• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Herefords

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Juan

Reaction score
Lots of interest in Hereford here in SD.
Sat.Carmichael Hereford sold yearling bulls for a 6000+ave.2's ave.3900.
The"COW THAT WON THE WEST"is coming back!

I think the hereford and Polled hereford have some terrific things to contribute to a cattle herd. Especially if you have the newer kind instead of the "horses" a lot of guys made in the 80s. I averaged $3000.00/head on baby bull calves last fall at public auction. Thanks to all that recognize what a good hereford can do for a herd. Have a good night from Canada.

Was unable to make the Mrnak Herefords sale this year but watched on dvauction.com
Great looking cattle, again! Shouldn't have watched though. Bought a heifer again this year. Brought home one last year and our current herd bull carries the Mrnak's prefix. I love those Dakota 0230 calves!!!
Great people, excellent cowmen, good sound functional cattle and a great sale!!
Can't beat a white face.

certherfbeef

Yeah for Herefords!! If I ever get it on, I have a very cute calf picture. Is anyone going to Coopers sale?

I went to the salebarn last Saturday, and there was a little package of Hereford hiefiers bred back to a Hereford bull and they sold as well as any angus hiefiers there... Herefords were Hot...The only herefords that didn't sell as well was some rednecked herefords... Old cows were bringing a heck of a price... After watching this sale the better buys are hiefiers if any....

Some of the best selling herefords anywhere are the feather-necked kind and not the dark google-eyed, rednecked type at all that the "clicky" purebred guys seem to look for. I certainly try to keep both kinds for the two types of buyers as usually the buyer who likes one kind will completely pass over the other kind and vise-versa. Glad to see the good herefords getting some action again. Some of us have worked really hard at restoring buyer confidence in this breed. Have a good day all!

Afriend of mine and I were talking after driving thrugh Baker County last fall. I am not anti anything, but my observation was that the herefords are the are very inconsistent from one herd to the other. Saw everything from desert rats to Simmental lookers.

I have a friend in Halfway Oregon that breeds them. I was thinkin the other day about this. They are known as gentle giants, but it seems to take awhile for them to hit this size.

This isn't a slam as I have bought a lot of broken mouth bred hereford cows and done well. Some breeders have done a lot in this breed, just an observation.

PPRM

The great thing about the herford breed is the breeders left are real herdsmen. 10th generation progeny are likely well bred.

When buying Angus, there are many new converts that don't understand their genetics. In any seedstock purchase, its a good feeling when you hear "well my grampa pretty well cleaned up the bad udders and weak bellies, so we don't see much of that."

BradS said:
The great thing about the herford breed is the breeders left are real herdsmen. 10th generation progeny are likely well bred.

When buying Angus, there are many new converts that don't understand their genetics. In any seedstock purchase, its a good feeling when you hear "well my grampa pretty well cleaned up the bad udders and weak bellies, so we don't see much of that."

Except when they tell you their cows are so docile they can walk among them and stuff teats into calves mouths so they suck....I thought calves always did that on their own!!

I hope this doesn't make some people mad.

I grew up with herefords. But because my dad didn't cull very well and was always trying to expand we always had to sew several up before they calved. And dad wouldn't sell breechy ones so we always had some with twisted wire pokes or cans on their necks. Even tied the fork of a green ash tree to some. If he had just sorted the replacement heifers when they were sucking the cow we could have done away with the prolapses in a couple of years. Just anotyher lesson I learned from my dad!

I am sure that there are good herefords out there, but there sure ain't any around my country. 'Course I don't like many of the cattle around here as they all are so big any more. I'd rather have smaller cows who are more efficient. But thats just me.

We have a neighbor who tried for quite a few years to get me to come and buy one of his hereford bulls. I have always said that I feel that horned hereford bull got out and did the best job of breeding, so I told this feller that I would come buy a bull if he fit my criteria.
1 He had to have red around both eyes.
2 He needed to be daqrk red with little or no white on his neck
3 All of the heifer calves born from him should be born with the prolapse stiches in place!

He took it real well and knew I was teasing him.

We've run most all colors of yearling cattle and I was afraid of the pink eye problem we were going to have with the whitefaces, but when all was said and done we had the same percentage or fewer bad eyes with the whitefaces as any others.

Again, I hope I don't make any hereford breeders mad. Best cows I ever owned were F1 Hereford x Longhorns. Raised good calves and lasted a long time and were good rustlers.

Don't worry Jinglebob, I don't think you be able to upset any of the Hereford people on here...cept maybe whiteface as she probably has more pride in the whitefaces then anyone else I know. :p

Even though I am a Hereford breeder, I have no problem slamming the Hereford breed or its breeders. When you witness this breed go from a maternal breed, to a paternal breed and then to mix-of-both/accomodate-every-one breed, it is enough to make your blood boil.

Most of the show breeders are all too willing to name all the great things about the Hereford breed, particularly their success in the showring...but are quick to dispell any facts that may harm its image, even though the Hereford breeders haven't come far in resolving the breed's faults. Such as:

~We don't have a tight range on birth weights. I know some breeders that are aiming for 60-70 lb calves and some that see nothing wrong with 130 pounders. I know one nearby breeder that has a good pension and doesn't care if he had 6 calves in the 150lb range last spring...because the money was there for the c-sections.

~We don't have ample milk flow figured out. We are all over the place on that one, and it is one of the biggest complaints I here from commercial guys.

~We don't penalize those breeders who taint the breed with other breeds. We are still allowing registrations on older bulls who have 'questionable' backgrounds.

~We don't represent the commercial cattleman. I figure about 60% of the breeding in Canada is done on the basis of show. Therefore, cattle are bred on the basis of markings and 'prettiness', as so aptly defined in Southern Ontario.

