• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Herefords

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BarMJ

Reaction score
I'm trying to gather as much information as I can for my first cattle purchase in July '06. I would like to raise purebred herfs or possibly herefords crossed to angus. What I want to find out right now is what people think of some of the Hereford bloodlines and bulls. I'm very interested in pedigrees and genetics and trying to learn what I can. All information and opinions are welcome!

thanks

Hereford Cows have raised Black Baldie calves forever. black Baldies are as tough of a calf as there is.........I always hated flanking a black Baldie, would rather go into an Alley in a tough nieghborhood in New York, Well, not really, but they are tough.

That being said, the herefords I see vary soo much. You fill do yourself and the breed a favor if you really cull hard for the things that have plagued Herefords reputations. Bad Udders, Bad Eyes and slow Growth are the things that are the negative stereotypes. Not necessarily true, but with that perception, you have to be extra Vigilant.....

I have bought a lot of Herefords, The bias towards Angus can make them a buy...There will always be a market for Baldies, talk about tough moderate cattle......Baldies Rock,

I will ask, why the interest in Herefords vs other breeds? I have seen a lot of nice Herefords, so don't take that as a knock, just a question you should ask yourself,

PPRM

If you want good Herefords, in your country I suggest go visit Thomas Herefords at Gold Creek. Dutton Herefords is in that general area too. Both breeders will be glad to help you out and they have good cattle. Probably even better than good.

And yep, Black Baldies ROCK! :wink:

PS,

Some of th nicest Herefords I have seen are in Baker County, Oregon. Dave Bird in Halfway, Oregon had exceptional Cattle. i haven't seen them in 15 years, but I do remember them. Harrel Hereford Ranch in Baker City has a good reputation also,

PPRM

so PPRM, you asked why I was interested in Herefords and I had to stop and think about that a second. First I thought, " I like the way they look". Then I wondered if that was a valid reason to get into a breed.

You see, I do want to raise cattle because of all the careers I can think of, I feel that it would be the most worthwhile for me. Something I want to invest my life in. But, realistically it is after all a career, so I need to make money, a profit hopefully. Now with the " I need to make money" part resolved, can I afford to be sentimental? (I guess you would say) Can I choose to start raising a breed of cattle just because I like them?

So I guess the conclusion I came to is, I need to do more research. Look into market prices maybe? Compare breeds to see what brings the most in my area. I would in the end prefer my Herefords, but I guess I need to be realistic.

Wow, I kind of went on a philosophical trip there, lol. I'll try to be less serious in the future!

p.s. anyone know how I can get a realistic idea of what cattle are worth?

Take a trip to your local salebarn, just sit and watch, see what type cattle do the best. And there are lots of folks to talk to there.
I wouldnt recommend buyin cows from a salebarn, but you'll get an idea of what kinda calves are goin thru there and what they are bringin

Barmj,

The great thing about the cattle industry is there is a market for a variety of beef that is raised, Everthing from Prime plus Wagyu's to Lean Limosiun,

So part of the key is to decide which kind of cattle do well in the area you live. There are a variety, the second part is to search for a market that gives premiums. In the Northwest, we are on a grid system for a large part. It reward Choice and Prime and discounts selct. A lot of the Saler and limosiun folks senf there cattle to feed in the midwest where there are programs that reward select.

If someone says they like quality beef to eat, it doesnt mean a thing to me. For some it is very fat marbled, for others Quality is 95% lean Hamburger,

Point I'm trying to make is, don't let one question on a forum deter you, but do evaluate why you want a certain cow. If i liked Hereford cows, I might very well be buying Angus bulls and specialize in raising Black baldie calves. In our country, I can preg framy Hereford cows from the Sale and put together a pretty good group of bred cows, Puts me a couple of years from all Black Baldie Calves to market, but I will get a lot in the meantime.....

I would also learn a ton about nutrition, specially minerals, a poor mineral program will cut you off at the knees,

Then there's Animal health, lol,

Good Luck,

PPRM

Hereford's are a nice breed of cattle, my dad and father-in-law raises them, and the black baldies always bring a nice price here in the sandhills of Ne. Why we even have buyers from Iowa that come down just for the hereford calves every year. But they do have bad eyes and what not. Make sure you ask for their doctorin' records as well as pedigrees. Hubby and I have herefords at his dad's and red angus here where we live. But I still like to see them red and white faces when we travel and know that if you get the right stock they can be as gentle as a lamb and still raise great calves!!

