• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Homeschooling outlawed by California courts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleArmy said:
Any number below is reason for concern. I would like to see the stats if they were placed at the right level six weeks later.
I understand your comment and agree but do you honestly think that all the students could pass a grade level test in public school? I know some graduates that can't read or write. I also know several that can't count change. Some kids just aren't as able as others. You can't stop that.

Red Robin said:
CattleArmy said:
Any number below is reason for concern. I would like to see the stats if they were placed at the right level six weeks later.
I understand your comment and agree but do you honestly think that all the students could pass a grade level test in public school? I know some graduates that can't read or write. I also know several that can't count change. Some kids just aren't as able as others. You can't stop that.

You are right about that. However, another plus to the public school system is their are programs for children with disabilities. There are newer programs to in which they are putting the children to work - letting them go in the afternoon session to jobs to help them prepare for job skills matched to their abilities.

Red Robin said:
CattleArmy said:

You are right about that. However, another plus to the public school system is their are programs for children with disabilities. There are newer programs to in which they are putting the children to work - letting them go in the afternoon session to jobs to help them prepare for job skills matched to their abilities.

I've seen what I would consider to be both good and bad with home schooling families, but maybe if school vouchers were the norm there would be less need for home schooling in the first place.

I just have to chime in on this one as this has become a major issue within our county. I have never had a problem with homeschooling at all, it is a right guaranteed by the constitution. BUT, we are now having homeschoolers taking over 4-H as the way to teach their kids about social things, interactions with others, public presence, dealing with people in general. It is turning 4-H into a social stimuli for homeschooled kids and it is turning other public schooled kids away from 4-H. I thought that it was just here but come to find out it is nation wide and they are trying to change the 4-H curriculum to take care of home schooling requirements. And the best thing, I get to deal with it again tommorrow.

nonothing said:
Mike said:
o I guess that makes mike the true Idiot of the Day... ..You can start laughing now katrina.......

She and the rest of us will be too busy laughing at you for this post.

Read the article again. Read it slow. :roll:

I do not think you or Katrina are that well liked,laughing at others you may get a few jump on board with ,but i suspect both you and her if the truth be known,annoy alot of people here.......as I said go make some jam for eachother..You both lack class......

Can you actually say this last response of yours had any class?

Katrina has never annoyed me.. and I often find humor in her posts.. and would even say that she is very well liked..

TSR
I guess. I agree with Steve MOST parents don't have the skills/education necessary to home school. Nor do most have the time.

While I agree that some parents are ill equipped to teach their children in a homeschool environment, not most..

Of every family that I know, they have all done an excellent job..

While three families is not a large number, I don't know of any others and the three are all doing an excellent job.. so far two children have gone on to college, and all the rest seem incredibly bright and well taught..

I was fed up with our local school and it's anti-Christian preaching and my child being held back so we put him in a private school on my military salary. but he went to a tech school for high school and is now at one of the top engineering schools in the country..

Cal
but maybe if school vouchers were the norm there would be less need for home schooling in the first place.

I totally agree.. sure would have helped when My wife and I decided we had enough with our local school..

most of all it would help actually improve public schools as the only ones left in them would be the teachers' children.... :wink: :roll: :wink: :roll:

Steve said:
nonothing said:
Mike said:
She and the rest of us will be too busy laughing at you for this post.

Read the article again. Read it slow. :roll:

I do not think you or Katrina are that well liked,laughing at others you may get a few jump on board with ,but i suspect both you and her if the truth be known,annoy alot of people here.......as I said go make some jam for eachother..You both lack class......

Can you actually say this last response of yours had any class?

Katrina has never annoyed me.. and I often find humor in her posts.. and would even say that she is very well liked..

Yes I can Steve..Mike must feel bad now,you never singled him out..... :eek:

Cal said:
I've seen what I would consider to be both good and bad with home schooling families, but maybe if school vouchers were the norm there would be less need for home schooling in the first place.
School vouchers :???:

Mrs.Greg said:
Cal said:

"A school voucher, also called an education voucher, is a certificate by which parents are given the ability to pay for the education of their children at a school of their choice",..

Many in the US send their children to private schools, charter schools, parochial school or home-school and must pay the cost themselves..

a voucher would assist the parents in paying for the child's education.. and make a choice as to which school they go to..

locally our school system is in shambles.. cost per student ($19,323) is way over the state average and well above the national average.. yet we have the highest drop out rate in the state and failing students, with less then 60% at grade level proficiency..

so for almost $20,000 you get almost 20% who drop out.. and 40% of each grade failing.... compared to a local private school that is less then $5000 and shows a 99% graduation rate and 100% state testing proficiency..

