve mile ride out to base camp at the mouth of Box Creek in Turpin Meadow. There were 20 guests and 10 crew on the trip. That snow melted in a few days, and it was a pretty nice fall hunting season until about the last week of October. Then more snow fell, and cold regular old winter set in. On November 1st, as I drove through Kemmer, Wyoming on the way back to Nebraska, the bank thermometer read minus 14.

Soapweed, we have taken quite a few packtrips to the area you wrote about...3 years ago on the last day of Aug we left from Brooks Lake and make it to Shoshone Pass just in time to set up camp and go to bed; only to wake up to 6 inches of heavy wet snow. Plans to break camp waited for 3 days as it would have been ridiculous to pack the extra water weight on our nags. Went out of Turpin Meadows 3 times though---to Saunders Meadow (south end of Yellowstone Meadow), to head of North Fork of Yellowstone for sheep hunting, and to the head of the South Fork too. Amazing country, bet we could swap loads of stories about that country. Got a few friends who worked for Frome too back in the day; man, that country does get some wicked lightning! Been over Marston Pass before?

Soapweed said:
Out in your area on this day in 1971, when I was working for Frome helping with a summer pack trip, we had more than a "heavy frost." We were camped on Trail Creek, north of Turnpin Meadow. On the night of September 1st, we had the darndest lightning storm of my life and at least an inch of hard falling rain. When we awoke the morning of September 2nd, there was six inches of snow on our tents, and another six inches of snow fell throughout that day. It was a cold wet project packing up our camp and making the twelve mile ride out to base camp at the mouth of Box Creek in Turpin Meadow. There were 20 guests and 10 crew on the trip. That snow melted in a few days, and it was a pretty nice fall hunting season until about the last week of October. Then more snow fell, and cold regular old winter set in. On November 1st, as I drove through Kemmer, Wyoming on the way back to Nebraska, the bank thermometer read minus 14.
How long did you work for Frome?

Wyoming Wind said:

I only worked for L.D. Frome during the fall of 1971, from August 23rd through October 31st. Our base camp was at the mouth of Box Creek in Turpin Meadow. One hunting camp was at the foot of Hawk's Rest, near the southeast corner of Yellowstone Park, and our other camp was on up the Thorofare, on Pass Creek, not too far from the Ishawa Cone. I have not been over Marston Pass. It was a great experience for a young fellow not quite twenty years old.

In August of 1975, a friend and I went on a pack trip fishing expedition where we stayed at Saunders Camp for the entire week. His brother was part of Frome's full-time crew. It was a good deal for us, as we were part of the crew for that week. We didn't get any wages, but we didn't have to pay any out-of-pocket money either. :)

In the upper 90sF all last week and 102F yesturday but high today is supposed to be 72F and in the mid 70sF all next week with rain forcast all week - - - sure will feel good for a change!

Combines are all ready and sitting waiting! Son got the new grain cart home Thursday - - - I'm looking for a PTO kit for a 9170 Case International as I don't think the 4650 JD will handle an 870 Bushel cart!

The Grain cart he traded I bought in 1984 and it was the second one sold in Henry County! Still looked as good as the first day but needed new flighting on the discharge auger and only held 475 Bu - - - He got as much in trade as what I paid for it 27 years ago!

Son said if I get a PTO kit for the 9170 he wants to trade again for an 1,100 bu cart - - - at some point things just get to big!

George said:
In the upper 90sF all last week and 102F yesturday but high today is supposed to be 72F and in the mid 70sF all next week with rain forcast all week - - - sure will feel good for a change!

Combines are all ready and sitting waiting! Son got the new grain cart home Thursday - - - I'm looking for a PTO kit for a 9170 Case International as I don't think the 4650 JD will handle an 870 Bushel cart!

The Grain cart he traded I bought in 1984 and it was the second one sold in Henry County! Still looked as good as the first day but needed new flighting on the discharge auger and only held 475 Bu - - - He got as much in trade as what I paid for it 27 years ago!

Son said if I get a PTO kit for the 9170 he wants to trade again for an 1,100 bu cart - - - at some point things just get to big!

Don't some of those big grain cart run on just hydraulic power?

The gates and fold up are on hydraulic but the main auger is PTO and needs a lot of it!

This is a 20" auger and I doubt it could run at full flow with less than 150HP. You start the auger empty then open the gate to allow grain flow after the auger is running and shut the gate before you shut off the auger so it will start empty the next time.

I have had employees shut off the auger without emptying it and you will have to open the bottom gate and let 5 or 10 bushels out on the ground to get the auger started again!

The 4650s will handle all that but I'm not sure I can come up out of some of our bottom fields with more than 1/2 a cart as the old 475 bu cart would cause problems in some of them.

If anyone knows of a tractor salvage yard witha PTO kit for a 9170 let me know.

Soapweed said:
Wyoming Wind said:

I only worked for L.D. Frome during the fall of 1971, from August 23rd through October 31st. Our base camp was at the mouth of Box Creek in Turpin Meadow. One hunting camp was at the foot of Hawk's Rest, near the southeast corner of Yellowstone Park, and our other camp was on up the Thorofare, on Pass Creek, not too far from the Ishawa Cone. I have not been over Marston Pass. It was a great experience for a young fellow not quite twenty years old.

In August of 1975, a friend and I went on a pack trip fishing expedition where we stayed at Saunders Camp for the entire week. His brother was part of Frome's full-time crew. It was a good deal for us, as we were part of the crew for that week. We didn't get any wages, but we didn't have to pay any out-of-pocket money either. :)
I bet that was a pretty fun summer/fall...we love that Yellowstone country, nothing like it anywhere. Just good and wild and no people. We rode right thru the hunting camp at Hawks Rest you mentioned...another outfitter took it over and there are huge platforms built up off the ground to store food/meat away from all the griz. We unaffectionately named Hawks Rest "Hawks Mess"; we rode to the top where there is a radio beacon station up there and then trailblazed back down. All the timber burned in '88 and now is the most criss-crossed nasty timber that you can't hardly even walk thru, let alone ride thru. We've rode down into the upper end of the Thorofare, we want to ride the whole thing maybe next fall. You find lots of petrified wood and arrowheads? Loads of the wood up there, pretty stuff. Fun chatting with you about the area. Saunders Meadow's good springs all dried up; we had to pack water a long ways. We could have moved camp but we were pooped after that long ride in. All this talk and now I want to go camping. Too bad we have 1200 round bales to go stack :)

Latest posts