• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Homeschooling outlawed by California courts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleArmy said:
Thinking back to Steve's post I think home schooling would be more respectable if they had to take state mandated tests. I think the sadness in some homeschooling is the social injustice it does and also when parents aren't doing the school part and kids grow up with little to no reading and writing skills.

Why would you put any stock in a test given by the "state" when they can't teach kids in their own right? Our school system is a general failure. Money , money, money, on top of more money and our kids are less educated than their grandparents were.

Here's some statistics for you CRM.

I. Independent Evaluations of Homeschooling

1. In 1997, a study of 5,402 homeschool students from 1,657 families was released. It was entitled, "Strengths of Their Own: Home Schoolers Across America." The study demonstrated that homeschoolers, on the average, out-performed their counterparts in the public schools by 30 to 37 percentile points in all subjects. A significant finding when analyzing the data for 8th graders was the evidence that homeschoolers who are homeschooled two or more years score substantially higher than students who have been homeschooled one year or less. The new homeschoolers were scoring on the average in the 59th percentile compared to students homeschooled the last two or more years who scored between 86th and 92nd percentile. i

This was confirmed in another study by Dr. Lawrence Rudner of 20,760 homeschooled students which found the homeschoolers who have homeschooled all their school aged years had the highest academic achievement. This was especially apparent in the higher grades. ii This is a good encouragement to families catch the long-range vision and homeschool through high school.

Another important finding of Strengths of Their Own was that the race of the student does not make any difference. There was no significant difference between minority and white homeschooled students.
For example, in grades K-12, both white and minority students scored, on the average, in the 87th percentile. In math, whites scored in the 82nd percentile while minorities scored in the 77th percentile. In the public schools, however, there is a sharp contrast. White public school eighth grade students, nationally scored the 58th percentile in math and the 57th percentile in reading. Black eighth grade students, on the other hand, scored on the average at the 24th percentile in math and the 28th percentile in reading. Hispanics scored at the 29th percentile in math and the 28th percentile in reading. iii

These findings show that when parents, regardless of race, commit themselves to make the necessary sacrifices and tutor their children at home, almost all obstacles present in other school systems disappear.

Another obstacle that seems to be overcome in homeschooling is the need to spend a great deal of money in order to have a good education. In Strengths of Their Own, Dr. Ray found the average cost per homeschool student is $546 while the average cost per public school student is $5,325. Yet the homeschool children in this study averaged in 85th percentile while the public school students averaged in the 50th percentile on nationally standardized achievement tests.iv

Red Robin said:
kolanuraven said:
Home schools/schooling should be OUTLAWED !!!!
You don't like kids getting a better education for less money? I think government schools should be outlawed. They are a failure.

MANY parents have to work 2 jobs now just to make ends meet.

Who's going to ' teach' the children at home if Mom & Dad are both working 2 or 3 jobs, probably different shifts at that?

I don't think many couples where both work dayshifts are homeschooling. At any rate, that's a poor reason to ban home schooling. You surely have another reason or two. You were educated in a government school weren't you? You should be very bright. :lol: Don't get all mad. I want to hear your reason.

kolanuraven said:
Home schools/schooling should be OUTLAWED !!!!

Have you lost your cotton-picking mind? Home schooled kids generally always do better when they go to college.

Check out the past winners of the National Spelling Bee, among other accomplishments.

Home schooled kids get to learn at the rate they are capable of, not at the rate of the others in the class.

My brother is on the board at the local private school. He was telling me back before school started of a kid who had home-schooled and applied for 7th grade. This kid aced the 7th grade test! Perfect score!

The principal opted to give him higher grade tests and he could have started in the 10TH grade according to his entrance test scores!

According to my him, this happens frequently.

Home schoolers sweep 'Bee'
Place 1st, 2nd, 3rd in national spelling contest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 02, 2000
1:00 am Eastern

By Jon Dougherty
© 2008 WorldNetDaily.com

Beginning in 1925 with only nine contestants, the Louisville Courier-Journal newspaper sponsored the first National Spelling Bee, a competition that every year brings together the nation's finest youth spellers.
Americans -- especially adults -- have often marveled at the abilities of young spellers adeptly managing such grammatical complexities as "gladiolus," Frank Neuhauser's winning word in the first contest in 1925, or "smaragdine," John Capehart's winning word in 1961.

