• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

HOME TOWNED

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Are you trying to distract me again Tommy You didn't answer my question where is the US going to get the beef to cover your domestic demand while you compete with us in the world arena. Remember you increased imports of Beef by over 20% while you didn't have any exports. If we have to cut our exports to you so we can supply Japan and you start competeing with Canada for export markets where is the BEEF COMING FROM to cover you on the HOMEFRONT?

Tam...Are you trying to distract me again Tommy You didn't answer my question where is the US going to get the beef to cover your domestic demand while you compete with us in the world arena.

Not at all Tam, my mind will just not operate over two or three questions at one time.

Aren't we taking boxed beef from y'all right now? I also believe we are taking cattle from Mexico along with trim and beef from Australia and New Zealand.
You are refering to Bullards statement that we do not produce enough beef to supply our own market. The statement is right if we do not import any, but we do, so your question is a mute point.

Now answer my question that you forgot...

Why had you rather send us most of your beef and then let the packers send it to Japan, instead of shipping it to them direct?

Tommy said:
Tam...Are you trying to distract me again Tommy You didn't answer my question where is the US going to get the beef to cover your domestic demand while you compete with us in the world arena.

Not at all Tam, my mind will just not operate over two or three questions at one time.

Aren't we taking boxed beef from y'all right now? I also believe we are taking cattle from Mexico along with trim and beef from Australia and New Zealand.
You are refering to Bullards statement that we do not produce enough beef to supply our own market. The statement is right if we do not import any, but we do, so your question is a mute point.

Now answer my question that you forgot...

Why had you rather send us most of your beef and then let the packers send it to Japan, instead of shipping it to them direct?

Remember you increased imports of Beef by over 20% while you didn't have ANY exports. This increase was just to cover domestic demand. Yes Some of your increase came from Canada in the means of BOXED beef. But If we have to cut our exports to you so we can supply Japan where is the beef going to come from to cover our decrease in exports to you? and where will the beef come from that will cover the beef you now sell to the domestic market that you will no longer sell to them as you will be using it to sell to Japan in the act of competeing for an export market. Do you think Austraila and New Zealand, that now have their foot is in the door in Japan, should cut exports to that market so they can supply the US with more beef just so you can compete in the world arena. Come on Tommy telling me you are covering your domestic beef demand with imported beef is not the answer as if any one of these countries that you are importing from cuts exports to tha Pacific Rim countries so they have the beef to increase imports to you, they have to know that they are just going to add a competeing market into the mix. Why would they do that? We all know that the Pacific Rim markets are the High dollar markets or the US wouldn't be fighting to get them back.

The answer to your question is we would rather not but since we don't have the slaughter capacity to harvest all our cattle, YET we were forced to sell our cattle to US packers. But now that we are increasing capacity in the future we may just ship all our beef direct to the customer and by pass the US altogether. But, If we do that Tommy what do you think that will do to the slaughter plants in the US. I'll tell you, some will close which we have already seen happening because you don't have enough cattle to keep them busy which will result in less competition in the US market place for you cattle. Tell me Tommy what happens when competition for your product drops? Then the remaining US plants have to compete with a country that has a good supply of cattle and some credibility left when it comes to the handling of a BSE issue. What do you think those plants will have to do to get your product sold? Maybe take less which will result in lower prices to you the producer. So be careful of what you wish for Tommy you historical high cattle prices are riding on it.

Tam... But now that we are increasing capacity in the future we may just ship all our beef direct to the customer and by pass the US altogether. But, If we do that Tommy what do you think that will do to the slaughter plants in the US. I'll tell you, some will close which we have already seen happening because you don't have enough cattle to keep them busy which will result in less competition in the US market place for you cattle.

But that will not be your problem will it Tam? You will be shipping your beef direct to the customer.

Tommy said:
Tam... But now that we are increasing capacity in the future we may just ship all our beef direct to the customer and by pass the US altogether. But, If we do that Tommy what do you think that will do to the slaughter plants in the US. I'll tell you, some will close which we have already seen happening because you don't have enough cattle to keep them busy which will result in less competition in the US market place for you cattle.

But that will not be your problem will it Tam? You will be shipping your beef direct to the customer.

Tommy is it wrong of me to point out that your short sighted ideas to protect yourself is hurting Canada in the short term but in the long term it is hurting the US industry worse. I know you don't care who you hurt but I do care as I have family that ranch in the US and I don't care to see your stupid behavior hurt them too. Canada is working their way through this but what is going to happen to the US if you drive slaughter plants into the ground then BSE is found in the US after all the lies R-CALF has told with your support I can't see much good happening there.

Tam...I know you don't care who you hurt but I do care as I have family that ranch in the US and I don't care to see your stupid behavior hurt them too.

