• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

herefords bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusCowBoy

Reaction score
Just curious to know, what you guys think some of the better hereford bull breeders are in ND, SD, and MT, looking for bulls with some good growth, but want to keep them fairly moderate sized, and with good maternal bloodlines to get some good heifers out of as well as good steers, would be going on a select set of angus cows to make replacements. Polled or horned doesn't matter, just need good bulls, watched some videos of the mrnak bulls, but they looked really framey.

AngusCowBoy said:
Just curious to know, what you guys think some of the better hereford bull breeders are in ND, SD, and MT, looking for bulls with some good growth, but want to keep them fairly moderate sized, and with good maternal bloodlines to get some good heifers out of as well as good steers, would be going on a select set of angus cows to make replacements. Polled or horned doesn't matter, just need good bulls, watched some videos of the mrnak bulls, but they looked really framey.
I would get your hereford genetics from a can, and cleanup with angus. Real good herefords are few and far between and the angus genetics are light years ahead of herefords as a total package and being widely available. I asked about this a year ago and ai'd my cows to Domino 3027 based off some recommendations pn here. If you are willing to drive, there are some really good hereford breeders, including on here. Look up some of Neil or Doug's bulls and you'll be impressed.

One That I know of in ND is Topp Herefords,They have a web page and a Bull sale coming up 2/4/13 Have never bought a bull from them only used AI sire. The other you might look at is NJW Herefords in WY. same there Have used AI sires of theirs.

Mrnak Hereford, Bowman, ND would get my vote. they have been in the business a very long time. good cattle and great people.

I am having a sale Feb 12th at Philip Livestock. I focus on the maternal side of the deal. Hybred vigor will give you the growth but the wrong type of Hereford can wreck the replacements.

Lot4_zpscbe938f5.jpg

Lot7x2_zpsc22b7752.jpg

Lot29_zpsa5ebe5e7.jpg

A few examples of what I have for sale. If you want a catalog either PM me or go to thorsonherefords.com for more info.

Justin said:
Mrnak Hereford, Bowman, ND would get my vote. they have been in the business a very long time. good cattle and great people.

Justin, have you ever seen those bulls in person, in the videos, they look quite big, but just wondering if there a little smaller in person?

I have a bull from Ace (hereford76 on here) and I can not be any happier with another bull... I like the calves he throws, I like the growth, and it is a gently easy going bull.

Black Cattle Rancher was 1/2 right...get your Hereford genetics from a can, and clean up with another Hereford bull...

this idea that Angus is ahead of everyone is bunk. better marketing and smoke and mirrors does not make for better genetics.

check out herefordamerica.com they have a bunch of people from up that way to look through that have good stock

WB said:
AngusCowboy: You say you are going to keep relacements. What do you hope to improve over what you have now?

I would like to get alittle bit easier fleshing cows, we have been straight angus for a long time, so the calves haven't been weighing up as good as it used to either, would like to get some more heterosis into the herd, would also like to try get a little bit more moderate cows, as the straight angus cows we have are starting to get a little to big with the genetics most angus are nowadays.

The reason I asked was I grew up on a registered and commercial Hereford operation. We use more Angus than Hereford bulls mostly because of the reasons you are wanting to use a Hereford bull so one needs to becareful. It is possible that your current cows are too big for your environment and the calves are lighter because your environment just can't support a large cow and the milk she needs to produce to raise a larger calf I don't know without more info.

Not to start a fight but just what size of cow would you consider ideal for your environment?

WB said:
The reason I asked was I grew up on a registered and commercial Hereford operation. We use more Angus than Hereford bulls mostly because of the reasons you are wanting to use a Hereford bull so one needs to becareful. It is possible that your current cows are too big for your environment and the calves are lighter because your environment just can't support a large cow and the milk she needs to produce to raise a larger calf I don't know without more info.

Not to start a fight but just what size of cow would you consider ideal for your environment?

I would say right around 1300 pounds, right now most the cows are in the 1400s with some well over that but also some under, and the ones under seem to hold there weight better than the larger ones

If your cows are currently 1400 you are going to have a hard time downsizing them using a Hereford bull. JMO Remember heterosis will increase your mature size. You will most likely wean heavier F1 calves but will likely build a larger factory that will cost more to maintain.

We downsized our straight angus that were getting too big. We just
watched the YW on the bulls and selected for MODERATE bulls. It's
not easy to do because everyone likes the biggest ones.....but it can
be done and it doesn't take all that long either. Watch the YW, watch
the milk and select for more maternal. FWIW

Funny how defensive the angus mafia gets when somebody even mentions Herefords.....LMAO....good luck with your search

nortexsook said:
Funny how defensive the angus mafia gets when somebody even mentions Herefords.....LMAO....good luck with your search

I didn't see where anybody got defensive. :?

You Hereford guys must be paranoid. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have 3 bulls from Ace and are very happy with both our main herd bulls and the heifer bull we got from him.

Latest posts