But they are marveling at this year's champion spellers for a different reason. The top three spellers in this year's competition were all home-schooled.

"This is outstanding confirmation of the academic excellence of home schooling," said Michael Farris, president of the Home School Legal Defense Association. "I can't wait until home schoolers are winning Oscars and the presidency."

George Abraham Thampy of Maryland Heights, Mo., accepts his trophy as this year's winner of the Scripps-Howard National Spelling Bee.

Indeed, it may not be long. Although home schoolers comprise just two percent of the school-age population, said Farris, at the outset of this year's contest 27 out of 248 contestants were home-schooled children -- or eleven percent. That figure is up from just under ten percent in 1999.

The first home schooler ever to win the Scripps-Howard News Service's National Spelling Bee (Scripps acquired the rights to the contest in 1941) was Rebecca Sealfon from Brooklyn, New York, in 1997. Since then, an increasing number of home schoolers have been entering annual spelling contests -- and winning.

In 1999, David Beihl, a 13-year-old from South Carolina, won the annual National Geography Spelling Bee.

And this year's Scripps-Howard winner, George Abraham Thampy, a 12-year-old home-schooled student from Maryland Heights, Mo., placed second last week in the National Geography contest, followed by Jonathan Janus of South Carolina in third.

It gets better, Farris said. Behind Thampy's first-place finish were more home schoolers: Sean Conley, 12, in second place, and Alison Miller, 14, in third.

In all, only 178 contestants this year were from public schools. Besides the 27 home schoolers, 24 came from private schools and 19 from parochial schools.

"My mom and dad taught me everything," George said after winning Thursday's 15th and final round.

Mike said:
Home schoolers sweep 'Bee'
Place 1st, 2nd, 3rd in national spelling contest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 02, 2000
1:00 am Eastern

By Jon Dougherty
© 2008 WorldNetDaily.com

Beginning in 1925 with only nine contestants, the Louisville Courier-Journal newspaper sponsored the first National Spelling Bee, a competition that every year brings together the nation's finest youth spellers.
Americans -- especially adults -- have often marveled at the abilities of young spellers adeptly managing such grammatical complexities as "gladiolus," Frank Neuhauser's winning word in the first contest in 1925, or "smaragdine," John Capehart's winning word in 1961.

But they are marveling at this year's champion spellers for a different reason. The top three spellers in this year's competition were all home-schooled.

"This is outstanding confirmation of the academic excellence of home schooling," said Michael Farris, president of the Home School Legal Defense Association. "I can't wait until home schoolers are winning Oscars and the presidency."

George Abraham Thampy of Maryland Heights, Mo., accepts his trophy as this year's winner of the Scripps-Howard National Spelling Bee.

Indeed, it may not be long. Although home schoolers comprise just two percent of the school-age population, said Farris, at the outset of this year's contest 27 out of 248 contestants were home-schooled children -- or eleven percent. That figure is up from just under ten percent in 1999.

The first home schooler ever to win the Scripps-Howard News Service's National Spelling Bee (Scripps acquired the rights to the contest in 1941) was Rebecca Sealfon from Brooklyn, New York, in 1997. Since then, an increasing number of home schoolers have been entering annual spelling contests -- and winning.

In 1999, David Beihl, a 13-year-old from South Carolina, won the annual National Geography Spelling Bee.

And this year's Scripps-Howard winner, George Abraham Thampy, a 12-year-old home-schooled student from Maryland Heights, Mo., placed second last week in the National Geography contest, followed by Jonathan Janus of South Carolina in third.

It gets better, Farris said. Behind Thampy's first-place finish were more home schoolers: Sean Conley, 12, in second place, and Alison Miller, 14, in third.

In all, only 178 contestants this year were from public schools. Besides the 27 home schoolers, 24 came from private schools and 19 from parochial schools.

"My mom and dad taught me everything," George said after winning Thursday's 15th and final round.

Winning a Spelling bee doesn't say anything but that on that particular day you were the best speller. Question is, because you were home schooled did you spend every waking minute preparing, unlike other students who probably spent much of their time on other subjects as well?

