• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

herd pic's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ditto what Jinglebob asked. And what do the cows weigh? What do the calves usually weigh at weaning time? We are trying to get our cows a little smaller, maybe all under 11-1200 range. What do others think is ideal? Our breeding is more or less black angus, red angus, south devon, limousin. Using Leachman stabilizer bulls, mostly.

Isn't it funny how ranch families take so many more photo's of our cattle than of our families?

MRJ

MRJ said:
Ditto what Jinglebob asked. And what do the cows weigh? What do the calves usually weigh at weaning time? We are trying to get our cows a little smaller, maybe all under 11-1200 range. What do others think is ideal? Our breeding is more or less black angus, red angus, south devon, limousin. Using Leachman stabilizer bulls, mostly.

Isn't it funny how ranch families take so many more photo's of our cattle than of our families?

MRJ

most of the mature cows weigh about 1500 lbs, some a little less. We've had them over a ton, but have tried to get away from that. Calves typically wean at 220 days around 600lbs, depending on pasture, weather, etc. Birth weights seem to stay pretty close to 85-95 lbs. The base herd is Blonde d'Aquitaine, but we have been using some red angus bulls on heifers, and some red angus/simmental cross bulls on the cows (as well as purebred blonde bulls).
Oh, and cows and horses are more fun to photograph, and I think that more people are actually interested in other peoples cows than their kids. :)

I figured that there was Blonde, Simmental, Charolais and Red Angus in your herd. Very nice group of cows. Lots of hip in the calves even at a young age. Based on all the Blondes I have seen, you've done a pretty good job at getting your mature cow weights down. Some of the purebred Blonde cows in the industry right now are outright tanks.

I too am more interested in pictures of people's cows than their kids. :D I have to have at least 10 times the amount of pictures of cows than I have of family and friends.

Good looking cattle but maybe alittle big for my taste. Good looking country with lots of shelter. Thanks for sharing.

Nice looking cattle, Silver. Looks like a world of protection with all those trees. Warmth in the winter and shade in the summer. You can't beat a deal like that.

We have some red cows, too. They are Red Angus-Gelbvieh cross, and we breed them to Red Simmental bulls. They sure average out to be bigger cows than our black ones. I always like to see red calves following red cows, and black calves following black cows. We always sort for color before going to grass, and also sort for sex of the calf. We summer all steer calves and their mommas with a neighbor a few miles away, and they are the first to be sold as they are our biggest and best. It is nice to have them all sorted ahead of time, so that we can pre-condition our calves in the order in which they will be selling.

Keeping posting pictures of ranching in your area. It is like having an arm-chair tour of a whole different world.

I have an old friend who was an outfitter in the Yukon for seventeen years. Seems like he went up in that country in about 1967 and came out in 1984. The furthest south that he got in those seventeen years was to Dawson Creek four different times when he needed to buy more horses. His name is Art Mintz, and he now lives in Westbridge, BC. We visited him and his wife, Elva, in June of 2000. They are a great old couple with many exciting adventure and hunting stories.

Looking good Silver! Boy we could have used some of your brush for shelter in the past while....our prairie hills don't cut the wind a'tall. I've heard the Peace country is very dry this spring ....hope that turns around for you. Keep us posted!

Thanks for all the positive feedback folks, it's allways appreciated.

Like you say Soapweed, it is like an arm chair tour. I would like to see more of everyone elses operations too. I allways enjoy seeing how other folks do things, and their country. I enjoyed your branding pics as well, thats quite an invention you got there.

The Peace country isn't dry yet... snow hasn't completely come out of the bush yet. We were pretty saturated with moisture from last fall so we're looking for good grass and good hay this summer. Let's hope thats the case anyway.

My dad had the flu one January, and while he was house-bound and bored, he got the idea of having a local cattle tour to see how area ranchers were wintering their cattle. He mentioned the idea to the Bennett County South Dakota extension agent, and got cooperation from that standpoint. The first tour was held close to twenty years ago, and quite a few ranches were on display that day. My mother served the dinner for approximately forty participants of the first tour, and food was donated by area banks and businesses.

It seems like there were four tours affiliated with Bennett County, and then while Dad was a director on the board of the Sandhills Cattle Association, headquartered in Valentine, Nebraska, he presented his idea to them. They took up the tours, and close to fifteen annual events have been held in January of each ensuing year. Some of the days have been a bit brisk, but so far none of the tours have had to be cancelled due to the weather. It is always fun and intesting to check out different cattle operations, and a person always picks up some good ideas by seeing how other people do things.

They say pictures are worth a thousand words. Hopefully more pictures of different cattle programs will start to be posted on Ranch Talk. Sounds good to me.

Nice cows Silver. I take a camera with me where ever I go, so it is easy for me to post some pictures, I even took a bunch of pictures today on our neighbors place of their Herefords! They buy all of their bulls, at least used to , from Canada, they don't like all of the Line 1 breeding down here, they are good cattle, I would love to put my Gelbvieh bulls on them this spring. Heterosis do your thing! I will try to post pictures when I have more time.

Latest posts