• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey gcreekrch

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Keagan M

Reaction score
Im got some questions about your opreation as i think it is very nicely setup ,how many head of cattle are your running and how many bales do you have to make in order to feed them also do you feed protein suppliment cake and minerials and do your cows have a shelter they can go in in the winter.thanks

I was taught it is rude to aske how many cows, how many acres , how much money do you make.....know a few ranchers or farmers the really be offended and others that that will gladly tell you :wink:
Here it too many to take care of by my self and not enough when it is time to pay all the bills.

I was taught it is rude to aske how many cows, how many acres , how much money do you make.....know a few ranchers or farmers the really be offended and others that that will gladly tell you
Here it too many to take care of by my self and not enough when it is time to pay all the bills

Agree! Hate when i go to town and somebody that has no clue asks "How many cows do you have now?" Thats like asking "How many hours a week do you work and how much do you get paid an hour?"

eatbeef said:
I was taught it is rude to aske how many cows, how many acres , how much money do you make.....know a few ranchers or farmers the really be offended and others that that will gladly tell you
Here it too many to take care of by my self and not enough when it is time to pay all the bills

Agree! Hate when i go to town and somebody that has no clue asks "How many cows do you have now?" Thats like asking "How many hours a week do you work and how much do you get paid an hour?"

I tell them "How much money do you have in the bank?" Upsets me
when we are asked how many cows do we have. And now we have none
and I still don't like to tell them.

Keagan M said:
Im got some questions about your opreation as i think it is very nicely setup ,how many head of cattle are your running and how many bales do you have to make in order to feed them also do you feed protein suppliment cake and minerials and do your cows have a shelter they can go in in the winter.thanks

More than most and less than many. :wink:

Now I'll let you do some math.

Our bred cattle eat 30 to 35 lbs of hay every day of the winter. Winter can be as short as 135 days and as long as 200. If we are short of hay we either cut the numbers back or buy hay if it is reasonably priced. I started cutting hay today and don't expect to be done until the first week in October. Time flies at 3 to 4 mph in the hay meadow.

We do supplement our cows with lick tubs when they are rustling their own living in late fall/early winter because of lower protein in the feed and expectation for a cow to find her own lunch in up to a foot of snow and sometimes -30 temps. Experience has let us know when we need to roll out bales.
Any calves wintered over are on free choice bales of good hay or haylage and supplemented with 3 lbs of pellets or rolled barley to keep them growing but not fat.

While we do have a barn at both places in case of a calving difficulty, the only shelter here are the trees and the liner roof when they are sold.

If you are really interested, come and stay a while. Who knows, I may even pay you. :D

sorry guys i wasn't trying to sound rude by asking how many cows and how much money its just that i really have an interest in farming and its just hard sometimes to actually get a cost on everything from some government website and i figured i would ask you guys that do it every day for a living or a hobby so again i was not trying to come on hard like town people and that's for answering my questions gcreekrch.

gcreekrch said:
Keagan M said:

Our bred cattle eat 30 to 35 lbs of hay every day of the winter. Winter can be as short as 135 days and as long as 200. If we are short of hay we either cut the numbers back or buy hay if it is reasonably priced. I started cutting hay today and don't expect to be done until the first week in October. Time flies at 3 to 4 mph in the hay meadow.

We do supplement our cows with lick tubs when they are rustling their own living in late fall/early winter because of lower protein in the feed and expectation for a cow to find her own lunch in up to a foot of snow and sometimes -30 temps. Experience has let us know when we need to roll out bales.
Any calves wintered over are on free choice bales of good hay or haylage and supplemented with 3 lbs of pellets or rolled barley to keep them growing but not fat.

While we do have a barn at both places in case of a calving difficulty, the only shelter here are the trees and the liner roof when they are sold.

If you are really interested, come and stay a while. Who knows, I may even pay you. :D
you really need a self propelled rotory swather and double or tripple your sped cutting , oh good way to anwser by way :D

jodywy said:
gcreekrch said:
Keagan M said:

you really need a self propelled rotory swather and double or tripple your sped cutting , oh good way to anwser by way :D

Got a pull type discbine, if you can get over this ground a 6 mph without self destruction I'll buy one just like it. :wink:

jodywy said:
gcreekrch said:
Keagan M said:

Got a pull type discbine, if you can get over this ground a 6 mph without self destruction I'll buy one just like it. :wink:

Latest posts