I have been associated with education practically all my life and I have yet to see a home-schooled child who was on par with regular schooled students of the same age generally speaking. The only exception that I remember is when one was schooled at home by a parent who was a former teacher. And even then the student had social skills that were lacking. I am sure that there are some exceptions, especially if the parents are both college graduates/professionals but in most cases that is the exception not the norm. MOST home shoolers don't get the education of a public school student but they get what their parents think they ought to have, maybe, and its a free country, I guess. I agree with Steve MOST parents don't have the skills/education necessary to home school. Nor do most have the time.

TSR. Home schooling now is not like the homeschooling of just a few years ago.

There are on-line programs that can be tailored to a child's learning pace and abilities. These programs are put together very meticulously by able professionals.

The parents of the kid's using these curriculums need not be Education majors.

Come on and join us in the 21st century. :wink:

Mike said:

There are on-line programs that can be tailored to a child's learning pace and abilities. These programs are put together very meticulously by able professionals.

You keep mentioning " pace".....you want 8th graders being age 18? That's what you'll have by your logic. This is NOT only about Alabama.... :roll: :roll:

If a kid can not keep pace in public school...then there are other underlying issues .

Most of the people who promote home schooling , studies have shown over the years , were themselves the kids in their peer group that had a hard time in school keeping up, lower grade averages, felt picked on or bullied at times or felt embarassed with their own school performance.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................................

kolanuraven said:
Mike said:

You keep mentioning " pace".....you want 8th graders being age 18? That's what you'll have by your logic. This is NOT only about Alabama.... :roll: :roll:

If a kid can not keep pace in public school...then there are other underlying issues .

Most of the people who promote home schooling , studies have shown over the years , were themselves the kids in their peer group that had a hard time in school keeping up, lower grade averages, felt picked on or bullied at times or felt embarassed with their own school performance.

Some kids can move through a book faster than others. Public schools have no choice but to make the faster ones slow down to the pace of the mediocre ones where the more gifted have tendency to get bored.

My youngest son went through this in school. The principal suggested we either move him to an advanced school (not cheap) and to let him take the ACT test to see where he stood.

He made a 32 on it and went straight from the 10th grade to a local college.

When little "Keneshiondra" can't even spell the name of the street she lives on, which is "A" street, you think I want to hold my kid back to her learning level? :roll:

Mike said:
kolanuraven said:
Mike said:

Some kids can move through a book faster than others. Public schools have no choice but to make the faster ones slow down to the pace of the mediocre ones where the more gifted have tendency to get bored.

My youngest son went through this in school. The principal suggested we either move him to an advanced school (not cheap) and to let him take the ACT test to see where he stood.

He made a 32 on it and went straight from the 10th grade to a local college.

When little "Keneshiondra" can't even spell the name of the street she lives on, which is "A" street, you think I want to hold my kid back to her learning level? :roll:

I assure you Mike I have seen some of these programs you mention. SOME are not toobad but IMO many do nothing that couldn't be achieved in the public school. As a matter of fact most often the public school curriculum is equal to or better than those programs.
I might add congratulations to your son, I am sure he's a smart boy. He almost did as well as my close relative on the ACT who went to our local high school (he made a 33).
:wink:
A computer cannot take the place of a skilled professional, but together they are even better. And I agree with Kola, MOST people who advocate home schooling do so because of the various reasons she mentioned. Just what I have observed over the years.

Red Robin said:
By Bob Unruh
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

A California court has ruled that several children in one homeschool family must be enrolled in a public school or "legally qualified" private school, and must attend, sending ripples of shock into the nation's homeschooling advocates as the family reviews its options for appeal.

The ruling came in a case brought against Phillip and Mary Long over the education being provided to two of their eight children. They are considering an appeal to the state Supreme Court, because they have homeschooled all of their children, the oldest now 29, because of various anti-Christian influences in California's public schools.

The decision from the 2nd Appellate Court in Los Angeles granted a special petition brought by lawyers appointed to represent the two youngest children after the family's homeschooling was brought to the attention of child advocates.

(Story continues below)

"We find no reason to strike down the Legislature's evaluation of what constitutes an adequate education scheme sufficient to promote the 'general diffusion of knowledge and intelligence,'" the court said in the case. "We agree … 'the educational program of the State of California was designed to promote the general welfare of all the people and was not designed to accommodate the personal ideas of any individual in the field of education.'"

