• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Heifers ("sleepless in the barn" to they figure it

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Gomez

Reaction score
I am curious how other ranchers see their role and responsibility in calving heifers? What is the range from checking on them hourly and/or watching on camera to asking the heifer to figure it out? What's the benefit to doing it your way? What's the cost? Thanks
:)

I prefer to let them do all the work, the first few set the tone. If I have to check every 3 or 4 hours I will. If I have to pull I will. Unproven bulls this year so paying attention is indicated. If it is dry and they are not giving trouble then they will calve on pasture without the benefit of my being there after dark.

Had a heifer calve yesterday while I was at work. Left at 9. Got home at 4. She had the calf. The calf had placenta over it's mouth and nostrils. Obviously DEAD. The heifer was up eating cleanings 10 ft away. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I guess that's the price you pay for having cattle and a job.

jkvikefan said:
Had a heifer calve yesterday while I was at work. Left at 9. Got home at 4. She had the calf. The calf had placenta over it's mouth and nostrils. Obviously DEAD. She heifer was up eating cleanings 10 ft away. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I guess that's the price you pay for having cattle and a job.
You could have that happen if you were gone for 5 minutes.

We had a heifer calving in the barn. Mr. FH doesn't like to stand there
because he says they get nervous and quit trying. So we went out
and sat in the pickup for less than 10 minutes. Went back in to
check on her---sack over it's head--dead calf. :cry:

You can kick yourself all you want to, but they are still dead.
You aren't alone, jk, it just happens. And I bet it has happened
to all of us at one time or another.

Not a good feeling to lose one like that, but not the end of the
world either. I always feel a sharp pain in my heart when we lose
one, but as I said, they are still gone regardless. I've just had
to learn to get over it (but I'm still not very good at it.) :p

per said:
I prefer to let them do all the work, the first few set the tone. If I have to check every 3 or 4 hours I will. If I have to pull I will. Unproven bulls this year so paying attention is indicated. If it is dry and they are not giving trouble then they will calve on pasture without the benefit of my being there after dark.

I'm about the same-- but even tho I used the same bulls as the past 3 years, I'm getting calves with BW's 10-15 lbs over what the same cows had in past years-- and yesterday I pulled the first calf I've had to pull from a heifer in several years... Weighed 91 lbs.. So it looks like I'll have to try and keep a closer watch on the heifers... :?

I think the heavier BW's are because with the deep snow since December- its been the same as if the cows were lotted since they couldn't get around anywhere to graze-and didn't get the normal exercise they usually get grazing the hay meadows- and the fact with the hellacious cold winter we've had the cows/heifers put more of the nutrients into the bloodstream going to the calf.....

And now they are predicting a major spring storm with 40 mph winds and up to a foot of wet snow- and a week of storms.... :(

Oldtimer said:
per said:

I'm about the same-- but even tho I used the same bulls as the past 3 years, I'm getting calves with BW's 10-15 lbs over what the same cows had in past years-- and yesterday I pulled the first calf I've had to pull from a heifer in several years... Weighed 91 lbs.. So it looks like I'll have to try and keep a closer watch on the heifers... :?

I think the heavier BW's are because with the deep snow since December- its been the same as if the cows were lotted since they couldn't get around anywhere to graze-and didn't get the normal exercise they usually get grazing the hay meadows- and the fact with the hellacious cold winter we've had the cows/heifers put more of the nutrients into the bloodstream going to the calf.....
:(

Yea. That's it. Has nothing to do with genetics. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike said:
Oldtimer said:
per said:

I am with Oldtimer on this deal. This winter has definitely brought out heavier birthweights on our calves, straight across the board, first-calf heifers and cows alike. Extra vigilence this year is definitely in order.

Mike said:
Oldtimer said:
per said:

So what do you attribute to the exact cow- bred to the exact same bull (DNA verified) that has BW's of 70lbs two years ago, 74lbs last year- and this year 90 lbs?

And thats what I've seen now with several very same cows- bred identically as they were before....

