• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hooker county triplets

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleRMe

Reaction score
A cow in Hooker county in the Nebraska Sandhills is now the proud mother of not one, not two, but three calves. The bull weighed in at 95 lbs with the two heifers each in at 75lbs. Plus it made front page news of the local paper!

We've had two sets of twins this year but triplets and that big ........wow!

Wow is right! Our neighbor had triplets (well a cow did LOL), think they were much smaller though.

What breed was the cow??? She must have been a large animal and I would love to have a hiefer out of her.

kolanuraven said:
!!!!! OUCH!!!!!

typical female response....
women always complain about the pain associated with birth, you never hear men whine about putting it in there, so why whine about it coming out??? :wink: :!: :wink:

jigs said:
kolanuraven said:
!!!!! OUCH!!!!!

typical female response....
women always complain about the pain associated with birth, you never hear men whine about putting it in there, so why whine about it coming out??? :wink: :!: :wink:

Why does your response surprise me??? :lol: :lol: :lol: sounds like something the hubby would have said! :roll: :wink:

CattleRMe said:
A cow in Hooker county in the Nebraska Sandhills is now the proud mother of not one, not two, but three calves. The bull weighed in at 95 lbs with the two heifers each in at 75lbs. Plus it made front page news of the local paper!

Good Grief! That's equivalent to one calf weighing 185 lbs!! Feed that momma pretty good! The heifers will probably be free-martins. Are they stunted or deformed in any way?

DOC HARRIS

Well jigs the only time you guys complain about pain is a kidney stone. :roll: :lol: :lol: :oops: Nice calves, did the mom have triplets before or only singles? The boss here and the night calver pulled a whooper of a calf the other night, it weighted in at over 145 lbs. Now the is ouch :!: :!: :!:

hometowngurl said:
Well jigs the only time you guys complain about pain is a kidney stone. :roll: :lol: :lol: :oops: Nice calves, did the mom have triplets before or only singles? The boss here and the night calver pulled a whooper of a calf the other night, it weighted in at over 145 lbs. Now the is ouch :!: :!: :!:

The ranch where you live, hometowngurl, had a cow that delivered triplets quite a few years ago. The local newspaper editor came down to take pictures. The boss's four little boys were in the picture with the cow and three baby calves. The editor described the photo op as "trying to keep seven rubber balls all under water at the same time", as it was hard getting all the participants to simultaneously look at the camera for the shot to be clicked.

Your 145 pound calf beat our all-time record calf by ten pounds. That's fine with me. :) Charolais, I presume?

My daddy was a dairy farmer (try not to hold it against me! At least I saw the light and changed congregations) and one of those little jersey cows of his had quints!!! But they were all DOA, delivered naturally. Did the Hooker county cow have a section?

theHiredMansWife said:
Well jigs the only time you guys complain about pain is a kidney stone
Frankly, I'd rather go through another drug-free labor than have another lodged kidney stone. :shock:

Amen, sister!! :lol: :lol: At least in labor you get something warm/fuzzy/and loving to take home!!! with a kidney stone, you get something in a cup to take home and show the kids who usually roll their eyes and say "ewwww, Moooommmmm...don't go showing this to my friends" :wink: :wink:

Not to mention that labor comes in waves. The kidney stone was constant agony. (For the entire 70 miles to our nearest hospital...)
God bless Demerol.

The Flight for Life was fun though. The only time I've ever flown and the crew was tickled to have someone who was conscious so they could dip the plane and show me the "sights" on our way to Rapid :D

George said:
What breed was the cow??? She must have been a large animal and I would love to have a hiefer out of her.

A herford. All three of the calves had classic herford markings.

DOC HARRIS said:
CattleRMe said:

Good Grief! That's equivalent to one calf weighing 185 lbs!! Feed that momma pretty good! The heifers will probably be free-martins. Are they stunted or deformed in any way?

DOC HARRIS

No they are normal calves. But yes I would guess they weill be free-martins also.

Too weird.

Front page of today's paper:
Someone in our county just had triplets, too. Also a Hereford mama, but the bull was Angus.
Two heifers and a bull. Each approximately 40 pounds at birth, they're two weeks old now and still doing well.

Yes Soapweed it is a charlais. Hubby says it is the biggest calf he ever saw that was a newborn and yes I remember the article in the paper about the triplets that they had here, it was "SOME" picture. :lol: :roll: :wink:

Latest posts