The words echo the ideas of officials from Germany, where homeschooling has been outlawed since 1938 under a law adopted when Adolf Hitler decided he wanted the state, and no one else, to control the minds of the nation's youth.

Wolfgang Drautz, consul general for the Federal Republic of Germany, has said "school teaches not only knowledge but also social conduct, encourages dialogue among people of different beliefs and cultures, and helps students to become responsible citizens."

Specifically, the appeals court said, the trial court had found that "keeping the children at home deprived them of situations where (1) they could interact with people outside the family, (2) there are people who could provide help if something is amiss in the children's lives, and (3) they could develop emotionally in a broader world than the parents' 'cloistered' setting."

The appeals ruling said California law requires "persons between the ages of six and 18" to be in school, "the public full-time day school," with exemptions being allowed for those in a "private full-time day school" or those "instructed by a tutor who holds a valid state teaching credential for the grade being taught."

The judges ruled in the case involving the Longs the family failed to demonstrate "that mother has a teaching credential such that the children can be said to be receiving an education from a credentialed tutor," and that their involvement and supervision by Sunland Christian School's independent study programs was of no value.

Nor did the family's religious beliefs matter to the court.

Their "sincerely held religious beliefs" are "not the quality of evidence that permits us to say that application of California's compulsory public school education law to them violates their First Amendment rights."

"Such sparse representations are too easily asserted by any parent who wishes to homeschool his or her child," the court concluded.

The father, Phillip Long, said the family is working on ways to appeal to the state Supreme Court, because he won't allow the pro-homosexual, pro-bisexual, pro-transgender agenda of California's public schools, on which WND previously has reported, to indoctrinate his children.

"We just don't want them teaching our children," he told WND. "They teach things that are totally contrary to what we believe. They put questions in our children's minds we don't feel they're ready for.

"When they are much more mature, they can deal with these issues, alternative lifestyles, and such, or whether they came from primordial slop. At the present time it's my job to teach them the correct way of thinking," he said.

"We're going to appeal. We have to. I don't want to put my children in a public school system that teaches ideologies I don't believe in," he said.

A spokesman for the Home School Legal Defense Association, one of the world's premiere homeschooling advocacy organizations, said the group's experts were analyzing the impact of the decision.

"It's a very unfortunate decision," he said.

Randy Thomasson, of Campaign for Children and Families, said under California law parents have the legal right to create a private school in their home and enroll their own children.

"Children belong to the parents, not to the state," he said. But he acknowledged that there's a great deal of misinformation about the status of homeschooling in California.

"For years the government school establishment has been lying to parents about the law. Just this week, a Los Angeles Unified school district employee lied to a mother who wanted to homeschool, telling her you must have a license, you must be credentialed and you must follow all the state curriculum. That's three lies in one sentence."

"Now we have judges going crazy and actively separating children from their parents."

A legal outline for parents' homeschool rights in California, published by Family Protection Ministries, confirmed Thomasson's description.

The state's legal options for home educators include establishing a private school in their home by filing a private school affidavit with state regulators or enrolling in private school satellite instruction programs or independent study programs, it said.

The Long family had been involved in such a program with Sunland Christian School, but the appeals court took the extraordinary step of banning the family from being involved in that organization any longer, since it was "willing to participate in the deprivation of the children's right to a legal education."

A number of groups already have assembled in California under the Rescue Your Child slogan to encourage parents to withdraw their children from the state's public school system.

It's because the California Legislature and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger worked together to establish Senate Bill 777 and Assembly Bill 394 as law, plans that institutionalize the promotion of homosexuality, bisexuality, transgenderism and other alternative lifestyle choices.

"First, [California] law allowed public schools to voluntarily promote homosexuality, bisexuality and transsexuality. Then, the law required public schools to accept homosexual, bisexual and transsexual teachers as role models for impressionable children. Now, the law has been changed to effectively require the positive portrayal of homosexuality, bisexuality and transsexuality to 6 million children in California government-controlled schools," said Thomasson.