Nicky posts some great pictures of herefords, including that calf running with its tail in the air,

PPRM

Bar MJ- I might be biased as we raise registered herefords as well as running a baldie program with our commercial cattle. The Hereford breed up here is seeing a resurgance as breeders look to something to outcross their Angus and exotic cows to. The breed itself as a whole has improved greatly . Take some time and visit some local PB breeders-ask questions and see if their cattle are what you want. Often these people can set you up with breeding packages and can assist you with some management as well as marketing assistance for your herd. Buy or lease the best quality cattle that you can afford(quality sells!); insist on quiet docile cattle (Most Herefords fit here) as you probably won't have much in the way of facilities to start with; and keep an open mind when it comes to learning about cattle! Ask around about the breeders herds that interest you; good quality cattle and honest breeders will have a good local reputation and purchasing there should avoid the problems of dealing with "cowtraders". The right cattle will make a big difference in determining whether you will be sucessful in your new venture!

Reading this reminded me of when we moved to W. Montana in 1975. We had no corrals and one of our Hereford bulls needed treated for something (imagine that?). Anyway, my husband roped the bull, who was pretty big and dallied around a post. When the rope came tight, the bull walked right up to the post.

To our amazement, he was halter broke. Pretty nice suprise with the facilities we didn't have. :lol:

Faster horses said:
Reading this reminded me of when we moved to W. Montana in 1975. We had no corrals and one of our Hereford bulls needed treated for something (imagine that?). Anyway, my husband roped the bull, who was pretty big and dallied around a post. When the rope came tight, the bull walked right up to the post.

To our amazement, he was halter broke. Pretty nice suprise with the facilities we didn't have. :lol:

Reminds me of the time I helped Dad to "cast" a bull by tying a bowline knot around the throat and then a half hitch around the flanks and the brisket. We pulled steady and pretty soon the bull laid down. I held the rope while Dad doctored the bull.

The bull was tied up to the fence when we did all of this, or at least while we got the rope put on. Then I think Dad turned him loose from the fence while we pulled the rope, so he wouldn't choke when he went down.

Only time I've ever done this but it sure worked slick. I have since read about it in a vet journal of some sort.

Black baldies do rock! As everyone knows I like herefords. PPRM - thanks for saying nice things about my pictures! Birds cows are of the LARGE variety 1800 lbs isn't unusual (was going to post that on the funnel butts thread) but they are on irrigated pasture and fed alot. Harrels have good cows and a commercial program that works. I think you see alot of variety in all breeds, it just depends how hard you look :wink:
We like the Line 1 cattle, have been AIing to Cooper and Holden bulls lately. Just be sure to go look at the cowherd and see if it is run similar to how you will run yours. Good luck and welcome to the cattle business :)

Here is an 1800+ 7 frame hereford. Nothing but grass and hay. Only time feed is in the bunk behind her is to hold them long enough to latch the gates in the trap behind them. She is polled and I will admit a mite easier fleshing than the horned herfs. But the horns are looking pretty plump and heavy bred about now too. I wouldn't say that she is hachet assed but this cow is one of my favorites...I appologize for sticking in the picture. :oops: We run some baldies too. Have to say I like the hybred vigor that comes with the cross.
IMG_1641.jpg

Nicky,

I guess Dave's cows have framed a little since I saw them, they were large but either my memory is foggy or they wer large, but not that large. I do remember them being thick and having capacity. My dad was actually a childhood friend of Dave's growing up in Joseph. Dave was always a Black and white straight shooter kind of guy. He was also a Principle and my Father In Laws Boss. My Father In law was a huge believer of Disciplinary action for kids in school, so he got along with Dave real well. My Father In Law ended up coaching Wrestling at Pine-Eagle and while strict, the kids knew how much he cared and seemed to like the heck out of him. Kids from other schools think a lot of him to. Atarting to ramble...

My wife loves the picture of the calf. If it was up to her, we'de have fields of Hereford and Black Baldie calves 13 months a year,

Don't think that would grow old for me either,

PPRM

Yea, dad had a hereford bull call the Dutchman, and he was so gentle that us kids could ride him and he didn't mind one bit. Besides he threw some really nice calves, dad had him for several years. :) :wink:

That reminds me of our daughter's first market steer in 4H. He was a polled hereford. She called him, "Buddy" and he was. She had kind of a broncy colt and this Hereford steer. She'd go down to excercise them and darned if she wouldn't ride the steer and lead the colt!! We have pictures for proof!

At the fair all the kids rode Buddy around the fair grounds (enclosed pens, not loose among all the people). There was a lot of tears the night of the sale, and they weren't just hers. Looking back now, I wish we would have just took him home and kept him.

Latest posts