• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

hereford bulls...horned or polled

Help Support Ranchers.net:

scout said:
justin what soapweed said about pigment is more important than horned or polled is absoultely true both are hereford bulls have pigment around the eyes and there scrotums are pigmented and 85% of are calves carry those traits . even though sun burnt udders aren't a issue in this country because the cows are standing in the creek in the summer due to the endofyte in the the fescue around here

Sunburned teats are not an issue in the summer time. It happens after a spring snowstorm when the sun comes out warm and bright. The snow reflects the sun's rays up under the cow, and with Herefords you can have big problems. This is probably the number one reason I went to Angus cows years ago.

Doug Thorson said:
Soapweed, what have your observations been about sunburned udders? I feel tight udder attachment basically eliminates the problem. I have never had a cow that I had to treat from sunburn, but I have been close on some big sloppy bag cows. They stood only because they knew they should so about another 1/2 day of sunshine would have caused a wreck. The cows that were tight bagged and small teats seemed to be ok.

ps I do breed for pigment on both udders and eyes.

Tight udder attachment helps immensely, but it is not a one hundred percent deal. Pigment is more important.

novatech said:
er herf said:
Won't see a horned bull dragging his tool threw the weeds. Most of the bulls I sell go on black cows and these customers wont use polled bulls. Wonder why????
So are you saying all poled bulls have bad sheaths? Are you saying all horned bulls have good sheaths? I didn't realize there was any connective tissue between the two. :lol: If you are, put in the list of old wives tales.
If your customers won't use poled bulls it's because they still live in the dark ages and listen to people that still live in the dark ages.
You are kinda out of line insinuating my customers live in the dark ages. They sold there calves two months ago and topped the market with above average pay weight and the brockle faced heifers out sold the steers. Thats no wives tail, that is real world payday. As for me being in the dark ages, call me what you want, but maybe you should see the cattle before making a judgement.

DSCI0053.jpg
DSCI0048.jpg
[/img]

this is a steer and a hfr from are fall herd in 2007 . they are out of simmy angus cows and the hereford bulls . I guess its what works for me good luck justin

er herf said:
novatech said:
er herf said:
Won't see a horned bull dragging his tool threw the weeds. Most of the bulls I sell go on black cows and these customers wont use polled bulls. Wonder why????
So are you saying all poled bulls have bad sheaths? Are you saying all horned bulls have good sheaths? I didn't realize there was any connective tissue between the two. :lol: If you are, put in the list of old wives tales.
If your customers won't use poled bulls it's because they still live in the dark ages and listen to people that still live in the dark ages.
You are kinda out of line insinuating my customers live in the dark ages. They sold there calves two months ago and topped the market with above average pay weight and the brockle faced heifers out sold the steers. Thats no wives tail, that is real world payday. As for me being in the dark ages, call me what you want, but maybe you should see the cattle before making a judgement.
Never said a thing about your cows. Never said poled would bring more money. I am saying your mental attitude about poled is in the dark ages. There are plenty of genetics to choose from. I would not advocate anyone changing direction in mid stream. I do not have poled cattle. But I would not through them out of the selection list just because they are poled.
"Wonder why????" No I don't. I know why. Because you have made good choices in selecting the right genetics. You could apply the same choices to poled if you took the time to look at the genetics that are available today.

I have no problem with a polled or horned bull. The best quality will no doubt be the best bovine. I feel that Shorthorn bulls compliment a predominanty angus program as well as any bull if you use the right kind. I raise shorthorns and have a commercial herd that are serviced by Shorthorn and half blood bulls that are selected for by calving ease and udder quality followed by longevity and perfomance. I too feel like I can look my bull buyer's in the eye and tell them they got a bull that will make them money and leave a legacey of good cows in their herd. Steer feedouts prove to be a good venture as well. A three way british cross is an avenue too few cattlemen have looked into as it can be a great way to generate dollars in an ever tougher marcketplace.

It's not necessary polled or horned but the breeders who breeds them-both sides of the hereford coin in Canada shot themselves in the foot big time the last twenty years tried to match simmental-the simmental breed increased market share by becoming more practical frame size and birthweight while for the most part Hereford breeders increased frame, increased bw and lost most of their doing ability and bled market share because of it. Thank god some breeders didn't follow the fads and kept Hereford cattle that work-you might drive by Harris, sask for polled cattle and Hussar,Alta for the horned deal. We run horned cattle but there are guys I'd buy a polled bull from. I bought some polled cows when I was 11-it took alot of summerfallow and rockpicking at $2 an hour to pay for them but they were good thick productive cows.

Who is in Harris NR? I wouldn't mind picking up a Polled bull. It's just so very hard to find some practical Polled genetics nowadays.

None other than ranchers own cowsense!! Nicky has a nice 8020 son in Oregon ifd youtr up for a road trip. Brian Simon in the Dakotas has a good herd of cows-never seen them in person but they look good from the pics I've seen.

What cattle are best is asking what problems do you like to deal with. I sure like the horned herford, but I've seen some good polled herds. Like soap says, I do not like to deal with eye and bag problems. Herfords will bring that with them. I use the Char bulls on Char cows, but they have their problems too. Pound are not, but breed back can be, but I've learned to get along with them on that issue. 2%open last year. I really like the yellow white face cattle that the Char Herford produces, but do not like the eye and bag problems that I would have to deal with. Those black baldies are hard to argue with any way you breed them. If I were to put a herford bull out, I would look for the pigment around the eyes, he'll be worth evey extra cent he costs. Free advice is too!! :D :D :lol:

Latest posts