Even insiders joined in the call for an abandonment of California's public districts. Veteran public school teacher Nadine Williams of Torrance said the sexual indoctrination laws have motivated her to keep her grandchildren out of the very public schools she used to support.

The Discover Christian Schools website reports getting thousands of hits daily from parents and others seeking information about alternatives to California's public schools.

WND reported leaders of the campaign called California Exodus say they hope to encourage parents of 600,000 children to withdraw them from the public districts this year.

The new law itself technically bans in any school texts, events, class or activities any discriminatory bias against those who have chosen alternative sexual lifestyles, said Meredith Turney, legislative liaison for Capitol Resource Institute.

There are no similar protections for students with traditional or conservative lifestyles and beliefs, however. Offenders will face the wrath of the state Department of Education, up to and including lawsuits.

"SB 777 will result in reverse discrimination against students with religious and traditional family values. These students have lost their voice as the direct result of Gov. Schwarzenegger's unbelievable decision. The terms 'mom and dad' or 'husband and wife' could promote discrimination against homosexuals if a same-sex couple is not also featured," she said.

Karen England, chief of CRI, told WND that the law is not a list of banned words, including "mom" and "dad." But she said the requirement is that the law bans discriminatory bias and the effect will be to ban such terminology.

"Having 'mom' and 'dad' promotes a discriminatory bias. You have to either get rid of 'mom' and 'dad' or include everything when talking about [parental issues]," she said. "They [promoters of sexual alternative lifestyles] do consider that discriminatory."

The California plan still is facing a court challenge on its constitutionality and a possible vote of the people of California if an initiative effort succeeds.

I don't think they have to attend a public school because the court said they could attend a private school. They just want to make a big deal oout of it.

Steve said:
there is more then likely not a person on this board who wouldn't be considered a conservative in california..

Arnold ran as a republican,.. just as Rudy did in New York city..

when your views are moderate, there is little room in the ultra left Democratic parties in liberal states so the moderates run under the republican banner...

but arguing over who is left of who distracts from the real debate... liberal states such as california taking over parental rights..

While I agree that some parents are ill equipped to teach their children in a homeschool environment,.. simply testing the children and looking at their scores would indicate if they are being taught the lessons...

I don't know how many homeschoolers you know but I have seen many when I delivered mail and also have seen the products of homeschooling later when I taught at a community college and now as a substitute teacher. Your use of the term "some" should probably be changed to "many" as my experience has shown me that many parents who try homeschooling are NOT qualified to teach much of anything. Most of the homeschooling that I have witnessed is done like this couple because of religious views. And nothing wrong with that. But there is more to it than religion. Especially with younger children. One of the main things is socialization. Children who not have the opportunity to interact with other children tend to have problems later. I am generalizing but I have seen many times. One friend of mine decided to pull her children out of public school beause of religious values. She was a trained teacher who had taught until she had her youngest son. She stayed home and taught the kids. The ages ranged from newborn to Jr high. After 3 years, she put them back in school because they were getting too far behind scholastically and socially. She is a very good teacher. In Illinois, you could get up to about $3000 for homeschooling from the state and a lot of people did it just for that. They didn't care about school. Their kids many just played all day. The parents have to be very special to successfully teach their children at home. Didn't mean to get on the soap box.

I do agree that children learn at a different pace...Some children skip grades well others are held back....I feel if either those who are moved ahead to far to fast or are held back,lose out on making good friends and there fore lack the social skills to enjoy the part of a childs life that is about fun....I also understand the frustration that some parents may have with the public school system,from its curiculum to some of those who teach it......

I feel home school offers many negative ideals in it's principle but I do believe it is a parents right to decide ....

If your child has a learning dissability what do home schoolers do to help thier children who suffer from such hurdles?How do home schooled children learn about their community?Do they go on field trips with mom everytime?How do they learn to become independent if mom and dad are there every single hour of the day?

Not all sports/arts are offered in the cumminty,take wreastling or band class as examples.

I think if people take the time they are putting into home schooling and instead put that effort towards making the public schools better,then every one wins....Even if you feel home school is the best,your children still have to live in a world educated through the public system...So would it not make sense to fix a problem for all,then hide in your own little corner...

Is the answer home schooling or retooling an education system that all kids can excell in?