I would say offering a voucher would save the Taxpayers a bunch of money.... and alot of students wouldn't get cheated out of an education..

Steve said:
Mrs.Greg said:
Cal said:

"A school voucher, also called an education voucher, is a certificate by which parents are given the ability to pay for the education of their children at a school of their choice",..

Many in the US send their children to private schools, charter schools, parochial school or home-school and must pay the cost themselves..

a voucher would assist the parents in paying for the child's education.. and make a choice as to which school they go to..

locally our school system is in shambles.. cost per student ($19,323) is way over the state average and well above the national average.. yet we have the highest drop out rate in the state and failing students, with less then 60% at grade level proficiency..

so for almost $20,000 you get almost 20% who drop out.. and 40% of each grade failing.... compared to a local private school that is less then $5000 and shows a 99% graduation rate and 100% state testing proficiency..

I would say offering a voucher would save the Taxpayers a bunch of money.... and alot of students wouldn't get cheated out of an education..

20/20 did a story on education and one country I forget which one used school vouchers and they blew American kids away in test scores. They said teachers had to put some effort to keep their jobs because if a school had bad teachers then parents would send them to another school and if not enough kids then teachers got laid off.

A parent should be able to send their kid to any school they wish. And not have to pay out of our pockets when we pay taxes for it.

Steve said:
Mrs.Greg said:
Cal said:

Let me see if I got this right.....the voucher would come from the government,but from what you pay for school taxes? Then the voucher can be used at any school of your choice?Did I get that right?

I honestly can't tell you how private schools in Canada work,I know if theres a Christian school in your area your kids have the option of going there,the taxes are paid to that school,but it depends on how many are registered how well the school does money wise.We've lost lots of Catholic schools because of that.

Never heard of these voucher things before,and here in Canada the private etc schools aren't a huge thing.

aplusmnt said:
A parent should be able to send their kid to any school they wish. And not have to pay out of our pockets when we pay taxes for it.

We pay taxes so ALL kids can get an education, not just our own kids. It is a critical nation interest issue that all kids residing within our borders have the best possible education. If you want something extra or something special, then be prepared to pay for it....out of your own pocket, in addition to any taxes you pay.

Aminus...are you wanting gov't assistance to educate your child?

I thought you were one of those' every man for himself' kinda folks?

kolanuraven said:

The voucher system gives the taxpayer his own money back to make a choice in the education decisions in deciding where his child will go to school. It works. It works very well in every place it has been tried.

It puts competition back in the education equation...............

One problem I have observed for a long while...the difference between my dad (who didn't get to finish school) is that he thought getting an education was a privilege and not a RIGHT.

Too many kids these days think it is their RIGHT or that they HAVE to go to school. They don't realize that it truly is a privilege, so they don't have the right attitude about it.

We've thrown all this money at education, yet kids who are gifted don't seem to get the extras they deserve and need, because so much is spent on bringing so many others up to 'average'.

FWIW

Mike said:
kolanuraven said:

The voucher system gives the taxpayer his own money back to make a choice in the education decisions in deciding where his child will go to school. It works. It works very well in every place it has been tried.

People pay taxes a different percentage rates....are you gonna dole out vouchers according to that then?

If you do..then you are creating an unequal playing field.

The rich will get more money and the poor will get less toward their vouchers.

How is it decided who gets how much?

kolanuraven said:
Mike said:
kolanuraven said:

People pay taxes a different percentage rates....are you gonna dole out vouchers according to that then?

If you do..then you are creating an unequal playing field.

The rich will get more money and the poor will get less toward their vouchers.

How is it decided who gets how much?

OH???????? Are you admitting that the RICH do pay more in taxes? And at a higher proportion rate?:lol:

Seriously, the public schools know exactly how much it costs for each student.

The voucher is based on the average cost for each student in each area. Those funds will have been paid in to the system by taxpayers on the whole. That is a given.

It's not a lot different from the rules now in that if a student goes to a school that has a low rate on achievement test grades, the parents may opt out on that school and choose to send their child to another.

More choices are better in almost every situation.

In our local public school system, it costs approx. $7,000.00 per year for each student, whereas our local private school does a better job on less than half that amount.

The NEA has been fighting the voucher notion ever since Bush Sr. brought it up back in the early 90's.

It would actually make teachers/schools compete for students, and union rules do not condone this at all.

Latest posts