~We don't know anything about the correlation between pigment and pinkeye. Our commercial herd is about 40 straightbreds, and we have more pinkeye problems in most years then surrounding 100 head purebred Charolais or Angus herds.

One thing I think we have moderately accomplished is attacking prolapses. I don't here about prolapses in Herefords as much as I used to when I started in them.

One thing that almost has me going completely Horned Hereford, is the rising prevalence of creep feeding in the Polled Herefords. I get the oddest looks when I go to shows and say that I am a Polled guy that doesn't believe in creep feeding. I have met some of the juniors from some very respected Hereford families who have grown up believing that you HAVE TO creep feed Polled Herefords, because that is what Daddy and Grandpa do.

I don't go to many of the purebred shows or sales as I generally get ignored and on some level, despised, for hammering the Polled guys on their programs and their DNA, which seems to contain a gene that automatically makes them susceptible to showrings and red banners with 'Grand Champion' on them.

I occasionally show myself, but I stay away from the grain pails. My cattle go in the ring and are usually near the bottom. It keeps my name in the mouths of others even if I get last place. Could not care less whether it is good comments or bad about my cattle, as I know what they are comparing them too. I focus on winning commercial guys over, one person at a time.

I sold 1/4 of my herd in 2002 to a commercial guy that told me last October, as he sold his third crop of calves off those cows, that he hopes to buy more this year.

I sold my first 2 year old bull in 2003, guaranteed the bull as a easy calver....the owner never saw any of the calves born, but enjoyed the 500lb + April calves last October.

I sold my first bred heifer in 2002 to the man I bought my first Hereford from. I check in on her at least once a year and she has raised a 700lb + calf every year, beating every single cow, purebred or commercial in his 20-head herd.

I also try to help out producers by allowing them to pay for their purchases in payments (without interest) or lump sums, because I know how hard it is for the average commercial guy to afford a $1200 heifer or $1800 bull. Heck, it's even hard for me to justify laying out $2000 in one shot on a yearling bull.

In the end, have faith in the Hereford breed. There are breeders out there (although they are few and far between) that are breeding for the commercial cattleman. You just have to do your homework and see how their cattle have worked for the old gent down the road who doesn't have time for show cattle.

:)

If I told you guys how many and what kind of cows I had you'd all laugh! But the bottom line is what i heard an ol' cowman who runs down in the rough badlands/rez country say, " I didn't get these cattle to make a livien for them, I got them to make a liven for me!"

All I want is an efficient cow who doesn't weigh over 1000 lbs and weans off 50% of her own body weight each and every year on grass, salt and water. For at least 10 years.

If I gott'a raise grain to feed her I'll just go to straight farmin' as it has better hours and I think it pays better also, to look at my neighbors who do it and the equipment they use and pickups they drive!

Aaron I have read your posts off and on for a while but the one you wrote in this thread really hits the nail on the head. The Hereford breed has taken quite a tumble in Canada from 15 years ago. Bull sales tell the tale. Some breeders have toughed it out but a a lot have moved on.

Sounds like you are well on your way to figuring it out but keep working on the basics and best of luck!

The whiteface is dominant and how!...Next door neighbour was purebred Horned Hereford producer for about 15 years who switched to South Devon about 8 years ago. Even after 3-4 generations of South Devon, they still get whitefaces in about 1/4 to 1/2 the herd.

Not sure what a feather-neck is??...But I'll assume for the moment that it is just another term for the white neck. As far as I have ever observed, white necks are dominant and red ones recessive. It's very easy to get even a fleck of white, then a completely solid coloured red neck. I hate red necks, only have a couple purebred cows with them and I wish I didn't. Give me a big 'ole 6 inch band of white across the neck anyday.

Jinglebob........You better get your head out of your a-- and look around! You right in the middle of some of the best Hereford country in the world.
Question for Aaron.Do the polled herefords still have the weak retractor muscles on the penis? Had a neighbor years ago with polls and thats the way his bulls were,just like the angus!!!!I think with all the infussion of exotic blood the angus are getting better about that.As far as I can see most of them don't even have the angus eye!

[/quote]Never under any circumstance take sleeping pills and a laxative on the same night!
Remember a lone amateur built the Ark and a group of professional built the Titanic!

Northern Rancher;
Yes, I'm about 60 miles out on the praire from the Black Hills. Spent the night in the middle of them last night, with my son who is helping to build a log home and I hated it! Too many trees. Makes me claustrophobic! Pretty country , but they all moving in and building there so it's only a matter of time untill they ruin most of the views.
I have Longhorn cross on about everything. Maybe don't raise quite as heavy of a calf but they take care of them and themselvesd and don't seem to need as much tending. Just got a few. Everytime I start to get my herd built up along comes a drought or something to cut down the herd. Been running stockers fro some guys and untill last year seems like it was more profitable than running them on shares with the bank. I did sell one heifer calf this fall that weighed 635, but I think her mother is a Pinzagauer. Nice cow who is in good shape all the time and built pretty square. I never did see how longer legs made cattle any heavier!

Juan;
We only have one hereford breeder close by and he has all of their heads in a feed bucket so they are not the kind of cattle I want to run. Got a neighbor up north of me that probably has as good or better herefords as anyone and we might have to make a deal on a bull this fall. I like horned herefords and don't want them polled. An old feller west of here always claimed when you cut the horns off from a herford cow you just made them stupid! I think he might have been right. Although horns are a pain when trying to get them down a chute. You'll have to give me a call Juan so we can talk and you can tell me where all these good herefords are in this country!

Bought a few horned and polled herefords about a year ago. They were a year old. I did everything I could to tame them down but they just go wild when people get too close. Some of them had calves. One needed to be pulled. I think she is more fit to be a rodeo bull the way she acted. She is a good mother.

Latest posts