• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Home Protection

Help Support Ranchers.net:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Been re thinking my Home protection guns lately. I keep a 44 mag basically under the pillow and a old ithaca 16 gauge pump handy.

Heard a story lately of an accidental shooting involving a 44 mag and it going through a couple walls and killing a kids sister. Been thinking of toning down the night stand pistol.

What all does everyone keep at first reach for home protection.

I am thinking of a 9 mm revolver or a 357 with 38 special bullets at home.

In keeping with the topic...Are the guns you guys keep under your pillows loaded at all times :???:

And most all my guns are loaded no matter where I keep them. Probably the only guns I have that are not loaded are some 22's and a over and under sporting gun.

aplusmnt said:
And most all my guns are loaded no matter where I keep them. Probably the only guns I have that are not loaded are some 22's and a over and under sporting gun.

If you keep loaded guns laying around your house you are a damned fool. Just know that if your gun is ever fired that there is about a 99.9% chance that it will kill you or one of your family and about a .01% chance that it will kill an intruder.

Bullhauler said:
aplusmnt said:

If you keep loaded guns laying around your house you are a damned fool. Just know that if your gun is ever fired that there is about a 99.9% chance that it will kill you or one of your family and about a .01% chance that it will kill an intruder.

There are not laying around. They are safe from kids.

You have any proof to substantiate your 99.9% claim? :roll:

Mrs.Greg said:
In keeping with the topic...Are the guns you guys keep under your pillows loaded at all times :???:

An unloaded gun is not even a good boomerang or club when you need it... :wink:

I have a 45 auto "near the bed"- clip in, but none in the chamber-- and it takes an awful big kid to rack one in...Loaded with Gold Dot 45ACP Hollow Points that won't be doing much wall penetrating....Also a 12 gauge 18" barrel scattergun "near the bed" loaded with #2 shot to take care of when the eyes aren't working good in the dark...Not much wall penetration there either...

Grandkids (the same as my kids were) have been shooting a gun since they were big enough to pull a trigger- taught what guns can/ and will do-and informed of gun safety/responsibility...When you grow up with a Dad/Grandpa that straps a gun on as part of his getting dressed every day- guns are no novelty item....

Oldtimer said:
Mrs.Greg said:

I have a 45 auto "near the bed"- clip in, but none in the chamber-- and it takes an awful big kid to rack one in...Loaded with Gold Dot 45ACP Hollow Points that won't be doing much wall penetrating....Also a 12 gauge 18" barrel scattergun "near the bed" loaded with #2 shot to take care of when the eyes aren't working good in the dark...Not much wall penetration there either...

Grandkids (the same as my kids were) have been shooting a gun since they were big enough to pull a trigger- taught what guns can/ and will do-and informed of gun safety/responsibility...When you grow up with a Dad/Grandpa that straps a gun on as part of his getting dressed every day- guns are no novelty item....

I always kept a single action revolver handy. One reason i liked it was no kid could pick it up and just pull trigger, they had to cock it each time fired.

I have never had a 1911 auto but thought it would be handy to have one in chamber but it would not fire first time until cocked with thumb.

I been eye balling my night stand and trying to figure a way to build a secret drawer or false bottom to have one handy but still quick to get to.

Oldtimer said:
Mrs.Greg said:

My issue with loaded guns in the home is,not everybody teaches children to respect a gun. Our children learned YOUNG,and even with toy guns they were taught not to point at another person.It seems the biggest issue comes from visiting kids that parents have never taught gun respect to_Our son in law has a step brother in court system because he shot and killed another teen,loaded gun in home,was "playing" with gun. He had never been around guns or taught about them.The gun owner is also in HUGE trouble for having a loaded,unlocked gun....{Stupid Canadian laws but looks like this is a reason people fought hard for these gun laws in Canada :? }

Mrs.Greg said:
Oldtimer said:
Mrs.Greg said:

My issue with loaded guns in the home is,not everybody teaches children to respect a gun. Our children learned YOUNG,and even with toy guns they were taught not to point at another person.It seems the biggest issue comes from visiting kids that parents have never taught gun respect to_Our son in law has a step brother in court system because he shot and killed another teen,loaded gun in home,was "playing" with gun. He had never been around guns or taught about them.The gun owner is also in HUGE trouble for having a loaded,unlocked gun....{Stupid Canadian laws but looks like this is a reason people fought hard for these gun laws in Canada :? }

Never let our kids have a toy gun! Guns are not toys and kids should never have one in pretend.

But it is good you at least taught them not to point at people.

I think a responsible person will keep guns out of reach from kids, especially if kids frequent their home. But no matter what you do there will always be accidents, the point is do you take away a persons rights to try to stop accidents? If so should we take away the right to drive our kids in our cars so they do not get hurt in driving accidents.

Ps. Really did not want this to turn political, just curious what type of guns everyone uses for home protection.

I have a 9mm on my night stand-one in the chamber and clip in...115gr HP. Only way into the main part of house is thru the kitchen and I have 5 Aussies crated there-I'll know if someone comes in. But never any trouble around here-but just in case.... I live alone and no kids around.

tta stockdogs said:
I have a 9mm on my night stand-one in the chamber and clip in...115gr HP. Only way into the main part of house is thru the kitchen and I have 5 Aussies crated there-I'll know if someone comes in. But never any trouble around here-but just in case.... I live alone and no kids around.

5 Aussies......holy smokes.....that should be a great alarm system!!!

I've got 3 so I know what you mean!! :lol: :lol:

I hear some people like the Taurus Judge a 410/45 revolver. Our local sherriff really believes in using something like #6 shot to keep it from going thru walls. Some peopl say it won't stop someone though.

I was shot by 8 shot, hurt like hell, but I doubt it would have stopped me if I were in a "intruder state of mind"

I would use 4 shot or 2 shot.

jigs said:
I was shot by 8 shot, hurt like hell, but I doubt it would have stopped me if I were in a "intruder state of mind"

that sound like a story that needs to be told............. :eek:

jigs said:

What did you do to make the wife mad? :lol:

Screw the automatics. In the dark, a .357 wheel gun with hollow points is more than sufficient. I have a Ruger GP 100 .357 that is within comfortable reach at night. IMHO, you may as well have a pea shooter as have a 9 mil. Black Jack Pershing found out that a .38 was useless against Muslim Filipinos who were intent on killing infidels during the Philippine Insurrection. John Moses Browning then came up with the M1911A .45 ACP. Hit somebody with that, and they WILL go down.

Be sure to drag the carcass all the way into the house. :wink:

tom4018 said:
I hear some people like the Taurus Judge a 410/45 revolver. Our local sherriff really believes in using something like #6 shot to keep it from going thru walls. Some peopl say it won't stop someone though.

I keep my Judge loaded with three #4 loads and two 45 loads. Ya sure don't have to worry about clearing a doorway with it like you would a long gun. Three #4's at 10- 20 feet will put one hell of a hole in ya.

tom4018 said:

That 45 round will stop about anything !!! Period. The 410 will too if close enough-- and if not will discourage anything they had planned.....

The only thing I want more than a Judge is one of the old .45 ACP military revolvers with the half moon clips--which if I had one I'd get it cut down to a 2 or 3 inch barrel- and just throw a few loaded half moon clips in my pocket to make it the perfect concealed power packing, quick loading revolver...

Latest posts