Thats why I prefer pasture grazing/calving to lotted cattle...But when you have a record over 8 foot of snow in the winter- and a constant 2 foot of snow on the level (let alone 10-20 foot deep drifts)- and cows are essentially fenced into a feedground by snow- its the same as lot calving...
And one of the coldest winters in record hasn't helped especially when its known by most cattlemen that cold weather causes larger calves- the reason BW averages are always more in the northern parts of the country than the southern-- out of identical genetics/bulls....

Gomez said:
I am curious how other ranchers see their role and responsibility in calving heifers? What is the range from checking on them hourly and/or watching on camera to asking the heifer to figure it out? What's the benefit to doing it your way? What's the cost? Thanks
:)
Everything is dependent on the weather. Colder, wetter more checks; Warmer dryer less checks. 90 heifers to calve I'll spend on average 8 hrs a day with them for the 2 weeks of the synch and AI'd ones. Dwindles down after that.
But for the most part, my heifers know me better than the family, and vice versa! :?

The same thing has happened to us and our neighbors. 2 years
same bulls, no problem. The third year was very cold and snowy.
Moreso than usual.
We both noticed our calves were bigger, even though they were
out of the same bulls.

Someone mentioned Mytty Angus had more bw than usual. That
is definitely not a big bw set of cows, so I'm betting they experienced
heavier bw than normal because of the frigid and snowy winter.

The way I figure it, you can never tell with a heifer. She might calve with no problems and walk away from the calf. She might not want to get back up. She might be a perfect mother with no worries. I get up and check them at midnight and again at 4 unless they need checking every two hours. That might be too often but I'll end up awake and worrying if I don't go check. The benefits are happy heifers with healthy calves. The cost is a little sleep. :wink:

I check once a day when I'm feeding. It's amazeing how they can be cows if we let them.12 miles from home $4.00 fuel It does'nt pay to run back and forth with work in the shop that needs getting done.

Soapweed said:
Mike said:
Oldtimer said:

I am with Oldtimer on this deal. This winter has definitely brought out heavier birthweights on our calves, straight across the board, first-calf heifers and cows alike. Extra vigilence this year is definitely in order.

Dittos soap,
Everyone in this area has had big birth weights this year..Even the tried and true purebred outfits.... We'll see what happens with out 58 pound birth weight bull we AIed to... He's never let me down yet in the 5 or 6 years I've used him...

Birthweights are determined by 3 factors -genetics, nutrition during the last trimester, and weather conditions. Cold weather makes the cow put more blood flow to the fetus therefore more nutrition and more development.
To me cows are employees and there are two things I would never leave unattended and supervised for very long - children and employees. Every time you loose a calf you just lost around $350 and no future paycheck. There is no way I would not have my cattle close at hand during calving or someone must be there to supervise. Even with that things can happen but you sure cut the odds.

Denny said:
I check once a day when I'm feeding. It's amazeing how they can be cows if we let them.12 miles from home $4.00 fuel It does'nt pay to run back and forth with work in the shop that needs getting done.

But Denny, with calves at $1000 next fall, one dead calf equals 125 round trips to check on them. :wink:

With last nights wet snow it was every 3 hours. Had a heifer calve this morning that needed help. Calf got part way out and hip locked. Got it out alive. Great mother though.
First heifer this year calved with no problem or help.

Almost lost a calf several years ago. Cow had the calf and was licking it off when the calf quit breathing. Since I had stayed to watch I jumped in the pen with her started rubbing the calf I could feel the heat beat. Grabbed and rolled it over and all the fluid came out and it started breathing and snorting. Just a lucky chance that I was there.
Have found calves dead with no idea how they died.

Have found calves dead with no idea how they died.
yup, and some times it wouldn't of mattered if you was there, if you own livestock you have some dead stock too. think was used to get a little money out of them from the fox or mink man, but then now fur is bad and the fox man is gone

leanin' H said:
Denny said:

But Denny, with calves at $1000 next fall, one dead calf equals 125 round trips to check on them. :wink:

I did that for a few years I'd drive up check nothing going on go home drive back new calves it was like that all the time anymore I just leave them be. Last spring I fed on saturday morning then finished welding and painting a trailer from that I finised alot until 2 am then went to bed. Back in the shop at 6:00AM hooked up and left for Montana at 10 am sunday 1100 miles and back feeding by noon on monday . I had 9 calves while I was gone with no problems not saying thats the best but it works here.

Latest posts