You know nothing about me Tam other than I support R-CALF. Is it stupid to want good prices for the cattle I sell? My friend and neighbor sold 106 head of calves yesterday. They brought almost $50 dollars per head more than they would have just a couple weeks ago. A direct result of the border not being opened yet. They are having to pay more for our cattle now because they cannot get yours.
Does your family want to sell cheaper cattle?
It was Canada's behavior that got us all in this mess to start with. I know you will and have said that the US will find BSE, but they haven't had a home grown case up to now.

Tommy: "You know nothing about me Tam other than I support R-CALF. Is it stupid to want good prices for the cattle I sell? My friend and neighbor sold 106 head of calves yesterday. They brought almost $50 dollars per head more than they would have just a couple weeks ago. A direct result of the border not being opened yet."

Tommy,

Are you saying that the recent bump in "CASH" prices is solely a result of the Canadian border temporary ruling????

Yes or no?

T: "They are having to pay more for our cattle now because they cannot get yours."

They couldn't get Canadian cattle "a couple weeks ago" either.

You R-CALFers are so blind to your beliefs that you cannot even see the most obvious.

~SH~

Tam,

You keep saying you are forced to sell to US Packers. Who has the gun to your head???????

I say this to make a point. A problem will never be solved if one can't see alternatives. Canada is actually doing a lot on this front. I really like the idea of funding your smaller plants that aren't federally inspected to get upgraded. Helps Canadian businessman and is a very likely way to increase branded beef programs to increase premiums.

To this, I say get active and get involved now. If you producers don't have a voice early, you will be living with what someone else decides. So far that hasn't worked well for you

HEY TOMMY!

It was Canada's behavior that got us all in this mess to start with.

Do you think you could explain that one to us?

PPRM said:
Tam,

You keep saying you are forced to sell to US Packers. Who has the gun to your head???????

I say this to make a point. A problem will never be solved if one can't see alternatives. Canada is actually doing a lot on this front. I really like the idea of funding your smaller plants that aren't federally inspected to get upgraded. Helps Canadian businessman and is a very likely way to increase branded beef programs to increase premiums.

To this, I say get active and get involved now. If you producers don't have a voice early, you will be living with what someone else decides. So far that hasn't worked well for you

PPRM While you were typeing this I was on a conference deciding about the speaks that the SSGA will have at their convention and one of them we want to have is going to speak on investing in packing plants and what producers should know and do. And another guy from the US is speaking on Packing plants in the US. SSGA also had a big meeting in Moose Jaw a month ago to get the information out about some of the plants and the plans and what we can do as producers. Is that what you mean by get active and get involved?

Tommy said:
Tam...I know you don't care who you hurt but I do care as I have family that ranch in the US and I don't care to see your stupid behavior hurt them too.

You know nothing about me Tam other than I support R-CALF. Is it stupid to want good prices for the cattle I sell? My friend and neighbor sold 106 head of calves yesterday. They brought almost $50 dollars per head more than they would have just a couple weeks ago. A direct result of the border not being opened yet. They are having to pay more for our cattle now because they cannot get yours.
Does your family want to sell cheaper cattle?
It was Canada's behavior that got us all in this mess to start with. I know you will and have said that the US will find BSE, but they haven't had a home grown case up to now.

No Tommy I haven't got you figured out yet, I thought you said you didn't mind competeing with Canadian cattle here at home or in the world market. Now you are saying that the only way your neighbor got those high prices is because they didn't have to compete with our cattle as the border is still closed. I agree in wanting a good price for your animals but at what cost Tommy? You are getting that price at the cost of destroying the other sectors of the beef industry that you rely on to sell your product, the packing plant sector and the retail sector as if the prices keep going up at the grocery store the demand will drop and then what. Think about what you are supporting?

Tam,
Looking at Canadian plants from the view of a potential investor, a huge concern surfaces quite quickly; You once had a number of plants that were swallowed up by big US interests. Those US companies are still around, and are stronger than ever. They not only have wealth, but influence your government's policies. What will be done differently this time to ensure history will not repeat?

Tam said:
PPRM said:
Tam,

PPRM While you were typeing this I was on a conference deciding about the speaks that the SSGA will have at their convention and one of them we want to have is going to speak on investing in packing plants and what producers should know and do. And another guy from the US is speaking on Packing plants in the US. SSGA also had a big meeting in Moose Jaw a month ago to get the information out about some of the plants and the plans and what we can do as producers. Is that what you mean by get active and get involved?

Tam, why don't you bring Charlie Gracey in to speak at the SSGA convention. Some things would be said that our current industry leaders need to hear.

Tam,

Exactly what I meant, glad to hear your are involved. Good luck to you folks as you go forward. I think if you have read enough of my posts I am supportive of the canadian Producer,

PPRM said:
Tam,

Exactly what I meant, glad to hear your are involved. Good luck to you folks as you go forward. I think if you have read enough of my posts I am supportive of the canadian Producer,

And what we appreciate PPRM is that it is sincere support backed by a true understanding of the situation.

Latest posts