One more thing,do home school children have junior and senior proms,football rallies or even hot dog days?

nonothing said:
I do agree that children learn at a different pace...Some children skip grades well others are held back....I feel if either those who are moved ahead to far to fast or are held back,lose out on making good friends and there fore lack the social skills to enjoy the part of a childs life that is about fun....I also understand the frustration that some parents may have with the public school system,from its curiculum to some of those who teach it......

I feel home school offers many negative ideals in it's principle but I do believe it is a parents right to decide ....

If your child has a learning dissability what do home schoolers do to help thier children who suffer from such hurdles?How do home schooled children learn about their community?Do they go on field trips with mom everytime?How do they learn to become independent if mom and dad are there every single hour of the day?

Not all sports/arts are offered in the cumminty,take wreastling or band class as examples.

I think if people take the time they are putting into home schooling and instead put that effort towards making the public schools better,then every one wins....Even if you feel home school is the best,your children still have to live in a world educated through the public system...So would it not make sense to fix a problem for all,then hide in your own little corner...

Is the answer home schooling or retooling an education system that all kids can excell in?

One more thing,do home school children have junior and senior proms,football rallies or even hot dog days?

This is the most cognitive post I have ever read by you, nono. Cudos

Homeschooled children around here all join each other at a playground, pool, or even each others' house for social networking on a regular basis.

Most of them play sports in different leagues designed for the public.

It's not as if they never see other children.

The best part about the home schooled kids is that they can get in more hours of school work per day than the ones that go to public school. No travel time, etc. and is much less expensive, i.e. special school clothes, lunchmoney, etc. not needed.

Good parents know what's best for their kids more than government does.

Problem is.......who is to say who is a good parent, and who is a bad one?

If the parents are following a curiculum{sp},the kids still get social activity,whether it be a church activity or a joined activity,I see no reason at all to ban homeschooling. Over the last few years I've changed my mind about homeschooling. At one time the kids were socially backward but now I understand that there are activities planned for get togethers with other homeschooling families.The kids seem to be doing pretty darned good. I don't know that I feel that a State or in our case a Province should have the right to outlaw homeschooling....regulate it yes,outlaw it no.

I'm against home schooling until some clear rules are set. I will go along with the fact there are probably some (a few) parents doing their children justice home schooling. However, most ok let me say most I know that are home schooling are doing it around their schedules and half way. Plus they are not stimulating their children socially. To many parents use their home schooled children as hired men or babysitters and that I'm strongly against.

If home schoolers were doing so well then why are state tests scary?

Arkansas
In Arkansas, for the 1987-88 school term, homeschool children, on the average, scored in 75% on the Metropolitan Achievement Test 6. They out-scored public school children in every subject (Reading, Math, Language, Science, and Social Studies) and at every grade level. For example, at the 10th grade level public school children scored an average of 53rd percentile in social studies, while homeschool children scored at the 73rd percentile. In science, an area in which homeschoolers are often criticized for lack of facilities, the homeschoolers scored, on the average, 85th percentile in fourth grade, 73rd percentile in seventh grade, and 65th percentile in tenth grade. The public school students, on the other hand, scored much lower in science: 66th percentile in fourth grade, 62nd percentile in seventh, and 53rd percentile in tenth.

Nebraska
In Nebraska, out of 259 homeschooled children who returned to public or non-public schools, 134 of them were automatically placed in their grade level according to their age without testing. Of the remaining who were given entrance tests, 33 were above grade level, 43 were at grade level, and 29 were below grade level. Approximately 88 percent of the returning students were at or above grade level after being homeschooled for a period of time. This survey was the result of the responses of 429 accredited schools. xxiii

The last significant statistic from the Strengths of Their Own study regards the affect of government regulation on homeschooling. Dr. Brian Ray compared the impact of government regulation on the academic performance of homeschool students and he found no positive correlation. In other words, whether a state had a high degree of regulation (i.e., curriculum approval, teacher qualifications, testing, home visits) or a state had no regulation of homeschoolers, the homeschooled students in both categories of states performed the same. The students all scored on the average in the 86th percentile regardless of state regulation.

Any number below is reason for concern. I would like to see the stats if they were placed at the right level six weeks later.

Latest posts